Realtor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2023 · 111 posts · 87 votes
A guest just contacted me asking for a full refund for her week’s stay. She was due to arrive today. She claims there is rain in the forecast for the next 5 days and also that it is too dangerous to drive. My cancellation policy is moderate. I don’t see any rain in our area today when she was planning to drive. No tropical storm, cyclone or state of emergency has been issued. There are really just a couple of rainstorms moving around the state at the moment. I personally have no problem driving in the rain if there was any. I don’t understand why she would cancel an entire 7 night stay when the rain may happen in a short period. I don’t know if she has travel insurance but will ask! Any other tips for this?
Within 3 days of booking they can cancel with full refund
Anything after they can get half of their refund back
Or they pay extra to get a free cancellation policy.
this would never work for Abnb
Anytime I have booked an airbnb this has been an option on some of them
I have Moderate set up which is a full refund if they cancel 5 days or more before arrival. However, guests still ask for a full refund despite the type of cancellation policy you have.
AH i understand. What is the negative outcome for not approving their refund? Poor reviews? They wont stay here in future?
A guest just contacted me asking for a full refund for her week’s stay. She was due to arrive today. She claims there is rain in the forecast for the next 5 days and also that it is too dangerous to drive. My cancellation policy is moderate. I don’t see any rain in our area today when she was planning to drive. No tropical storm, cyclone or state of emergency has been issued. There are really just a couple of rainstorms moving around the state at the moment. I personally have no problem driving in the rain if there was any. I don’t understand why she would cancel an entire 7 night stay when the rain may happen in a short period. I don’t know if she has travel insurance but will ask! Any other tips for this?
Yes say NO, not sure what you want us to say. Weather is ALWAYS an issue no matter where you travel.
Within 3 days of booking they can cancel with full refund
Anything after they can get half of their refund back
Or they pay extra to get a free cancellation policy.
this would never work for Abnb
Anytime I have booked an airbnb this has been an option on some of them
I have Moderate set up which is a full refund if they cancel 5 days or more before arrival. However, guests still ask for a full refund despite the type of cancellation policy you have.
AH i understand. What is the negative outcome for not approving their refund? Poor reviews? They wont stay here in future?
If you do not have any complaints, you're not doing enough business.
Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
2y
Gotta make sure in your listing and RA you have that there will be no reufnds due to weather. Also need to make sure you are encouraging them to buy travel insurance.
When you go to Disney World and it rains they don't give you a discount or refund, they sell you a overpriced poncho.
Tell her that if she cancels and it rebooks for all of her days you could do a refund then..
This is what I do. A flat out, "No", makes you sound uncooperative. When I give the guest an option like this, 9/10 times, the guest never rebooks and I keep their money. I changed my cancellation policy from moderate to strict and my bookings never went down. If something comes up, then I will work with them though.
This is the most ridiculous cancellation excuse I ever heard of. I wouldn't even return the cleaning fee to be honest, I'd politely, or maybe not so politely, tell her to go pound sand..
Rain. Really?
this is the exact reasons I only stay in Hotels and will only do STR as an absolute necessity.. I can cancel within 24 hours and full refund or actually my card never gets charged.. My trip to Montana next week is facing the same thing I had to rent a little house there and of course would you not know it but snow in the forecast and so being on the lake is going to be freezing $ss . I will still go and hope the weather man screwed up some. and in the mountains of the west you know how changeable the weather can be.. :) If there was a motel/hotel there I would have booked that with the cancellation policy and probably post poned this trip a week. Of course i understand not everyone can just change dates like I can based on their job..
STR are not hotels. if you want hotels/motels, you book them. But our beach places offer families space (not having multiple hotel rooms), fully stocked kitchen, beach supplies, etc. I cannot control the weather, if that is a concern then travelers insurance should be purchased.