How to Build a Geodome for AirBnB

How to Build a Geodome for AirBnB

Real Estate Agent Ā· Chicago, IL Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 48 posts Ā· 43 votes

I recently finished documenting my build and design process for the Geodome I launched last year on AirBnb and wanted to share with the host community - I tried to build one of the most luxury Geodomes on the market, and it wasn't easy!

I couldn't find any quality guides on how to put it all together before I started, so I decided to make this so the next person trying wouldn't also underestimate by 100% :)

Building a geodome as an Airbnb rental can be a fantastic investment, boosting property value and attracting adventurous guests. Its also harder and more expensive than you probably would guess, unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. The total cost for my 27' luxury geodome was around $88,800 (excluding land) and consists of the following step and costs:

  1. Zoning considerations
  2. Geodome structure and accessories - $8,500
  3. Site preparation - $3,000
  4. Backfilling - $600
  5. Foundation - $3,000
  6. Decking material - $12,000
  7. Decking labor - $8,000
  8. Geodome construction labor - $4,200
  9. Flooring - $5,000
  10. Electrical wiring and labor - $5,000
  11. Interior wood divider - $2,500
  12. Hot tub - $13,000
  13. Furnishings - $10,000
  14. Miscellaneous costs and outdoor shower - $4,000

The total costs for a geodome will range from a bare min of $25k to a max of $100k, depending on size, amenities and other factors like labor and material costs.

Financing options include all cash, incorporating into a new house construction loan, SBA loans, or private money. A well-constructed geodome can rent for $150-$200+/night. I build mine alongside a cabin, so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage. 

I'd love to answer any questions or help in any way if anyone else is interested in building something similar!

3Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2023 Ā· 188 posts Ā· 111 votes
2y

Can I see the final picture of the product?! This is so exciting

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 Ā· 188 posts Ā· 111 votes
    2y

    Can I see the final picture of the product?! This is so exciting

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA Ā· Member since 2016 Ā· 8k+ posts Ā· 7k+ votes
    2y

    Interesting. Not my cup of tea.

  • Real Estate Agent Ā· Chicago, IL Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 48 posts Ā· 43 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joel Oh:

    Can I see the final picture of the product?! This is so exciting


     You can find the Airbnb link and all the pictures here. 

  • Real Estate Agent Ā· Chicago, IL Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 48 posts Ā· 43 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Interesting. Not my cup of tea.


     More tea for me then 😁. It's been a pretty wildly successful build, almost doubling the #2 airbnbs revenue in my small market

  • Member since 2023 Ā· 188 posts Ā· 111 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:
    Quote from @Joel Oh:

    Can I see the final picture of the product?! This is so exciting


     You can find the Airbnb link and all the pictures here. 

    What a beautiful property! Have you tried using your photo 18 as your main picture? Your house is beautiful but 18 is an eye catcher! Super cute! Thank you for sharing 
  • Real Estate Agent Ā· Chicago, IL Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 48 posts Ā· 43 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joel Oh:
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:
    Quote from @Joel Oh:

    Can I see the final picture of the product?! This is so exciting


     You can find the Airbnb link and all the pictures here. 

    What a beautiful property! Have you tried using your photo 18 as your main picture? Your house is beautiful but 18 is an eye catcher! Super cute! Thank you for sharing 
    Yeah I actually was using #18 for the longest time as my hero photo. I should probably go back to it, but I've been exploring a new collage
  • Member since 2023 Ā· 188 posts Ā· 111 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:
    Quote from @Joel Oh:
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:
    Quote from @Joel Oh:

    Can I see the final picture of the product?! This is so exciting


     You can find the Airbnb link and all the pictures here. 

    What a beautiful property! Have you tried using your photo 18 as your main picture? Your house is beautiful but 18 is an eye catcher! Super cute! Thank you for sharing 
    Yeah I actually was using #18 for the longest time as my hero photo. I should probably go back to it, but I've been exploring a new collage

     Amazing! Sounds like you are having a lot of fun! That is the best!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor Ā· Greer, SC Ā· Member since 2014 Ā· 13k+ posts Ā· 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:

    I recently finished documenting my build and design process for the Geodome I launched last year on AirBnb and wanted to share with the host community - I tried to build one of the most luxury Geodomes on the market, and it wasn't easy!

