Are there any ways to create a low maintenance STR or MTR?

Are there any ways to create a low maintenance STR or MTR?

Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 26 votes

If you were starting a new STR or MTR, what are some things you can do to cut down on future maintenance? I'm looking for durable furniture, linens, construction materials, things like that.

I have and STR and an MTR and the maintenance things just keep piling up: LVP cracking, paint chipping/peeling/bubbling, walls constantly getting marked up, dining chair bolts coming loose, stains on every piece of cloth and furniture.

1Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Joseph Harr:

If you were starting a new STR or MTR, what are some things you can do to cut down on future maintenance? I'm looking for durable furniture, linens, construction materials, things like that.

I have and STR and an MTR and the maintenance things just keep piling up: LVP cracking, paint chipping/peeling/bubbling, walls constantly getting marked up, dining chair bolts coming loose, stains on every piece of cloth and furniture.

Being a builder, my first thought goes to the construction type items: Tile or wood floors, vinyl shower kits, high quality wall paint like Behr Marquis, solid wood furniture, good appliances not cheap rental ones, easy to maintain yard outside like DG, artificial turf and gravel.
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Insurance Agent · Gainesville, GA · Member since 2023 · 99 posts · 89 votes
    2y

    Watch out for build-up of humidity. Consider dehumidifiers and flumes/fans for bathrooms, especially ones with showers.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joseph Harr:

    If you were starting a new STR or MTR, what are some things you can do to cut down on future maintenance? I'm looking for durable furniture, linens, construction materials, things like that.

    I have and STR and an MTR and the maintenance things just keep piling up: LVP cracking, paint chipping/peeling/bubbling, walls constantly getting marked up, dining chair bolts coming loose, stains on every piece of cloth and furniture.

    Being a builder, my first thought goes to the construction type items: Tile or wood floors, vinyl shower kits, high quality wall paint like Behr Marquis, solid wood furniture, good appliances not cheap rental ones, easy to maintain yard outside like DG, artificial turf and gravel.
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Just a few tips we have learned through the years:

    1 - Tile of LVP floors.  No laminate - if someone spills water and lets it sit on laminate it will buckle.

    2 - Stone Counters - Make sure they are heat resistant.  Years ago we had some non heat resistant quartz and when people put hot pans on it, it left rings.

    3 - Hotel Linens - Plenty of providers out there for this.  We jump between 3-5 as pricing fluctuates.

    4 - Commercial Grade furniture - Wayfair (and many more) offer commercial grade options.  Important for anything sat on or laid on.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    Absolutely. 

    Use low maintenance materials as me tinned above.

    Have qualified installers who don't cut corners.

    Buy materials with long warranties as this usually signifies higher quality products.

  • Jamie MansfieldPro Member
    Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Joseph Harr:

    If you were starting a new STR or MTR, what are some things you can do to cut down on future maintenance? I'm looking for durable furniture, linens, construction materials, things like that.

    I have and STR and an MTR and the maintenance things just keep piling up: LVP cracking, paint chipping/peeling/bubbling, walls constantly getting marked up, dining chair bolts coming loose, stains on every piece of cloth and furniture.

    Being a builder, my first thought goes to the construction type items: Tile or wood floors, vinyl shower kits, high quality wall paint like Behr Marquis, solid wood furniture, good appliances not cheap rental ones, easy to maintain yard outside like DG, artificial turf and gravel.

    I agree with starting with durable construction, durable furnishings, etc. Saving money/cutting costs on those things will require much more wear/tear/maintenance/replacement, and cost so much more in the long run. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    Same. Plus keep up on maintenance of the hard systems. Furnace, A/C, water heater etc. Much cheaper and easier to get them serviced 2x a year vs replacement.

    Sounds like the LVP is a cheap version. Good LVP doesn't chip. We put Mohawk LVP in our kids bunkroom and it looks great after 7 years.

    You can use some wood glue on the chair bolts to keep them in place.

    USA made furniture with Scotchguard keeps stains to nearly zero in our case. No cloth seats on dining room chairs.

  • Rental Property Investor · south carolina and michigan · Member since 2023 · 348 posts · 226 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joseph Harr:

    If you were starting a new STR or MTR, what are some things you can do to cut down on future maintenance? I'm looking for durable furniture, linens, construction materials, things like that.

    I have and STR and an MTR and the maintenance things just keep piling up: LVP cracking, paint chipping/peeling/bubbling, walls constantly getting marked up, dining chair bolts coming loose, stains on every piece of cloth and furniture.

    Welcome to landlording a str and mtr. 

    low maintenance and str/mtr are oxymoron.

    general rule is the more you pay the longer it lasts in our experience. We got so sick of dealing with weeds and grass we tore out every inch outside and put in artificial turf in both exterior of our houses. Been a great low maintenance investment although not sure how much I saved to have low maintenance as it was 15k 

    it really comes down with your visitation and how much you want to deal with. We do almost all of those things when we visit- tighten bolts on chair's and touch up etc. Some of that there is just no way around.

    there is no scuff paint but I'm not sold on it
  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    2y

    For Exterior - put lanscape fabric down and install turf/gravel or mulch in areas/ Low maintenance and pays off in the long run. 

    For Paint - Especially for doors and trim since they they touched and hit the most - i recommend a durable very washable semi gloss paint. (I sue Behr Scuff defense and its tough and super wipeable)

    I would get loctite glue and glue in those pesky furniture screws that keep coming loose. 


