Attorney · Louisville, KY · Member since 2023 · 30 posts · 8 votes
Hello,
Here’s the question: Are 2 sets of full by bull bunk beds too big for a single room?
Context: I am furnishing my first STR. I have a 2 bed one bath that I am preparing. I'll have a king size bed in one room and I was considering 2 sets of full over full bunk beds for the other room. This room is 13' 11" x 11' 5". But I am second guessing whether 2 bunks is too much for the room. The room is pictured below. What are your thoughts?
Greatly appreciate any of your thoughts and feed back.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
2y
Hey @Felix Sharpe. Well you are going to have to measure each wall. I see that there is one wall with the door plus the other with what appears to be a window with the oddball roof angle.
It is hard to say how it will look.
Here is a pic of our kids bunkroom with 2, twin/twin bunk beds.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
2y
Hey @Felix Sharpe. Well you are going to have to measure each wall. I see that there is one wall with the door plus the other with what appears to be a window with the oddball roof angle.
It is hard to say how it will look.
Here is a pic of our kids bunkroom with 2, twin/twin bunk beds.
Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
So you want to put the equivalent of (4) full size beds in that room? So that would sleep 8, and the master would sleep 2, so a total of 10 people using only 1 bathroom? That would be way too many people. Not to mention your cleaners would not be happy making up the full size beds on the top. I would have one queen bed and one twin (or twin bunk) in there. That way a second couple would be comfortable there too (2 adults don't want to sleep in a full). You don't want the bunk up against a window that is needed for egress in case of a fire.
Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
2y
If you want 4 people then a queen over queen bunkbed looks like it will work. If going this route custom build it and reinforce it. I have done it in a STR but as stated above the bathroom situation might hurt you in reviews especially in groups of primarily adults or adults and teenagers.
Attorney · Louisville, KY · Member since 2023 · 30 posts · 8 votes
2y
Quote from @Account Closed:
If you want 4 people then a queen over queen bunkbed looks like it will work. If going this route custom build it and reinforce it. I have done it in a STR but as stated above the bathroom situation might hurt you in reviews especially in groups of primarily adults or adults and teenagers.
Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
@Felix Sharpe, to elaborate on what Lauren noted, but hitting on a different aspect of that comment: I do not like the "beds and heads" mentality in Airbnb. From my good friend that manages more than 20 Airbnb's in PHX over the last 8 years:
She has seen a direct correlation to Beds/heads:bathroom to chances of place being "well worn" when they leave. Not only is 10, or even 6 people too many for a single bathroom, but the groups that will be seeking out that many beds AND be willing to book a one bath property are broke college kids looking to party (more times than not).
As such, if it were mine: king in one bedroom, queen (with maybe a twin, if there is room) in second. Maybe pull-out couch, should there be a family that wants their kids in separate beds. This arrangement can accommodate two couples, or a family of 4-5 that would be open to the single bathroom setup.