    I couldn't find any quality guides on how to put it all together before I started, so I decided to make this so the next person trying wouldn't also underestimate by 100% :)

    Building a geodome as an Airbnb rental can be a fantastic investment, boosting property value and attracting adventurous guests. Its also harder and more expensive than you probably would guess, unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. The total cost for my 27' luxury geodome was around $88,800 (excluding land) and consists of the following step and costs:

    1. Zoning considerations
    2. Geodome structure and accessories - $8,500
    3. Site preparation - $3,000
    4. Backfilling - $600
    5. Foundation - $3,000
    6. Decking material - $12,000
    7. Decking labor - $8,000
    8. Geodome construction labor - $4,200
    9. Flooring - $5,000
    10. Electrical wiring and labor - $5,000
    11. Interior wood divider - $2,500
    12. Hot tub - $13,000
    13. Furnishings - $10,000
    14. Miscellaneous costs and outdoor shower - $4,000

    The total costs for a geodome will range from a bare min of $25k to a max of $100k, depending on size, amenities and other factors like labor and material costs.

    Financing options include all cash, incorporating into a new house construction loan, SBA loans, or private money. A well-constructed geodome can rent for $150-$200+/night. I build mine alongside a cabin, so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage. 

    I'd love to answer any questions or help in any way if anyone else is interested in building something similar!


     Like to see a picture of what this looks like.

  • Investor Ā· Plymouth, MN Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 157 posts Ā· 102 votes
    2y

    @Daniel Bourdeau. Thanks a bunch for sharing!! Really neat!!

  • Real Estate Agent Ā· Chicago, IL Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 48 posts Ā· 43 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:

    I recently finished documenting my build and design process for the Geodome I launched last year on AirBnb and wanted to share with the host community - I tried to build one of the most luxury Geodomes on the market, and it wasn't easy!

    I couldn't find any quality guides on how to put it all together before I started, so I decided to make this so the next person trying wouldn't also underestimate by 100% :)

    Building a geodome as an Airbnb rental can be a fantastic investment, boosting property value and attracting adventurous guests. Its also harder and more expensive than you probably would guess, unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. The total cost for my 27' luxury geodome was around $88,800 (excluding land) and consists of the following step and costs:

    1. Zoning considerations
    2. Geodome structure and accessories - $8,500
    3. Site preparation - $3,000
    4. Backfilling - $600
    5. Foundation - $3,000
    6. Decking material - $12,000
    7. Decking labor - $8,000
    8. Geodome construction labor - $4,200
    9. Flooring - $5,000
    10. Electrical wiring and labor - $5,000
    11. Interior wood divider - $2,500
    12. Hot tub - $13,000
    13. Furnishings - $10,000
    14. Miscellaneous costs and outdoor shower - $4,000

    The total costs for a geodome will range from a bare min of $25k to a max of $100k, depending on size, amenities and other factors like labor and material costs.

    Financing options include all cash, incorporating into a new house construction loan, SBA loans, or private money. A well-constructed geodome can rent for $150-$200+/night. I build mine alongside a cabin, so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage. 

    I'd love to answer any questions or help in any way if anyone else is interested in building something similar!


     Like to see a picture of what this looks like.

    There are a bunch of pics in the Airbnb listing that I linked!
  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant Ā· OH Ā· Member since 2023 Ā· 2k+ posts Ā· 1k+ votes
    2y

    Exactly what the current STR guest wants....an experience! Congrats on the success!

  • Leander TX Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 179 posts Ā· 150 votes
    2y

    Thanks for sharing!

    Just curious, do you ever get single couples (or smaller groups) that just want to stay at the dome?  Was wondering about your thought process of adding the geodome alongside an already very nice cabin.

  • Real Estate Agent Ā· Chicago, IL Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 48 posts Ā· 43 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matt Mertz:

    Thanks for sharing!

    Just curious, do you ever get single couples (or smaller groups) that just want to stay at the dome?  Was wondering about your thought process of adding the geodome alongside an already very nice cabin.

