Buying a STR in CHS

Buying a STR in CHS

Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2021 · 263 posts · 122 votes

My wife and I are under contract for a STR in downtown Charleston, SC. The value add will be in the operations as the current owner(s) haven't kept their fingers on the pulse to run it at it's peak. Looking through the numbers and data, the "missing piece" seems to be migrating to more direct bookings and weekday rentals. Also, the check-in process if very manual, requiring someone to handover fobs to unlock the door.

We are looking to partner with local event planners and corporate travel bookers to help fill weekday gaps and potential book the entire property (3/3 on each of the three floors). We are also looking at smart locks to integrate into Jurny PMS. 

Does anyone else have suggestions for increasing weekday rentals? Migrating to more direct bookings? Smart lock suggestions?

1Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
2y

Have you confirmed that is currently a legal STR?

I had heard Charleston had cracked down on STR requirements.

I like the schlage encode as well.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff ChisumPro Member
    Lender · All 50 States · Member since 2020 · 248 posts · 142 votes
    2y

    The Schlage Encode is what I’ve had success with.  Easy platform to program guest specific codes.  If in a high humidity area out a moisture absorber in the batter compartment and put it on your cleaners punch list to change out twice a month

    https://a.co/d/hjR2Spd

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    Have you confirmed that is currently a legal STR?

    I had heard Charleston had cracked down on STR requirements.

    I like the schlage encode as well.

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2021 · 263 posts · 122 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    Have you confirmed that is currently a legal STR?

    I had heard Charleston had cracked down on STR requirements.

    I like the schlage encode as well.

    Yes confirmed. It operates as one now and will continue to be approved.
  • Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    See if you can get in touch with Mike Savage. I believe he's the local STR expert.

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 182 posts · 73 votes
    2y

    @Cody Lewis have you spoke to Mike Savage about his revenue management for STRs? He does this for mine for a low flat monthly fee and he really helps fill up the weekdays/off seasons and optimize booking revenue during the peak times.

  • Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2024 · 90 posts · 47 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Cody Lewis:

    My wife and I are under contract for a STR in downtown Charleston, SC. The value add will be in the operations as the current owner(s) haven't kept their fingers on the pulse to run it at it's peak. Looking through the numbers and data, the "missing piece" seems to be migrating to more direct bookings and weekday rentals. Also, the check-in process if very manual, requiring someone to handover fobs to unlock the door.

    We are looking to partner with local event planners and corporate travel bookers to help fill weekday gaps and potential book the entire property (3/3 on each of the three floors). We are also looking at smart locks to integrate into Jurny PMS. 

    Does anyone else have suggestions for increasing weekday rentals? Migrating to more direct bookings? Smart lock suggestions?


     Charleston is such a great market. Does the home have amenities? I see a lot of properties failing due to poor design and lack of amenities. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.