We travelled to tarpon springs with my wife in March and really loved the area and the parks/beaches there.
We are thinking about buying a vacation house/ investment property there. We are not sur yet if we should do short term or middle term rental.
What do you think about the area compared to Saint Petersburg? Is there a lot of demand for short term or middle term rental? Any advice on the type of place we shouldget ? We are thinking a 3BR with pool, 10min max from the beach. Any area/neighborhood we should avoid ?
Any experienced landlord I could contact to ask questions and advices ?
Real Estate Agent · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 148 votes
2y
Hi Tom,
As others have said, trying to set this up in the Tarpon Springs municipality will be difficult. But there are nearby areas that could work very well.
There are 24 municipalities in Pinellas County, not including the unincorporated areas.
Unincorporated Pinellas County is super-simple for STR (and obviously anything longer term), and would probably be your best bet. These are smaller spots that have a mailing address in a municipality (like Clearwater), but aren't technically inside the city boundaries so they default to the County.
The tough part would be the 10 minutes max from the beach. But Northern Pinellas is still a possibility.
Indian Rocks Beach is the most attractive turn-key option, but the price points reflect that.
In short, it can be done. It will require homework and legwork though.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
Hey Tom I have a lot of experience here in Pinellas County, currently managing about 65 units.
I would recommend staying out of Tarpon as they are strict 30 night minimum rental, and the demand is not as high as Clearwater/St Pete which also have 30 night minimums.
I would also avoid the 30 night minimum jurisdictions completely because you can be close by and have STR friendly jurisdictions that will allow you a higher rate and more flexibility.
Real Estate Agent · Belleair Bluffs, FL · Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 8 votes
2y
Hi Tom,
I'm a real estate agent specializing in investment properties in Pinellas County, particularly near the beaches. Many cities allow short-term rentals in Pinellas County, such as Largo, Indian Rocks Beach, and unincorporated areas, which all do very well with short-term rentals. Tarpon Springs is only about 35-45 minutes north of these areas and does not allow short-term rentals. I own and manage a few short-term rentals in Indian Rocks Beach, Largo, and Seminole. If you need any advice or want information on how to do this, just let me know; I would love to help.
Real Estate Agent · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 148 votes
2y
Hi Tom,
As others have said, trying to set this up in the Tarpon Springs municipality will be difficult. But there are nearby areas that could work very well.
There are 24 municipalities in Pinellas County, not including the unincorporated areas.
Unincorporated Pinellas County is super-simple for STR (and obviously anything longer term), and would probably be your best bet. These are smaller spots that have a mailing address in a municipality (like Clearwater), but aren't technically inside the city boundaries so they default to the County.
The tough part would be the 10 minutes max from the beach. But Northern Pinellas is still a possibility.
Indian Rocks Beach is the most attractive turn-key option, but the price points reflect that.
In short, it can be done. It will require homework and legwork though.
Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate and may contact you in private. I will look more into those unincorporated areas and also those jurisdiction which allow short term rental.
We really liked tarpon springs area and were hoping to enjoy the place as well a few times during the year. I guess we will have to make some choices.
what do you think about the areas just a bit south like palm arbor or crystal beach ? I looked briefly and it looks like they allow short term ?
We are also considering mid term rental (over 30 days). Do those type of rental work well in the area ? Is it possible to get a good occupancy rate (of course it depends of the house and location) if the place is attractive enough ?
I agree with the above comments. It is a very competitive market here with restrictions all over the place. I am in the Clearwater/Largo area and have had a lot of luck here. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have!!!
Thank you all for your answers. I really appreciate and may contact you in private. I will look more into those unincorporated areas and also those jurisdiction which allow short term rental.
We really liked tarpon springs area and were hoping to enjoy the place as well a few times during the year. I guess we will have to make some choices.
what do you think about the areas just a bit south like palm arbor or crystal beach ? I looked briefly and it looks like they allow short term ?
We are also considering mid term rental (over 30 days). Do those type of rental work well in the area ? Is it possible to get a good occupancy rate (of course it depends of the house and location) if the place is attractive enough ?
Thank you !
If a property is listed in Tarpon it is illegal. I managed one there for a few months before they shut it down. They will, its only a matter of time.
I would avoid going into the property strictly with the MTR strategy. You will have vacancy and will get a lower price per night. Finding STR viable properties and incorporating MTR strategy in slow months is what works best.
Crystal Beach is an option as well as Palm Harbor - however a word of caution a lot of Palm Harbor is HOA and I would avoid that as well. There are sections of Dunedin and northern Clearwater that are Unincorporated (and therefore legal) that will be quite close to Tarpon and be a much better investment.