    Servicing the mechanical units goes a longgg way.. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jeremy Jareckyj:

    For Exterior - put lanscape fabric down and install turf/gravel or mulch in areas/ Low maintenance and pays off in the long run. 

    For Paint - Especially for doors and trim since they they touched and hit the most - i recommend a durable very washable semi gloss paint. (I sue Behr Scuff defense and its tough and super wipeable)

    I would get loctite glue and glue in those pesky furniture screws that keep coming loose. 


    Servicing the mechanical units goes a longgg way.. 


     Good appliances is a great tip too. Quality GE or frigidaire appliances. These tend to last the longest and are more affordable to repair compared to samsung and LG . That is what I have been told by multiple appliance repair men.

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    I am having bathroom exhaust fans wired to come on whenever the bathroom light is on. I use Benjamin Moore Scuff X paint - very durable over the past 4 years. The paint is rolled on so that painting contractor cannot dilute the formula when they spray. Also I use Gorilla Mats from Amazon in the bathroom and kitchen underneath the sinks. When I purchase a new rental, I always change out the valves for the toilets and faucets with upgraded valves that are less likely to fail. I also use Delta faucets in bathrooms and kitchens.

  • Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 26 votes
    2y

    Thank you everyone for the recommendations. 

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I too am thinking you're dealing with some cheap materials and furnishings! They shouldn't be the most expensive, but they shouldn't be the cheapest either. Most have great success with pro line furniture and more commercial grade materials. A STR is a commercial hospitality activity, so the property should be set-up and treated as such.

    Once or twice a year, a week should be blocked off the property, and maintenance included touch up painting should be done. Not only does this help with keeping the property looking fresh but also keeps things running with less break downs.  

  • Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:

    I too am thinking you're dealing with some cheap materials and furnishings! They shouldn't be the most expensive, but they shouldn't be the cheapest either. Most have great success with pro line furniture and more commercial grade materials. A STR is a commercial hospitality activity, so the property should be set-up and treated as such.

    Once or twice a year, a week should be blocked off the property, and maintenance included touch up painting should be done. Not only does this help with keeping the property looking fresh but also keeps things running with less break downs.  


    Yes when I bought the houses they already had the flooring and the appliances. All of that looked fine. One house is high end and one is just a mid range flip kind of place. I can tell the flooring was cheap in the one house because it's already cracking in several areas. For the dining furniture in the nicer house, I shelled out and got what seemed to be good stuff but my guests keep breaking the cross bars between the chair legs, staining the cushions, scratching the tabletop, and then just the bolts come loose over time. For the cheaper house, I got the dining chairs from the Habitat for Humanity Restore and they are much better: no cushions, no crossbars to break, etc. For my next place I want some furniture like that but all the places I have looked so far have the fancy ones with bolts and cushions and crossbars. 

    I do pretty well with my STR. Jury is still out on the MTR which I converted from an STR. I can't cashflow LTRs because I can't find them cheap enough with today's mortgage rates, so I'm looking for my next STR now. I think ideally I'd want to get a place that isn't a high priced cheap flip. That way I can just put in more durable things and not pay a premium for a flipper's granite, cheap paint, and cheap floors. I like STR but the maintenance gets expensive and frustrating to manage or do myself.

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joseph Harr:
    Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:

    I too am thinking you're dealing with some cheap materials and furnishings! They shouldn't be the most expensive, but they shouldn't be the cheapest either. Most have great success with pro line furniture and more commercial grade materials. A STR is a commercial hospitality activity, so the property should be set-up and treated as such.

    Once or twice a year, a week should be blocked off the property, and maintenance included touch up painting should be done. Not only does this help with keeping the property looking fresh but also keeps things running with less break downs.  


    Yes when I bought the houses they already had the flooring and the appliances. All of that looked fine. One house is high end and one is just a mid range flip kind of place. I can tell the flooring was cheap in the one house because it's already cracking in several areas. For the dining furniture in the nicer house, I shelled out and got what seemed to be good stuff but my guests keep breaking the cross bars between the chair legs, staining the cushions, scratching the tabletop, and then just the bolts come loose over time. For the cheaper house, I got the dining chairs from the Habitat for Humanity Restore and they are much better: no cushions, no crossbars to break, etc. For my next place I want some furniture like that but all the places I have looked so far have the fancy ones with bolts and cushions and crossbars. 

    I do pretty well with my STR. Jury is still out on the MTR which I converted from an STR. I can't cashflow LTRs because I can't find them cheap enough with today's mortgage rates, so I'm looking for my next STR now. I think ideally I'd want to get a place that isn't a high priced cheap flip. That way I can just put in more durable things and not pay a premium for a flipper's granite, cheap paint, and cheap floors. I like STR but the maintenance gets expensive and frustrating to manage or do myself.

    I try to keep the furniture simple with not many extras like the crossbars etc. The less fabric the better! So definitely no cushions on anything besides your typical living room and bedroom furniture. Wayfair pro line has some great options for STR furniture.

    Maintenance is a pain point for a STR host! If you self-manage, maybe you can find someone that would be willing to take care of all the maintenance for you. A college student, friend, or family member, looking to make a little extra a month might be the perfect fit for you. Also, check into Waivo for damage insurance. You can wrap that cost up into the nightly rate and whatever gets damaged by a guest is covered. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.