Guest requesting full refund due to rain

Guest requesting full refund due to rain

Realtor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2023 · 111 posts · 87 votes

A guest just contacted me asking for a full refund for her week’s stay. She was due to arrive today. She claims there is rain in the forecast for the next 5 days and also that it is too dangerous to drive. My cancellation policy is moderate. I don’t see any rain in our area today when she was planning to drive. No tropical storm, cyclone or state of emergency has been issued. There are really just a couple of rainstorms moving around the state at the moment. I personally have no problem driving in the rain if there was any. I don’t understand why she would cancel an entire 7 night stay when the rain may happen in a short period. I don’t know if she has travel insurance but will ask! Any other tips for this? 

1Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
2y

Tell her you can't control the weather. 

Refund the cleaning fee. 

Tell her that if she cancels and it rebooks for all of her days you could do a refund then..

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mindy Nicol:
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:

    You should have a strict policy in place

    For example:

    Within 3 days of booking they can cancel with full refund

    Anything after they can get half of their refund back

    Or they pay extra to get a free cancellation policy. 


    this would never work for Abnb  

     Anytime I have booked an airbnb this has been an option on some of them


    I have Moderate set up which is a full refund if they cancel 5 days or more before arrival.  However, guests still ask for a full refund despite the type of cancellation policy you have.


     AH i understand. What is the negative outcome for not approving their refund? Poor reviews? They wont stay here in future?

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mindy Nicol:

    A guest just contacted me asking for a full refund for her week’s stay. She was due to arrive today. She claims there is rain in the forecast for the next 5 days and also that it is too dangerous to drive. My cancellation policy is moderate. I don’t see any rain in our area today when she was planning to drive. No tropical storm, cyclone or state of emergency has been issued. There are really just a couple of rainstorms moving around the state at the moment. I personally have no problem driving in the rain if there was any. I don’t understand why she would cancel an entire 7 night stay when the rain may happen in a short period. I don’t know if she has travel insurance but will ask! Any other tips for this? 


     Yes say NO, not sure what you want us to say. Weather is ALWAYS an issue no matter where you travel. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:
    Quote from @Mindy Nicol:
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:

    You should have a strict policy in place

    For example:

    Within 3 days of booking they can cancel with full refund

    Anything after they can get half of their refund back

    Or they pay extra to get a free cancellation policy. 


    this would never work for Abnb  

     Anytime I have booked an airbnb this has been an option on some of them


    I have Moderate set up which is a full refund if they cancel 5 days or more before arrival.  However, guests still ask for a full refund despite the type of cancellation policy you have.


     AH i understand. What is the negative outcome for not approving their refund? Poor reviews? They wont stay here in future?


     If you do not have any complaints, you're not doing enough business. 

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Mindy Nicol, offer her a "walk in the rain" experience for only $250 extra to help make her stay more memorable! lol

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    2y

    Gotta make sure in your listing and RA you have that there will be no reufnds due to weather. Also need to make sure you are encouraging them to buy travel insurance. 

    When you go to Disney World and it rains they don't give you a discount or refund, they sell you a overpriced poncho. 

  • Investor · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 173 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    Tell her you can't control the weather. 

    Refund the cleaning fee. 

    Tell her that if she cancels and it rebooks for all of her days you could do a refund then..


    This is what I do.  A flat out, "No", makes you sound uncooperative.  When I give the guest an option like this, 9/10 times, the guest never rebooks and I keep their money.  I changed my cancellation policy from moderate to strict and my bookings never went down.  If something comes up, then I will work with them though.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 60 posts · 27 votes
    2y

    I WISH it would rain here in Jax!

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 641 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    This is the most ridiculous cancellation excuse I ever heard of. I wouldn't even return the cleaning fee to be honest, I'd politely, or maybe not so politely, tell her to go pound sand..

    Rain. Really? 


    this is the exact reasons I only stay in Hotels and will only do STR as an absolute necessity.. I can cancel within 24 hours and full refund or actually my card never gets charged.. My trip to Montana next week is facing the same thing I had to rent a little house there and of course would you not know it but snow in the forecast and so being on the lake is going to be freezing $ss . I will still go and hope the weather man screwed up some. and in the mountains of the west you know how changeable the weather can be.. :)  If there was a motel/hotel there I would have booked that with the cancellation policy  and probably post poned this trip a week. Of course i understand not everyone can just change dates like I can based on their job..

    STR are not hotels. if you want hotels/motels, you book them. But our beach places offer families space (not having multiple hotel rooms), fully stocked kitchen, beach supplies, etc. I cannot control the weather, if that is a concern then travelers insurance should be purchased.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.