Hot take: Personal booking websites for your STR are Mandatory

Hot take: Personal booking websites for your STR are Mandatory

Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes

There's a popular post circling about why direct booking sites for STR/MTR are overrated. Although the author makes some good points it skips over many of the benefits and how the risks can be mitigated.

Owning Your Business Vs Operating within another business

In 2019 Airbnb had a hiccup in their algorithm where some listings simply did not show up on searches for several months. The issue was eventually fixed but many landlords lost thousands of dollars.

Airbnb and VRBO change their algorithm all the time

If you are relying entirely on 3rd party platforms, you don't have a business. You are operating within another business. It's like driving on Uber claiming you own a taxi business. No, you drive for Uber.

OTA Customer Service

We've all dealt with the poorly trained 3rd world customer service of these OTAs. The issue is, they hold all the cards.

They have the guest's payment information and process refunds erroneously all the time.

I had a guest complain of a smoke smell the day AFTER they checked out and claimed they never stayed in the apartment because of it. Airbnb refunded them the ENTIRE stay of nearly $2,000. We sued Airbnb in small claims court and won but you have little to no real power when dealing with the OTAs.

Saving on Fees:

Airbnb charges guests 14% and hosts 3%. So you can charge 15% more on your direct booking site and guests would still pay less booking through your direct booking site.

Getting on Google Travel:

Although Google Travel is one of the lesser-known OTAs it's not actually an OTA. They direct guests to your direct booking site where they make the reservation. 

Google Travel recently fired the head of the department for not being aggressive enough and is expected to grow its market share over the next few years due to its unlimited funding and access to the world's largest search engine

Google Travel is also not the only platform that syndicates listings from direct booking sites.

Extending Reservations off other platforms

If you've had STR/MTR for any length of time you know it's common for guests to ask to extend off the platform. Although most hosts don't allow it, they're leaving lots of money on the table.

Tread cautiously as this does violate many platform's terms of service.

Additional steps are required to protect yourself, which I'll review in the Drawbacks Section of this post

Google SEO

Depending on your niche and location, you can rank on Google Search for "rentals in your city". This does take quite a bit more work to SEO optimize your site but in many markets, you can rank above the OTAs. For example if you Google "Cabins in Big Bear" a direct booking site ranks #1. There are many thousands of searches a month for that key term.

Different Cities will have different competition levels for ranking.

Diversification:

Diversification applies beyond direct booking sites but you should have your listings everywhere.

- VRBO

- Booking.com

- Airbnb

- Google Travel (through Direct Booking Site)

- Furnish Finder (Direct Booking Site)

Speaking of Furnish Finder. For my Mid Term Rental Hosts out there. We know Furnish Finder has no booking feature. Guests are expected to book with you directly. Not having a place for them to finalize their reservation can look unprofessional. A direct booking site allows guests to make the reservation with less work on your part, extend the reservation as they see fit, and even charge a deposit or upsell.

41% of our bookings last year were from direct booking sites.

Drawback to Direct Booking Sites

- It's Work: You save time in the long run but it is work upfront. There are platforms out there to make it easier for you like Hostaway, Guests, or Lodgify.

- You need supplemental insurance to protect yourself. You are not covered by the OTAs insurance. So there is an additional cost but it's typically much less than the fees charged by the OTA platform. We've also mitigated losses with a security deposit.

- No Reviews: As hosts we can filter out potential harmful guests using reviews. Our team has mitigated that risk by collecting a security deposit and asking good questions.

- Marketing for Gurus as mentioned in the other post, many gurus use this as an opportunity to try to sell expensive courses. Although some have value you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to learn to set up a direct booking site.

- Rental Agreements - You'll need guests to sign rental agreements and upload a photo of their ID. This may sound like a lot of work but again, use software to automate

Final Thoughts

The STR/MTR space is getting crowded. Depending on your market, you may have already seen a decline in occupancy. If not, it's coming. Thanks to the aggressive rise of Airbnb, many of us hosts have experienced a period of abundance. The reality is, it's not going to last.

Only those hosts treating this as a business and offering the best product are going to keep both rates and occupancy high.

10Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y

I tend to agree more with this than the other post.  For reference, I am a PM company owner with around 70 listings.  As I stated on the other post, we have poured some cash into our site, SEO, marketing campaigns etc to garner more direct bookings.  What truly fueled this was our desire to avoid Airbnb's often arbitrary guest refunds.  I also whole heartedly agree if you rely on Airbnb for your business than you really do not have a business.  

