VRBO Photo Debacle

VRBO Photo Debacle

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I got an email from Vrbo on Feb. 27th saying, "In the upcoming weeks, you may see the primary image on your listing and
the order of your image gallery change. That’s because we are gradually launching a new AI feature that will automatically place your highest-performing image to the forefront of your listing. Based on previous Expedia Group testing, this new feature helps drive higher conversion and click through rates on listings."

Well, it finally happened.  Today I saw someone on a FB group complaining that their cover beach photo was now a kitchen photo.  I opened a private window and checked my listing, and sure enough, the cover photo of my living room with an inset of the swimming pool was now a kitchen photo.  Many guests book my place because of the pool, and I want that to be pic #1.  And all of my other photos were out of order - first floor rooms were mixed in with second floor rooms, different views of the same bedroom were separated among the photos.  A complete disaster.  

So I opened a chat with Vrbo support.  The tech had no knowledge of the AI email that I'd received from Vrbo, he didn't know what I was talking about!  He sent me an email so I could screenshot their AI email and send it back to him.  We also emailed a few times back and forth with what I was seeing from my end, as his end showed nothing had changed with my listing.  Even though I could see the change on 2 different private browser windows and through my Vrbo app when signed in.  

After 45 minutes on this chat, the end result was his superiors confirmed the AI email was legit.  However the AI was supposed to be in the testing stage, not implemented yet.  He was never able to see my page as I saw it, with the new photo order.  He said the AI started to "learn" the beginning of March, and his IT specialists explained to him that it might be randomly changing photos while the AI finds the more engaging photo to post as the main one.

I asked him if I could opt out of this, and he escalated my case to see if that's possible.  He said an IT specialist will be in touch.  I sure hope we are not forced to accept this.   Besides the fact that I've only gotten one Vrbo booking for this summer, when most of my bookings used to be through Vrbo, has caused me to completely question this company's competence.  

6Reply
383 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
2y

This is exactly why I don't like/trust AI...We hosts should absolutely have the choice of which photo appears where. And I seriously doubt that the kitchens are the most clicked photo.....

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    Thanks for the info @Lauren Kormylo.

    I just checked my listing and it still has the lake shot I have been using from the beginning.

    Keep us posted on your escalation and where it leads. This is pretty important, at least I thought so when I posted originally about this new "feature."

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Thanks for the info @Lauren Kormylo.

    I just checked my listing and it still has the lake shot I have been using from the beginning.

    Keep us posted on your escalation and where it leads. This is pretty important, at least I thought so when I posted originally about this new "feature."

    Thanks Michael, I will update this if they get back to me.
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Thanks for the info @Lauren Kormylo.

    I just checked my listing and it still has the lake shot I have been using from the beginning.

    Keep us posted on your escalation and where it leads. This is pretty important, at least I thought so when I posted originally about this new "feature."

    Thanks Michael, I will update this if they get back to me.

    I have only looked at 2 of mine so far and both are no longer showing my lead picture of the indoor pool.  Both are showing the kitchen.  This is garbage.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    I have only looked at 2 of mine so far and both are no longer showing my lead picture of the indoor pool.  Both are showing the kitchen.  This is garbage.  

    I had no idea that AI has "learned" so many guests are attracted to our kitchens, did you?  No wonder everyone is concerned about the future with AI.  I looked at my neighbor's STR listing, and his pic has now been changed to his kitchen too.  Nice kitchens are great, but my guests are not choosing a rental in a beach market by the looks of the kitchen. You're right about this being garbage.
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    It's interesting that your kitchen has the most interest. 

    Last I checked my lead photo was just the same.

    It seems bookings have starting picking back up for us at both our properties. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    So they have all 4 of my properties all jacked up.  I thought I escaped one of them as my lead pool pic was still correct, but then instead of having my top 5 - 7 pictures first they had them scattered all over with 2 of my best pics at the very end.  My wife has an appt with her VRBO account manager tomorrow to hopefully find out more info.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    It's interesting that your kitchen has the most interest. 

    Last I checked my lead photo was just the same.

    It seems bookings have starting picking back up for us at both our properties. 


     Well check your others, because one of my properties kept the same lead pic, but jacked up everything else in my photo order.

  • Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 62 votes
    2y

    Thanks for pointing this out Lauren. My gallery is a mess! All my beautiful view photos are at the very end now. Is this going to turn into a gallery picture shuffle game now.

    *(When viewing gallery in dashboard, the listing will look unchanged, it's not until doing a private search that you'll see the new look of your listing)

    When that e-mail came Feb. 27th, a VRBO rep told me to keep making complaints from my dashboard using the 'Help-Feedback' links.

    If bookings start declining for many, we may see power in numbers- could be that some start to rally the troops to get attention of new VRBO COO, Bentley, who replaced Hurst. Perhaps some online petitions will start circulating too.

    What a colossal disappointment VRBO!

  • Leander TX · Member since 2020 · 179 posts · 150 votes
    2y

    My pictures were also affected.  However their choice actually seems ok.  I go back and forth on 2 different front exterior shots of the house and they picked the other one.  They also have a view of the mountain from the top deck which I also like but don't list in the top 5.  What's funny is that my VRBO account manager suggested putting a picture of the bunkroom in front but their new AI took it off.

    Oh, and I also have a kitchen picture in the top 5.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Monique P.:

    Thanks for pointing this out Lauren. My gallery is a mess! All my beautiful view photos are at the very end now. Is this going to turn into a gallery picture shuffle game now.