    Definitely. I get tons of inquiries from couples that just want the dome. During the low season and especially mid week, I lower the price that I get lots of 2 person groups. 

    The main reason why it's not just a geodome, is permitting. I built this in a residential sub-development, and a permanent structure is required in order to put up a temporary structure. Most non-commercial, residential plots will have a similar zoning restriction. So funny enough, I set out to build a geodome and ended up having to build a house AND a geodome
  • Investor Ā· KY Ā· Member since 2022 Ā· 204 posts Ā· 77 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:

    I recently finished documenting my build and design process for the Geodome I launched last year on AirBnb and wanted to share with the host community - I tried to build one of the most luxury Geodomes on the market, and it wasn't easy!

    I couldn't find any quality guides on how to put it all together before I started, so I decided to make this so the next person trying wouldn't also underestimate by 100% :)

    Building a geodome as an Airbnb rental can be a fantastic investment, boosting property value and attracting adventurous guests. Its also harder and more expensive than you probably would guess, unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. The total cost for my 27' luxury geodome was around $88,800 (excluding land) and consists of the following step and costs:

    1. Zoning considerations
    2. Geodome structure and accessories - $8,500
    3. Site preparation - $3,000
    4. Backfilling - $600
    5. Foundation - $3,000
    6. Decking material - $12,000
    7. Decking labor - $8,000
    8. Geodome construction labor - $4,200
    9. Flooring - $5,000
    10. Electrical wiring and labor - $5,000
    11. Interior wood divider - $2,500
    12. Hot tub - $13,000
    13. Furnishings - $10,000
    14. Miscellaneous costs and outdoor shower - $4,000

    The total costs for a geodome will range from a bare min of $25k to a max of $100k, depending on size, amenities and other factors like labor and material costs.

    Financing options include all cash, incorporating into a new house construction loan, SBA loans, or private money. A well-constructed geodome can rent for $150-$200+/night. I build mine alongside a cabin, so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage. 

    I'd love to answer any questions or help in any way if anyone else is interested in building something similar!


     When you said, "so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage", what do you mean that you "wrapped" it in? Do you mean you paid for it with a cash refi once you converted from a construction loan to a 30 year?

  • Real Estate Agent Ā· Chicago, IL Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 48 posts Ā· 43 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zachary Cain Humphrey:
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:

    I recently finished documenting my build and design process for the Geodome I launched last year on AirBnb and wanted to share with the host community - I tried to build one of the most luxury Geodomes on the market, and it wasn't easy!

    I couldn't find any quality guides on how to put it all together before I started, so I decided to make this so the next person trying wouldn't also underestimate by 100% :)

    Building a geodome as an Airbnb rental can be a fantastic investment, boosting property value and attracting adventurous guests. Its also harder and more expensive than you probably would guess, unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. The total cost for my 27' luxury geodome was around $88,800 (excluding land) and consists of the following step and costs:

    1. Zoning considerations
    2. Geodome structure and accessories - $8,500
    3. Site preparation - $3,000
    4. Backfilling - $600
    5. Foundation - $3,000
    6. Decking material - $12,000
    7. Decking labor - $8,000
    8. Geodome construction labor - $4,200
    9. Flooring - $5,000
    10. Electrical wiring and labor - $5,000
    11. Interior wood divider - $2,500
    12. Hot tub - $13,000
    13. Furnishings - $10,000
    14. Miscellaneous costs and outdoor shower - $4,000

    The total costs for a geodome will range from a bare min of $25k to a max of $100k, depending on size, amenities and other factors like labor and material costs.

    Financing options include all cash, incorporating into a new house construction loan, SBA loans, or private money. A well-constructed geodome can rent for $150-$200+/night. I build mine alongside a cabin, so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage. 

    I'd love to answer any questions or help in any way if anyone else is interested in building something similar!


     When you said, "so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage", what do you mean that you "wrapped" it in? Do you mean you paid for it with a cash refi once you converted from a construction loan to a 30 year?

