Orange beach new construction house for str

Orange beach new construction house for str

Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes

Greetings, we are beginners with str investing, went under contract for a new construction house, 3/3.5, 2000 sq ft, across the street from the beach, good area with many restaurants and entertainment. Having cold feet! Estimates say the rental potential is 55 to 75k a year. I notice a lot of competition from beach front condos of the same size. The community has 120 houses, similar size, all eligible to be strs. Large community pool, 2400 Hoa a year. The house is not on a water. We are  6 hour drive away, so plan to use management comp. No mortgage, so can skip the insurance (is it a good idea at all?). My hope is if it will not give lots of cashflow, at least we’ll cover the expenses and it will appreciate as the area will develop, inflation raises etc. My thinking- many ppl escape Florida now bc of taxes and insurance cost. Maybe Alabama cost will flourish soon. Any thoughts? Should we do it? Have to decide by Friday. 

1Reply
183 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 448 posts · 441 votes
2y

Please do not skip out on good insurance!!!! This is your first line of defense if something goes wrong

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • AJ WongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 834 posts · 696 votes
    2y

    HI Natalia, we specialize in STR investment homes. What is the purchase price? Proposed carrying costs?

    Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @AJ Wong:

    HI Natalia, we specialize in STR investment homes. What is the purchase price? Proposed carrying costs?

    740k, 2000tax, 2400 Hoa, ~3500 insurance 
    we’d need to furnish the house and do additions to the back yard, I’d say 30k more. As to maintenance while rented- hard to say. 
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    Hmm if it appreciates historically you would be okay right?

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Mason:

    Hmm if it appreciates historically you would be okay right?

    Appreciation over years would be a pessimistic scenario. The idea was to invest to get profits as substantial cash flow. We wanted a beach house for a long time, Florida seems problematic lately with raising costs and tightening str restrictions. 
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    Try and see if you can connect to some one who has done this

    https://www.facebook.com/gulfcoastrei/

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    I usually join all the facebook and meetup groups in the area in which I buy and go through 3 months of posts:)  and then connect and meetup and then see..but then I am very patient...

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Mason:

    I usually join all the facebook and meetup groups in the area in which I buy and go through 3 months of posts:)  and then connect and meetup and then see..but then I am very patient...

    That’s one great advice, but I have only till Friday to either go ahead with the purchase or get out. What should we look for instead, if this is not that great of an option? We looked for a house, str permited, no hoa or low hoa in Sarasota area since October- couldn’t really find anything decent. 
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    If you have doubts do not go with it is my advice

    It is a lot of money if you have second thoughts right

    There will be other deals in Gulf Shores AL

    Frankly it is not such that thousand people are waiting in line to buy there:)

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    I invest in Tampa area and will be doing JV from next year ..we can always connect if you wish

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    If I were you I would look at South Venice where STR is allowed rather than Sarasota

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    See if you can get hold of realtors like her and I am syre in a  few weeks you will find pot of gold

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/users/carolyny5

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Mason:

     Thank you! That’s a helpful read. Many ppl  say good things about gulf shore and orange beach for strs. Venus has gray sand, I don’t like :/. 

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y

    Oh I see

    there are 2 options

    1. Go through with your deal which may work out

    2.Back out and spend 2 months doing research on Destin , Fort Walton Beach and also other places like Biloxi MS, connect with investors and realtors there and see if you can do better

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Mason:

    Oh I see

    there are 2 options

    1. Go through with your deal which may work out

    2.Back out and spend 2 months doing research on Destin , Fort Walton Beach and also other places like Biloxi MS, connect with investors and realtors there and see if you can do better

    I know Destin, 30a, Panama City beach, we go there all the time. The orange beach came to play bc of low taxes and basically same beach quality. Same 6 hour drive for us. Sarasota clear water has longer season/warmer, but houses are old and again, taxes 8-10k on a 550 house, plus insurance 6-7. 
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Mason:
    Yes, I’m talking to rental agencies in that area, but they can inflate the numbers to attract more owners, maybe should take with grain of salt. 
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    2y
  • Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 448 posts · 441 votes
    2y

    Please do not skip out on good insurance!!!! This is your first line of defense if something goes wrong

  • Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2024 · 90 posts · 47 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natalia V.:

    Greetings, we are beginners with str investing, went under contract for a new construction house, 3/3.5, 2000 sq ft, across the street from the beach, good area with many restaurants and entertainment. Having cold feet! Estimates say the rental potential is 55 to 75k a year. I notice a lot of competition from beach front condos of the same size. The community has 120 houses, similar size, all eligible to be strs. Large community pool, 2400 Hoa a year. The house is not on a water. We are  6 hour drive away, so plan to use management comp. No mortgage, so can skip the insurance (is it a good idea at all?). My hope is if it will not give lots of cashflow, at least we’ll cover the expenses and it will appreciate as the area will develop, inflation raises etc. My thinking- many ppl escape Florida now bc of taxes and insurance cost. Maybe Alabama cost will flourish soon. Any thoughts? Should we do it? Have to decide by Friday. 


    I have a few thoughts:
    -Homes just off the water (in walking distance) almost always have better ROI due to lower purchase price. It's honestly the prime location.
    -Is there a garage? Can you convert into another bedroom? 
    -Don't skip insurance! 
    -I know the panhandle well in terms of STRs. We had quite a few there with the last large fund I was with and A LOT of the homes look exactly the same and have all the same amenities. I think this area is prime to stand out but you'll need to spend likely more than 30k to furnish and amenitize. I think 25k to furnish, stage and stock with essentials (linens, towels, kitchen, etc.) Then, I would add some stand out amenities and convert the garage if you can (or another small space if available). This should significantly boost your revenue and make you stand out among the competition. 

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Annie Seurer

    I have a few thoughts:
    -Homes just off the water (in walking distance) almost always have better ROI due to lower purchase price. It's honestly the prime location.
    -Is there a garage? Can you convert into another bedroom? 
    -Don't skip insurance! 
    -I know the panhandle well in terms of STRs. We had quite a few there with the last large fund I was with and A LOT of the homes look exactly the same and have all the same amenities. I think this area is prime to stand out but you'll need to spend likely more than 30k to furnish and amenitize. I think 25k to furnish, stage and stock with essentials (linens, towels, kitchen, etc.) Then, I would add some stand out amenities and convert the garage if you can (or another small space if available). This should significantly boost your revenue and make you stand out among the competition. 

    Thank you Annie, that’s helpful. 
    the community is 3 min drive/12min walk to the beach. Some homes are smaller 1500sq ft on pillars, which gives them three parking spaces under the house. Our chosen house is bigger but on a slab, I liked it bc it’s more spacious and looks better quality with tall ceiling etc. But no garage :/. Pillar ones do not have any backyard. We have nice size backyard, all sand, I was thinking to add a sitting area/outdoor eating area/firepit. Private pools not allowed, maybe a hot tub, still don’t have definitive answer if it’s allowed. The subdivision is on the wetlands, its nature protected area. You are exactly right, the houses that stand out (wetland view, kids game room..) have already more reviews on Vrbo in this subdivision. We’d have to stand out somehow. Does the pillar home make more sense, same 3/3,5 but it’s 500 sq ft smaller. It’s also cheaper 675k. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.