Surprise service animals and cleaning fees

Surprise service animals and cleaning fees

Realtor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2023 · 111 posts · 87 votes

Service animal question for the group.....I have a guest staying who I noticed has large 2 dogs. There were no pets disclosed in the booking and I was surprised to see them. I called Airbnb to see if they are service animals. It turns out they are and the guest requires them to remind her to take medical treatments. I understand they are not considered pets. Questions for the group:

Are we allowed to charge a cleaning fee or not? I do accept 1 dog with an extra cleaning fee but not two. Airbnb has told me if there is an issue when they leave I have to fill out their form to see if I can get reimbursed. Airbnb told me guests can have up to 3 service animals, they do not have to disclose them at booking, and they can be dogs or miniature horses.

  • Do you ask up front if they are bringing a service animal? If we can't then how can we provide extra things like dog bowls, water etc if we do not know?
  • Does anyone charge an extra service animal cleaning fee or is this a no no?  How do you recoup the cleaning costs?
  • Can we see the proof they are in fact service animals?
  • Is there any law in Florida that protects the rights of the property owner for rentals relating to animals on property?

I thought maybe someone in the group has come across this. I want to do the right thing but I also want to know in advance which animals are on property and to be able to recoup cleaning fees. Thanks in advance! Mindy

1Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
2y

If Airbnb has confirmed these are Service Animals I wouldn't make any waves and see if there are any issues after they check out. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    If Airbnb has confirmed these are Service Animals I wouldn't make any waves and see if there are any issues after they check out. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    So you can't charge a cleaning fee. That is in direct violation of the AirBNB rules. ADA is a bit different -
    If a business such as a hotel normally charges guests for damage that
    they cause, a customer with a disability may also be charged for damage
    caused by himself or his service animal.

    We have had 2 service animal guests. We didn't charge them any kind of cleaning for the dogs. We allow dogs already so we have bowls ready to go.

    Legally you can't ask for proof of certification -

    When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited
    inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a
    service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or
    task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the
    person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special
    identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that
    the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

    I can't speak to Florida law but Federal regs are in force.

    In the end, you just eat the extra cleaning, if any, but you can charge for damage caused by the guests or service animals.

    So in both cases of our service animal guests, they were excellent with zero issues.

    EDIT - The stupid forum prevents me from putting a link to the ADA rules -

    https://www.ada.gov/resources/service-animals-2010-requirements

  • Realtor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2023 · 111 posts · 87 votes
    2y

    OK thanks @Michael Baum.  This confirms what I have heard.  

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    OK so here is my take:

    1. ADA is actually a gray area IMO because are STR's really a "place of public accommodation"? A hotel or restaurant, mall, etc yes of course, but private home rentals? Not really sure.

    2. Regardless, we do not charge for service animals, so we basically follow ADA anyways.  We ask people if they are a service animal and not an ESA.  If it is an ESA we charge same as standard pet fee.

    3. If you are following ADA no you cannot charge for cleaning but yes you can charge for provable damages.

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    A miniature horse as a service pet!! When it comes to what Airbnb calls a service animal, that's a new one for me!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Mindy Nicol just to be clear you can charge for cleaning if you charge everyone else. You can't charge an extra cleaning fee unless of course there is damage to be cleaned.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    Service animals are extremely well trained and I doubt they will cause problems.  Most service animals are dogs.  Emotional support animals (ie pets with paperwork) can be anything and are not trained at all. 

  • Investor · KNOXVILLE · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Service animals are extremely well trained and I doubt they will cause problems.  Most service animals are dogs.  Emotional support animals (ie pets with paperwork) can be anything and are not trained at all. 


     I am still new to this topic, and will lean on my attorney to guide me, but I read that:

    "The ADA does not require service dogs to be professionally trained. Individuals with disabilities have the right to train a service dog themselves and are not required to use a professional service dog trainer or training program."

    www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/service-dog-training-101/

    This leads me to believe that not all Service Animals will be "extremely well trained".  It is the way of the world now, that some will ruin it for the rest. Sad. Most who need a service animal have every right and I support that. However, those that abuse it, infuriate me.

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    2y

    You cant charge a fee but you can still file an aircover request if the dog causes damages or additional cleaning. 

    I like to ask the question "is your animal a service animal or an ESA?" Many respond to me that they have an ESA which in the state of Utah you can charge for

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Cassy Trask:
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    Service animals are extremely well trained and I doubt they will cause problems.  Most service animals are dogs.  Emotional support animals (ie pets with paperwork) can be anything and are not trained at all. 


     I am still new to this topic, and will lean on my attorney to guide me, but I read that:

    "The ADA does not require service dogs to be professionally trained. Individuals with disabilities have the right to train a service dog themselves and are not required to use a professional service dog trainer or training program."

    www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/service-dog-training-101/

    This leads me to believe that not all Service Animals will be "extremely well trained".  It is the way of the world now, that some will ruin it for the rest. Sad. Most who need a service animal have every right and I support that. However, those that abuse it, infuriate me.


     Most of the service dogs I'm familiar with are trained, but you are correct.  However, you can ask a few questions. "You may ask:

    • Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
    • What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?"

    You apparently can't ask for documentation, but asking the second question will also indirectly answer this question "The dog still needs to be trained to perform a task for a person with a disability to be a service animal." and if the answer is they aren't trained to do any task, then they aren't a service animal according to the ADA website.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.