Why do I suddenly have no bookings on AirBnB?

Why do I suddenly have no bookings on AirBnB?

Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote

Hello,

I posted my property on AirBnB late December in Sedona, AZ. I got so many back to back bookings in the first couple of weeks, but the bookings suddenly dropped to zero. I have had no bookings since mid January. What is interesting is that my property is booked almost entire February and March which are off-season in Sedona but quite open in April and May which are peak-season.  I know that AirBnB posts new properties on the first page of search results for a while and then take it away but I did not expect no bookings in 30+ days. I called the customer service and they suggested me to activate instant booking. I did so a week ago but no change. I have also flexible cancellation policy. My house also has the "Guest Favorite" badge.

I did a general search as a guest and saw that my property showed up on the fourth page of results which I am not sure if it's too bad or not.

I also joined VRBO last week but no bookings yet.

Should I be worried? Is there anything else I need to do to boost my bookings?

Any suggestion is appreciated

0Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes
2y

Hey Mike - a friend of mine as a few listings in Sedona and is a marketing coach for STR hosts. Happy to gather a few pointers for you if you want to share a bit more about your listing. Remember, there's always a new listing boost, which eventually goes away. There are also a bunch of free tips and tricks for optimizing your listing that can help with search rankings. Below are a few of my favorites:

  • High-quality photos (professional photographer)
  • Updated Bio and room detail. Make this long!
  • Keep a low "bounce rate" - do not have your friends check out your listing without booking. Do not post your listing on Facebook where it will get clicks that don't book. This gives you a high bounce rate and Airbnb will change this frequently. Search online for the latest algorithm changes.
  • Change last and 2nd to last photos
  • Add any amenities you can. This gives you a nice boost in search performance!
  • Any table with outlet nearby can be called a work space. Describe it in detail.
  • Use more than 12 photos
  • Define your company brand, voice and ideal client. What makes you better? How do you express that?  Have a specific avatar and target them with your marketing strategy
  • What is your average rating and what % of people leave a review?  Almost all 5 stars?
  • Describe each room with LONG descriptions with tons of details like mattress type, kitchen gadgets, bedding quality, etc...
  • Turn on smart pricing, get on multiple OTAs with a channel manager
  • How long is your description? Update it all the time. Updated listings are prioritized.
  • Get your own booking website so you can add Google Analytics and track your traffic
  • Are you doing paid advertising on social media? Do you know how facebook and google interact? Has someone mentored you on a comprehensive marketing playbook for your STR?
  • Set up Google My Business - also name your business on Google Maps "XYZ's House!" This gets some attention
See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    Hi @Mike S.!

    What you've described is actually quite normal when first launching a STR. AIrbnb's algorithm gives new listings an initial boost when you first list, so new bookings start coming in. From there it's vital that you're getting clicks (need good property title, good pictures) and that clicks turn into bookings (again good professional bookings, good amenities, something other properties don't have), and lastly, 5-star reviews from those first bookings. All those help you stay strong once you come off the initial boost. At this point, I'd recommend studying your competition (what are they offering that you're not?), consider restaging/new photo shoot, and dropping price for a while to bring in more bookings and get more 5-star reviews, which I'll say again are critical.

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Short term rental market is getting oversaturated.  Arizona has been hit the most.
    Let's say that 5 years ago there were 100 travelers and 90 STRs.  Everyone is getting bookings.
    Now let's say, Travelers have increased to 110, but now there's 200 STR's.
    Travel, in general, is up.  But in some geographic markets, STR's are WAY UP.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    So @Mike S., the first year is always going to be a bit lean. Hit and miss. It takes time to build up the reputation, even in a popular area like Sedona.

    Sedona does have a ton of STRs but it sees in the neighborhood of 5m visitors a year so I wouldn't worry too much.

    Getting on VRBO is a must IMHO. Why give up a huge revenue avenue so that was a good move.

    Post your AirBNB listing so we can see it. Maybe there are a few things we can see that you could improve. Oftentimes it's the little things that make a difference.

  • CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
    2y

    Hey Mike, Can you share your listing? I won't able to provide accurate advice without seeing it first.  

  • James CarlsonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Mike S.

    Post your listings so we can rip it to shreds offer constructive advice. ;)

    Like some others are hinting at, make sure your Airbnb listing is buttoned up. Short-term rentals here in Colorado and everywhere have gone professional in the last few years. Back when I started, I saw STR investors succeed by buying any home, furnishing it with hand-me-downs and posting photos shot with a cell phone. Now, you've got to buy right, furnish it with some style, and hire the right real-estate photographer. Adding the right amenities like a hot tub or sauna here in Colorado make a big difference as well.

    People are still going to visit Sedona. The vacation rental market hasn't suddenly dried up. I'm sure you're going to be fine. But it's tougher for STRs now, so anyone wanting their piece of the pie needs to bring their A game. 