I think it is non-negotiable for a Property Manager to have an optimized guest booking site. I think if you are an investor with 1 listing or if you are renting an ADU etc I am not sure how worth it is.

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I tend to agree more with this than the other post.  For reference, I am a PM company owner with around 70 listings.  As I stated on the other post, we have poured some cash into our site, SEO, marketing campaigns etc to garner more direct bookings.  What truly fueled this was our desire to avoid Airbnb's often arbitrary guest refunds.  I also whole heartedly agree if you rely on Airbnb for your business than you really do not have a business.  

    I think it is non-negotiable for a Property Manager to have an optimized guest booking site. I think if you are an investor with 1 listing or if you are renting an ADU etc I am not sure how worth it is.

  • Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes
    2y

    Matthew - really well-thought out post.  I love mentioning that you can do video, GA4 Google Analytics tags and so many other things on your own site.  Also set up backlinks for affiliate partnership opportunities.  Run it like a real business.  :)

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    I agree some what with both posts pro and con and your points are well taken.

    Thanks for the post.

  • Realtor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2023 · 111 posts · 87 votes
    2y

    Hi Matthew, Thank you for posting.

    Platforms like Airbnb are great for getting started and guest acquisition but the ULTIMATE goal for any business owner should be to own the customer.  Hosts have lost sight of how to run a business and are just an ancillary arm of Airbnb. Repeat guests should be a major focus and for that you need emails and phone numbers when they are willing to provide.

    The goal should be to eventually wean off these sites.  Who knows they could get hacked any day.

    I get that the Airbnb insurance policy is solid, but people need to run their business and not trust a third party like Airbnb to make decisions and run it for them.  As you mentioned, anything can happen with the algorithm. I agree with diversifying too.  Majorly important. Serious hosts that want to be in business for the long haul should be cultivating direct relationships where possible with a goal to OWN their business and not just be a listing on a booking site.

    My 2 cents.

    Mindy

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    Good post @Matthew Masoud.

    I have to push back a little on the SEO comments. SEO has gotten so complex that the average Joe really has no chance of ranking on something as common as "vacation rental" or the like.

    You are correct that each location will have different levels, but overall, the Google SEO rankings are much more that physical location.

    I would love it to be more like it used to be. There are multi million dollar companies that have arisen to build SEO.

    I still think it can be an added benefit to have your own booking site. IMHO, Wordpress is a great way to build your own. Tons of widgets and plug ins just for STRs. Some are free. A great number of themes just for STRs are available.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    "If you are relying entirely on 3rd party platforms, you don't have a business. You are operating within another business."  Well yes, our entire lives are contingent on "3rd party platforms" of one variety of another, from the time we wake up until we go to bed at night, and even through the night.

    City streets, stop lights, and the power company are third party platforms.  As are cellular towers, fiber, the internet, the local gas station, vape shop, computer monitors, keyboards, search engines, and just about everything else you can imagine.  But I'm not going to start a garden in my back yard in case the grocery doesn't get their deliveries one day, nor bury a drum of gasoline "just in case."

    In 2005, 80 percent of my bookings came direct, 20 percent via VRBO. Today, it's the opposite. I couldn't care less - we are getting plenty of bookings. If VRBO goes airBNB and acts up, I'll just team up with other platforms.  

    I could spend $500,000 a year on in-house marketing, and still wouldn't get the same number of bookings I am spending $30K a year on through VRBO.  A waste of time and energy - I have zero interest in competing with the Amazon of vacation rental search sites.

    Now I will state this:  If Airbnb was my only option, I would probably just close shop and focus on my other ventures.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Good post @Matthew Masoud.

    I have to push back a little on the SEO comments. SEO has gotten so complex that the average Joe really has no chance of ranking on something as common as "vacation rental" or the like.

    You are correct that each location will have different levels, but overall, the Google SEO rankings are much more that physical location.

    I would love it to be more like it used to be. There are multi million dollar companies that have arisen to build SEO.

    I still think it can be an added benefit to have your own booking site. IMHO, Wordpress is a great way to build your own. Tons of widgets and plug ins just for STRs. Some are free. A great number of themes just for STRs are available.


