Need advice/experience with hosts providing gym equipment for guest

Need advice/experience with hosts providing gym equipment for guest

Rental Property Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Here’s the scenario…

My wife and I just bought a duplex in a South Carolina beach town. We will be doing a short term rental on the top unit (3bed/2bath) while living in the bottom unit (3bed/1bath). We’ve been tossing around the idea of converting one of our bedrooms into a gym (treadmill, weights, bench, etc with towel and water service). That bedroom has access from the outside through a door built into the side of the house. This would allow the guests to go privately in and out of the gym without walking through our unit. We’ve done our research and there are no other short term rentals that offer an on-site gym or exercise room. I’m not looking for advice to see if this would be profitable or not, right now I’m looking for first-hand experience with allowing guests the use of gym equipment and the liability that may come with it. Please no speculation, I need first hand experience. We are also reaching out to a Tenant lawyer, but just wanted to see if anyone came across this. 

Thanks!

0Reply
32 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 630 posts · 303 votes
    2y

    Hello!!!! I have hosted many AirBNBs in the Tampa Florida area. In my opinion, being able to host more guests has brought higher revenues for us. Being able to host 6-8 guests over 4-6 would be a smaller 2 bedroom unit. I think you should maximize the guests and maybe offer a small weight set and yoga mat. It's a cool idea but run the numbers in the BP STR calculator and see what the difference in the income is as well. Let the money talk. Best of luck!

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    I don't see a home gym as any sort of additional liability, provided that you have machines that are relatively idiot proof and are not inherently dangerous. Just make sure you disclose the set-up to your insurance company.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I agree with Maya I would use that to potentially house more guests.  If you are set on the idea, for liability I would have the attorney draft a waiver, simple and cheap.

    Again, personally I would use that space for guests and possible include a gym pass to a local gym?

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Sorry, I should have been more clear in my post. I wouldn't be changing any of the rooms in the STR unit into a gym. I would be changing a room in my unit into a gym. So there would still be 3 bedrooms and 2 baths in the STR. But we would be changing one of our 3 bedrooms into a gym. The reason for this is because we would also be using that room as a gym, so that's why we wanted to make it accessible for the guests too.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I would ask insurance companies to price your policy with and without a gym.  Tell them the gym will be in your unit with a separate entrance where you could control the hours it was open.  And find out whether they would require a liability waiver from each guest.

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I don't see a home gym as any sort of additional liability, provided that you have machines that are relatively idiot proof and are not inherently dangerous. Just make sure you disclose the set-up to your insurance company.

    Relatively idiot proof....love it! :D
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.