I operated a STR in the ADU of my first home myself and had a lot of fun. Always intended to do that again after I sold the house but life happens and the properties I invested in after that aren't suitable or ready to be STRs. I have been intrigued by the idea of co-hosting since I don't have my own rental to operate atm, but wasn't ready to commit to being on the hook 24/7. Now I'm considering offering some services for out of state investors to be their 'boots on the ground' in my area.
My question is: As an owner-operator/self-manager, what are some services you would happily pay someone else to do for you? Tasks would be paid for if/when they are requested as opposed to a traditional property management commission.
E.g. - Inspections after cleanings/before check in, including inventory check.
- Drive-by occupancy/car count
- Owner vacation management coverage (handling communications so that you can take a break)
Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
This would be wonderful for out of state investors or even PM companies. If you can build relationships and offer the services you have listed, I'm sure out of state owners would be glad to have you on their team!
I pay a local RE agent to help show the property and make sure its cleaned out well between tenants. I also pay her to do annual condition checks of the property.
You could pay someone to handle boarding up the home in case of an impending tropical storm or hurricane. Its such an important thing to do for insurance reasons, that its worth paying someone to do. I wouldn't rely on a tenant to do it unless you have a good relationship with the tenant and they are responsible.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
We are a full service PM and we will likely shortly be adding limited service on the listing (similar to Evolve). There is a need more for the boots on the ground so anything you can do for managing maintenance and cleaning would likely be a value add, depending on the market and your potential competition. You may likely be able to sell your serviced B2B to PM companies as well.