     Yeah wordpress is great for SEO but adds a layer of complexity for building the site.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    I tend to agree more with this than the other post.  For reference, I am a PM company owner with around 70 listings.  As I stated on the other post, we have poured some cash into our site, SEO, marketing campaigns etc to garner more direct bookings.  What truly fueled this was our desire to avoid Airbnb's often arbitrary guest refunds.  I also whole heartedly agree if you rely on Airbnb for your business than you really do not have a business.  

    I think it is non-negotiable for a Property Manager to have an optimized guest booking site. I think if you are an investor with 1 listing or if you are renting an ADU etc I am not sure how worth it is.


     Yeah if you are doing this just to generate some extra income with 1-2 units, the work-to-reward ratio is just not there.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

     Yeah wordpress is great for SEO but adds a layer of complexity for building the site.

    Well, using Wordpress doesn't automatically help SEO. There are tools for working on SEO, but they pale in comparison to custom algorithms from dedicated SEO companies.

    I was more about how using Wordpress allows a regular person to build their STR booking site without a ton of technical knowledge. Yes there is a learning curve, but if you can evaluate a STR purchase, you can build a site with Wordpress.
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    @Mindy Nicol absolutely nailed it !

  • Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    If you want to slowly build a direct booking business you need to get the emails and phone numbers from all your guests. The OTAs aren’t going to give them to you so use a data collection system like Emailcollect that will do it for you. A QR Code the takes you to a contact form that’s the gateway to the free WiFi is all you need to get data of every guest staying.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    If you want to slowly build a direct booking business you need to get the emails and phone numbers from all your guests. The OTAs aren’t going to give them to you so use a data collection system like Emailcollect that will do it for you. A QR Code the takes you to a contact form that’s the gateway to the free WiFi is all you need to get data of every guest staying.


     Great idea. I’ve been saving phone number details from airbnb

  • Realtor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2023 · 111 posts · 87 votes
    2y

    Thanks @Bruce Woodruff! I get fired up about this topic!

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Great post! Thanks for taking the time to share these thoughts and get people thinking about how to truly run their STR like a business!

  • James CarlsonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:

    There's a popular post circling about why direct booking sites for STR/MTR are overrated. Although the author makes some good points it skips over many of the benefits and how the risks can be mitigated.

    I'm now the "author of a popular post." That's definitely going in my bio.

    Great post. Don't agree with a lot of it, but strong arguments.

  • James CarlsonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Matthew Masoud

    Love the post. (I like my original points better, of course, but this is a great discussion.) 

    So much of my response can be boiled down to: 

    1. Hating that Airbnb owns the STR market is not the same as having actual power to meaningfully break away from it.

    2. Is the time and effort worth the marginal savings (if any)?

    Owning Your Business Vs Operating within another business
    I agree, owning your own business would be awesome, but this falls in category No. 1 -- it sucks, but what can you do about it?

    OTA Customer Service
    Ditto the first point.

    Saving on Fees
    I'm interested in this. A direct booking site still has to process a credit card payment. Am I missing something? That costs 1-3%, so are we saving anything? 

    Getting on Google Travel
    Again, I'm interested. If this got legs, this could send meaningful numbers your way. (Awesome!) Then again, if it got big, then everyone's on it, and you're lost in the shuffle again, likely only to rise to the top by paying some ad dollar to Google. 

    Extending Reservations off other platforms
    Can't recommend AGAINST this enough. Sure fire way to get kicked off the biggest growing STR platform.

    Google SEO
    When I type in "Denver vacation rental," my hand cramps up from scrolling so far down in an effort to find a non-corporate site. It doesn't exist. 

    Like @Michael Baum said, SEO isn't a small-time game anymore. People get paid $90k a year to do this professionally to make sure the little guy doesn't get seen.

    Diversification
    Totally agree in diversification 

    Thanks again for continuing the discussion. Cheers!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Carlson:

    @Matthew Masoud

    Love the post. (I like my original points better, of course, but this is a great discussion.) 

    So much of my response can be boiled down to: 

    1. Hating that Airbnb owns the STR market is not the same as having actual power to meaningfully break away from it.

    2. Is the time and effort worth the marginal savings (if any)?

    Owning Your Business Vs Operating within another business
    I agree, owning your own business would be awesome, but this falls in category No. 1 -- it sucks, but what can you do about it?

    OTA Customer Service
    Ditto the first point.