    My built cost on the whole project was $450k, and $50k of that construction budget for the house was earmarked for the Geodome. So i financed the geodome by building a house and calling the geodome a 'art studio'

  • Investor Ā· KY Ā· Member since 2022 Ā· 204 posts Ā· 77 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:
    Quote from @Zachary Cain Humphrey:
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:

    I recently finished documenting my build and design process for the Geodome I launched last year on AirBnb and wanted to share with the host community - I tried to build one of the most luxury Geodomes on the market, and it wasn't easy!

    I couldn't find any quality guides on how to put it all together before I started, so I decided to make this so the next person trying wouldn't also underestimate by 100% :)

    Building a geodome as an Airbnb rental can be a fantastic investment, boosting property value and attracting adventurous guests. Its also harder and more expensive than you probably would guess, unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. The total cost for my 27' luxury geodome was around $88,800 (excluding land) and consists of the following step and costs:

    1. Zoning considerations
    2. Geodome structure and accessories - $8,500
    3. Site preparation - $3,000
    4. Backfilling - $600
    5. Foundation - $3,000
    6. Decking material - $12,000
    7. Decking labor - $8,000
    8. Geodome construction labor - $4,200
    9. Flooring - $5,000
    10. Electrical wiring and labor - $5,000
    11. Interior wood divider - $2,500
    12. Hot tub - $13,000
    13. Furnishings - $10,000
    14. Miscellaneous costs and outdoor shower - $4,000

    The total costs for a geodome will range from a bare min of $25k to a max of $100k, depending on size, amenities and other factors like labor and material costs.

    Financing options include all cash, incorporating into a new house construction loan, SBA loans, or private money. A well-constructed geodome can rent for $150-$200+/night. I build mine alongside a cabin, so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage. 

    I'd love to answer any questions or help in any way if anyone else is interested in building something similar!


     When you said, "so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage", what do you mean that you "wrapped" it in? Do you mean you paid for it with a cash refi once you converted from a construction loan to a 30 year?

    My built cost on the whole project was $450k, and $50k of that construction budget for the house was earmarked for the Geodome. So i financed the geodome by building a house and calling the geodome a 'art studio'


     Awesome! love how you worked that in

  • Investor Ā· KY Ā· Member since 2022 Ā· 204 posts Ā· 77 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:
    Quote from @Zachary Cain Humphrey:
    Quote from @Daniel Bourdeau:

    I recently finished documenting my build and design process for the Geodome I launched last year on AirBnb and wanted to share with the host community - I tried to build one of the most luxury Geodomes on the market, and it wasn't easy!

    I couldn't find any quality guides on how to put it all together before I started, so I decided to make this so the next person trying wouldn't also underestimate by 100% :)

    Building a geodome as an Airbnb rental can be a fantastic investment, boosting property value and attracting adventurous guests. Its also harder and more expensive than you probably would guess, unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. The total cost for my 27' luxury geodome was around $88,800 (excluding land) and consists of the following step and costs:

    1. Zoning considerations
    2. Geodome structure and accessories - $8,500
    3. Site preparation - $3,000
    4. Backfilling - $600
    5. Foundation - $3,000
    6. Decking material - $12,000
    7. Decking labor - $8,000
    8. Geodome construction labor - $4,200
    9. Flooring - $5,000
    10. Electrical wiring and labor - $5,000
    11. Interior wood divider - $2,500
    12. Hot tub - $13,000
    13. Furnishings - $10,000
    14. Miscellaneous costs and outdoor shower - $4,000

    The total costs for a geodome will range from a bare min of $25k to a max of $100k, depending on size, amenities and other factors like labor and material costs.

    Financing options include all cash, incorporating into a new house construction loan, SBA loans, or private money. A well-constructed geodome can rent for $150-$200+/night. I build mine alongside a cabin, so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage. 

    I'd love to answer any questions or help in any way if anyone else is interested in building something similar!


     When you said, "so I was able to wrap the cost into the construction loan which converted into a 30 year mortgage", what do you mean that you "wrapped" it in? Do you mean you paid for it with a cash refi once you converted from a construction loan to a 30 year?

    My built cost on the whole project was $450k, and $50k of that construction budget for the house was earmarked for the Geodome. So i financed the geodome by building a house and calling the geodome a 'art studio'


     Awesome idea!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.