    *(When viewing gallery in dashboard, the listing will look unchanged, it's not until doing a private search that you'll see the new look of your listing)

    When that e-mail came Feb. 27th, a VRBO rep told me to keep making complaints from my dashboard using the 'Help-Feedback' links.

    If bookings start declining for many, we may see power in numbers- could be that some start to rally the troops to get attention of new VRBO COO, Bentley, who replaced Hurst. Perhaps some online petitions will start circulating too.

    What a colossal disappointment VRBO!

    I'm going to wait until I hear back from their IT dept, but then I will be complaining online.  Vrbo also has a FB page where we can comment or message them, I'll use that too.
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matt Mertz:

    My pictures were also affected.  However their choice actually seems ok.  I go back and forth on 2 different front exterior shots of the house and they picked the other one.  They also have a view of the mountain from the top deck which I also like but don't list in the top 5.  What's funny is that my VRBO account manager suggested putting a picture of the bunkroom in front but their new AI took it off.

    Oh, and I also have a kitchen picture in the top 5.

    I'm glad you're ok with their choice.  My main concern is the #1 photo because that's the only one guests see on the Vrbo list until they click on it. And that now my pics are all out of order.  I spent a lot of time putting them in logical order so guests could see 2 views of each bedroom, and get a feel for the layout without an actual floor plan.  Now that's all out the window with this random order of photos.
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I think there really should be a logical flow to the pictures right?  Obviously your top 5 or 7 in front to capture a guests attention, then pictures seem to  show the way the property flows not random, then usually floor layouts and misc stuff like that at the end for those folks that want to look at everything.

    3 of my 4 properties have kitchens for the lead view instead of a pool.  The one with the pool as the lead has everything else jacked up and out of order with the floor layouts thrown somewhere in the middle.

    I just got off a 30 min call with our VRBO account manager.  I explained to her the situation and she said I was the 3rd person that shared this with her.  I told her there will be hundreds more.  I explained that as my account manager her job is to help me be successful, and this AI change which is in "testing" as she said, is not helping at all.  People will scroll right past my new AI picked kitchen lead picture.  I asked to get opted out as well and told her this is complete garbage

    She said her eyes were opened now and she was going to take this feedback back up her chain and get back to me.  I also told her that we are seeing a shift to more AirBnb bookings in my market (Pigeon Forge area) and it used to mainly be VRBO.  She said she was aware of that and faults where expedia has been spending ad money.  I told her these kinds of changes were going to make me push my airbnb listings heavier which is something I don't really want to do.

    Again, another case why building a direct funnel is important.  We are always at the mercy of the OTAs.
    If you are still reading this I'll tell you one more change VRBO did silently that I found out after the fact.   I don't know when this happened, but at some point if you had a sleeper sofa, VRBO changed it to show up as "futon".  When you go back in to your listing to "fix" this, there is an option for "sleeper sofa".   The problem is "sleeper sofa" does not show up in your listing.  What shows up in your listing is "double sleeper sofa".  Doesn't matter that I have a queen sleeper sofa they have decided to show it as a double sleeper sofa.

    Anyway my VRBO account manager verified that as well and is looking in to it.

  • Leander TX · Member since 2020 · 179 posts · 150 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:
    I'm glad you're ok with their choice.  My main concern is the #1 photo because that's the only one guests see on the Vrbo list until they click on it. And that now my pics are all out of order.  I spent a lot of time putting them in logical order so guests could see 2 views of each bedroom, and get a feel for the layout without an actual floor plan.  Now that's all out the window with this random order of photos.
    Just to clarify, I don't like their change.  It's disruptive.  Perhaps sharing a report on click-thru rates of our listing pics to enable hosts to make their own decisions would have been a better use of their time.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    This is exactly why I don't like/trust AI...We hosts should absolutely have the choice of which photo appears where. And I seriously doubt that the kitchens are the most clicked photo.....

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 12 votes
    2y

    I just checked my VRBO listing and they did the same. The good news is they still capture that we're waterfront, have a pool and outdoor bar in the image, but it's not my ideal choice. I'm working with my PM to see if we can revert back to what we had.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    So I got a reply from Vrbo today: "After that escalation, our IT specialists told me that is not possible to opt out for the AI, at least for now."

    Time to complain through other channels.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I just looked at my listing and it's now back to how it was originally!  I don't know if the IT people did something or what.  

  • Member since 2023 · 88 posts · 62 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

    I just looked at my listing and it's now back to how it was originally!  I don't know if the IT people did something or what.  


    Unfortunately it's only temporary. My listing did the same thing yesterday and again today.  It toggles back and forth because VRBO is comparing. It's done this about 4 times in the last 24 hours.

    I've seen this happen with the 5 star/10 star rating, the blue marker/white marker etc. They test it out and the listings will jump back and forth until they settle on what they want.

    Hopefully Vrbo will realize pretty quickly that this is turning into an epic fail.


  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    I also had the same problem and was on an online “chat” for an hour yesterday.  She couldn’t tell me what was wrong, and told me it would be escalated to IT as well (who I have not heard from yet).  Actually a bigger problem for me is that my average nightly rate is showing at $620, which is my highest daily rate.  My “average” nightly rate should be somewhere around $380.  Has anyone else encountered this and know how to fix???

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I just read in a FB group that someone got an email from OwnerRez this morning saying Vrbo is backtracking and will NOT use AI to switch photos, they've gotten too many complaints.  Hopefully this is true.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    My VRBO account manager got back with us today and let us know that the A/B testing of AI choosing photos ended this morning.

  • Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    My VRBO account manager got back with us today and let us know that the A/B testing of AI choosing photos ended this morning.


     LOL. 

    vrbo.exe has stopped working. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.