    Saving on Fees
    I'm interested in this. A direct booking site still has to process a credit card payment. Am I missing something? That costs 1-3%, so are we saving anything? 

    Getting on Google Travel
    Again, I'm interested. If this got legs, this could send meaningful numbers your way. (Awesome!) Then again, if it got big, then everyone's on it, and you're lost in the shuffle again, likely only to rise to the top by paying some ad dollar to Google. 

    Extending Reservations off other platforms
    Can't recommend AGAINST this enough. Sure fire way to get kicked off the biggest growing STR platform.

    Google SEO
    When I type in "Denver vacation rental," my hand cramps up from scrolling so far down in an effort to find a non-corporate site. It doesn't exist. 

    Like @Michael Baum said, SEO isn't a small-time game anymore. People get paid $90k a year to do this professionally to make sure the little guy doesn't get seen.

    Diversification
    Totally agree in diversification 

    Thanks again for continuing the discussion. Cheers!


    I think for the vast majority of STR owners your advice holds, that it's not worth the time. Once you get passed 3 rentals and want to keep scaling and really build a business out of it, it's time to get that site up!

    Cheers!

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    If you want to slowly build a direct booking business you need to get the emails and phone numbers from all your guests. The OTAs aren’t going to give them to you so use a data collection system like Emailcollect that will do it for you. A QR Code the takes you to a contact form that’s the gateway to the free WiFi is all you need to get data of every guest staying.


     This is the key to recurring business. 

  • Member since 2022 · 272 posts · 253 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Masoud:
    Quote from @James Carlson:

    @Matthew Masoud

    Love the post. (I like my original points better, of course, but this is a great discussion.) 

    So much of my response can be boiled down to: 

    1. Hating that Airbnb owns the STR market is not the same as having actual power to meaningfully break away from it.

    2. Is the time and effort worth the marginal savings (if any)?

    Owning Your Business Vs Operating within another business
    I agree, owning your own business would be awesome, but this falls in category No. 1 -- it sucks, but what can you do about it?

    OTA Customer Service
    Ditto the first point.

    Saving on Fees
    I'm interested in this. A direct booking site still has to process a credit card payment. Am I missing something? That costs 1-3%, so are we saving anything? 

    Getting on Google Travel
    Again, I'm interested. If this got legs, this could send meaningful numbers your way. (Awesome!) Then again, if it got big, then everyone's on it, and you're lost in the shuffle again, likely only to rise to the top by paying some ad dollar to Google. 

    Extending Reservations off other platforms
    Can't recommend AGAINST this enough. Sure fire way to get kicked off the biggest growing STR platform.

    Google SEO
    When I type in "Denver vacation rental," my hand cramps up from scrolling so far down in an effort to find a non-corporate site. It doesn't exist. 

    Like @Michael Baum said, SEO isn't a small-time game anymore. People get paid $90k a year to do this professionally to make sure the little guy doesn't get seen.

    Diversification
    Totally agree in diversification 

    Thanks again for continuing the discussion. Cheers!


    I think for the vast majority of STR owners your advice holds, that it's not worth the time. Once you get passed 3 rentals and want to keep scaling and really build a business out of it, it's time to get that site up!

    Cheers!

    I agree with aspects of both posts.  I think for the average 1 rental owner, it's simply too much fuss, and the opportunity cost of that time and energy is either relaxing, or doing other things to maximize bookings like interior design.

    I think the industry in general suffers from bombarding new hosts with 10,000 things to do in month 1 (OTA, direct booking sites, linking calendars, specific smart locks, etc.) when in reality most owners should probably list on the most relevant platform for their area in year 1, develop a rhythm and learn a few basics, and then start looking into improvements from there.

    Certainly with multiple properties it starts to become a more compelling argument. 



  • Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    how do you do the math on that though? Sure direct bookings are better in the sense that you dont have that crazy fee that Airbnb takes but at what cost does marketing your direct booking website as well as upkeep take? Also just the overall hassle of having calendars needing updating all day. 

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    2y

    @Luke Masaschi If direct booking makes sense because 3+ STRs, then my guess is you'd be using property management software that syncs all your calendars. You probably already know this but it's straightforward (and less than 5 minutes) to sync your current VRBO and Airbnb calendars such that you are free from manually updating.

  • Member since 2024 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @Christina B. Yes I use guesty I just meant on the sense of marketing and if its worth the time but Ive been wanting to open my own direct booking site. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.