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @James Carlson:

    @Mike S.

    Post your listings so we can rip it to shreds offer constructive advice. ;)

    Like some others are hinting at, make sure your Airbnb listing is buttoned up. Short-term rentals here in Colorado and everywhere have gone professional in the last few years. Back when I started, I saw STR investors succeed by buying any home, furnishing it with hand-me-downs and posting photos shot with a cell phone. Now, you've got to buy right, furnish it with some style, and hire the right real-estate photographer. Adding the right amenities like a hot tub or sauna here in Colorado make a big difference as well.

    People are still going to visit Sedona. The vacation rental market hasn't suddenly dried up. I'm sure you're going to be fine. But it's tougher for STRs now, so anyone wanting their piece of the pie needs to bring their A game. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    The house itself looks like a very nice acquisition and in great shape, so you did good there. However if I were to see the listing on it's own with no background photos I wouldn't expect it to be a home in Sedona or even the desert southwest for that matter. Too much white space as well. 

    I would add more decor that adds color and fits the theme of the area. You could also do a lot more with the backyard area. 

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mike S.:
    Quote from @James Carlson:

    @Mike S.

    Post your listings so we can rip it to shreds offer constructive advice. ;)

    Like some others are hinting at, make sure your Airbnb listing is buttoned up. Short-term rentals here in Colorado and everywhere have gone professional in the last few years. Back when I started, I saw STR investors succeed by buying any home, furnishing it with hand-me-downs and posting photos shot with a cell phone. Now, you've got to buy right, furnish it with some style, and hire the right real-estate photographer. Adding the right amenities like a hot tub or sauna here in Colorado make a big difference as well.

    People are still going to visit Sedona. The vacation rental market hasn't suddenly dried up. I'm sure you're going to be fine. But it's tougher for STRs now, so anyone wanting their piece of the pie needs to bring their A game. 


    so a few things. 4 of your 5 hero pictures are of your kitchen, you might want to mix it up there. you have some patio furniture, but that's it for your backyard. put in something for people to envision with that backyard? be different, maybe a Bocci ball court, maybe a firepit. your description says "in the heart of everything" but you have no map picture to show exactly how much in the middle it is or what might be near it. I also don't see a dining table. you say it can have 8 guests, where do they sit to eat? also, spend the money on professional pictures. it shouldn't cost too much and you don't get a chance to make a 2nd impression.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2017 · 751 posts · 504 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Trent Reeve:
    Quote from @Mike S.:
    Quote from @James Carlson:

    @Mike S.

    Post your listings so we can rip it to shreds offer constructive advice. ;)

    Like some others are hinting at, make sure your Airbnb listing is buttoned up. Short-term rentals here in Colorado and everywhere have gone professional in the last few years. Back when I started, I saw STR investors succeed by buying any home, furnishing it with hand-me-downs and posting photos shot with a cell phone. Now, you've got to buy right, furnish it with some style, and hire the right real-estate photographer. Adding the right amenities like a hot tub or sauna here in Colorado make a big difference as well.

    People are still going to visit Sedona. The vacation rental market hasn't suddenly dried up. I'm sure you're going to be fine. But it's tougher for STRs now, so anyone wanting their piece of the pie needs to bring their A game. 



    so a few things. 4 of your 5 hero pictures are of your kitchen, you might want to mix it up there. you have some patio furniture, but that's it for your backyard. put in something for people to envision with that backyard? be different, maybe a Bocci ball court, maybe a firepit. your description says "in the heart of everything" but you have no map picture to show exactly how much in the middle it is or what might be near it. I also don't see a dining table. you say it can have 8 guests, where do they sit to eat? also, spend the money on professional pictures. it shouldn't cost too much and you don't get a chance to make a 2nd impression.

    Hi Mike.
    Sorry to hear about that. You should see March full, at least on the weekends.
    I'm hesitant to offer much of my "secret sauce" that would significantly elevate your game, as it would create competition for my clients, which have to come first. However, I can definitely share that if you add outdoor games, spruce up your backyard as a social hangout space, add a hot tub and beautify the front of the home, and then get additional, really strong photos, it would help a lot. There are other economical improvements that can be made, as well, that would significantly boost your occupancy, and possibly your ADR.

  • Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes
    2y

    Hey Mike - a friend of mine as a few listings in Sedona and is a marketing coach for STR hosts. Happy to gather a few pointers for you if you want to share a bit more about your listing. Remember, there's always a new listing boost, which eventually goes away. There are also a bunch of free tips and tricks for optimizing your listing that can help with search rankings. Below are a few of my favorites:

    • High-quality photos (professional photographer)
    • Updated Bio and room detail. Make this long!
    • Keep a low "bounce rate" - do not have your friends check out your listing without booking. Do not post your listing on Facebook where it will get clicks that don't book. This gives you a high bounce rate and Airbnb will change this frequently. Search online for the latest algorithm changes.
    • Change last and 2nd to last photos
    • Add any amenities you can. This gives you a nice boost in search performance!
    • Any table with outlet nearby can be called a work space. Describe it in detail.
    • Use more than 12 photos
    • Define your company brand, voice and ideal client. What makes you better? How do you express that?  Have a specific avatar and target them with your marketing strategy
    • What is your average rating and what % of people leave a review?  Almost all 5 stars?
    • Describe each room with LONG descriptions with tons of details like mattress type, kitchen gadgets, bedding quality, etc...
    • Turn on smart pricing, get on multiple OTAs with a channel manager
    • How long is your description? Update it all the time. Updated listings are prioritized.
    • Get your own booking website so you can add Google Analytics and track your traffic
    • Are you doing paid advertising on social media? Do you know how facebook and google interact? Has someone mentored you on a comprehensive marketing playbook for your STR?
    • Set up Google My Business - also name your business on Google Maps "XYZ's House!" This gets some attention
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Are you using a local property management company? I was going to suggest looking into increasing direct bookings. But if you're using a property management company it would be tough to integrate softwares. 

  • Investor · Kingston NY · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    I agree with others said and I will add one thing that I have not seen mentioned yet. I’m a host and a renter on air BnB when I travel. When I go to book I read the reviews throughly, your response to one of the guests should have been a private response not public IMO. If replying at all keep it positive and thank them for the feedback like you initially started to do. I have searched for other places based on owners responses to guests. 

  • Realtor · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2020 · 69 posts · 42 votes
    2y

    Hi Mike,

    I wouldn't worry too much. It seems you have your seasons a little bit off: February is a slow month for Sedona and March is when things start to pick up. So you're on track! Guests rarely book months in advance here as they travel through Sedona for a few days while on a road trip. So April and May will start booking in the coming weeks, and especially since all these new reviews you got start coming in.

    You've already gotten a lot of good advice from fellow investors here and I'm sure you'll do even better once you take all of them into account.

    Good luck on your journey! Sedona is an amazing STR market :)

  • Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Theresa Holl:

    Hey Mike - a friend of mine as a few listings in Sedona and is a marketing coach for STR hosts. Happy to gather a few pointers for you if you want to share a bit more about your listing. Remember, there's always a new listing boost, which eventually goes away. There are also a bunch of free tips and tricks for optimizing your listing that can help with search rankings. Below are a few of my favorites:

    • High-quality photos (professional photographer)
    • Updated Bio and room detail. Make this long!
    • Keep a low "bounce rate" - do not have your friends check out your listing without booking. Do not post your listing on Facebook where it will get clicks that don't book. This gives you a high bounce rate and Airbnb will change this frequently. Search online for the latest algorithm changes.
    • Change last and 2nd to last photos
    • Add any amenities you can. This gives you a nice boost in search performance!
    • Any table with outlet nearby can be called a work space. Describe it in detail.
    • Use more than 12 photos
    • Define your company brand, voice and ideal client. What makes you better? How do you express that?  Have a specific avatar and target them with your marketing strategy
    • What is your average rating and what % of people leave a review?  Almost all 5 stars?
    • Describe each room with LONG descriptions with tons of details like mattress type, kitchen gadgets, bedding quality, etc...
    • Turn on smart pricing, get on multiple OTAs with a channel manager
    • How long is your description? Update it all the time. Updated listings are prioritized.
    • Get your own booking website so you can add Google Analytics and track your traffic
    • Are you doing paid advertising on social media? Do you know how facebook and google interact? Has someone mentored you on a comprehensive marketing playbook for your STR?
    • Set up Google My Business - also name your business on Google Maps "XYZ's House!" This gets some attention
    Already have to edit my post.  Airbnb has updated the algorithm and wants a high view count and lots of "saves" on your listing. So don't worry about bounce rates anymore (those who look but don't book" - just get your sphere of influence to save your listings.  
  • Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 19 votes
    2y

    It looks like your property would be great for people travelling with dogs.  Why not open it up for this?  We rent property short term and allow dogs (up to 2, 50 pds or less, pet agreement and $100 pet fee).  Most of our guests are travelling with their dog or dogs so I know that it drives a lot of business to our home.  

    When we travel I'm always looking through the photos to see if the back yard is fenced.  This is real important for us and it's surprisingly hard to find.  In our listing we emphasize that we are pet friendly (dogs only) and that our back yard is fenced and private.  Then we have a couple of photos to back this up.

    Over 10 years of renting we have had very little damage or trouble due to dogs.  Kids...that's another story!  They are the ones that cause damage.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.