Do I need a property manager just to manage bookings?

Do I need a property manager just to manage bookings?

Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 6 votes

I'm wanting to migrate from Evolve, and I'm wanting to take over as much of the management as possible. I've setup new listings and integrations with Hospitable, Schlage, Pricelabs and other services. The challenge is I'm out of state, so I can't physically deal with incidentals. 

I found someone local who is willing to handle property management (for 20%), but it feels like a waste if I'm already handling the listings and automation and integrations to run the business. I need someone who is motivated to generate direct bookings, especially since my property is themed, and Airbnb doesn't do a great job of marketing the theme. 

Alternatively, she offers guest services for a fixed rate, but then there's the question of how burdensome handling bookings would be if I manage that myself. If I'm doing the work to build direct bookings, I don't want to pay commission on that. 

Also, I want to create an in-house store with Stayfi and The Host Co to sell themed merchandise and local vendor services. But, I'm going to need to do the networking myself to build partnerships with local vendors and source merchandise, and all they'd be responsible for is letting me know when it needs to be restocked. 

I also have a close relationship with the cleaning company, so that part is covered. 

So, do I really need a full service provider? 

I'm wondering if anyone can share some experience here. 

2Reply
61 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
2y

It really depends on you and how involved you're willing to be, especially if any of your current at-large operators don't work out. I cycled through several PMs before landing on my best current option, which is a husband & wife caretaking team that deals with my cleanings, takes care of my pool, handles emergency issues, puts out the trash on Sunday night, and sets up and waits with various contractors when things need to be dealt with. They don't get involved at all with booking or essentially anything with the guests other than emergency repairs or some other issue I can't handle with them. I end up having maybe slightly more involvement than I might have had with the PMs but honestly the PMs were so bad I was having more involvement constantly dealing with their BS. 

My caretakers handle all of my restocking. 

How I found them was pretty simple, actually. When I decided to dump the last PM, I went on my community FB page and asked for recommendations. I got maybe half a dozen in total, some of the same names multiple times, and I went and looked at the houses that were being cared for by the different people. The best looking houses were all being cared for by my current caretakers, and other than one hiccup they've done a good job. 

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y

    It really depends on you and how involved you're willing to be, especially if any of your current at-large operators don't work out. I cycled through several PMs before landing on my best current option, which is a husband & wife caretaking team that deals with my cleanings, takes care of my pool, handles emergency issues, puts out the trash on Sunday night, and sets up and waits with various contractors when things need to be dealt with. They don't get involved at all with booking or essentially anything with the guests other than emergency repairs or some other issue I can't handle with them. I end up having maybe slightly more involvement than I might have had with the PMs but honestly the PMs were so bad I was having more involvement constantly dealing with their BS. 

    My caretakers handle all of my restocking. 

    How I found them was pretty simple, actually. When I decided to dump the last PM, I went on my community FB page and asked for recommendations. I got maybe half a dozen in total, some of the same names multiple times, and I went and looked at the houses that were being cared for by the different people. The best looking houses were all being cared for by my current caretakers, and other than one hiccup they've done a good job. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 712 posts · 642 votes
    2y

    i would say, read the forums here. I would bet the most of us self manage. I self manage from 6 hours away. I do have great cleaners and they will drop items off or handle some small items (for a charge). luckily that doesnt happen that often. But you can manage remotely fairly easy

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    If you are handling all of the admin side of things, the rest is easy once you set up the systems. Find a reliable cleaner and handyman with STR experience and references. You will likely have to hire/fire a few times over before finding your final hire.\

    I will say, as a PM, where I add the most value if the 24/7 guest communications, 20+ platforms including some big names like JetBlue and Marriott, pricing with RevMax and a live revenue manager, etc.  We not offer this at 10%.  While we have good facilities management, I cannot say my cleaner is the absolute best and is head and shoulders above the rest.

    People tend to hire us who are too busy to talk to guests, do the pricing, etc.  If you are reachable and have the bandwith to do it, you will be fine. If not, hire the manager.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    It's too bad that you have Evolve. You are going to have to start over with your listing @Devin Bost. Could be a good thing.

  • Garrett BrownPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2024 · 514 posts · 553 votes
    2y

    If you have a trust worthy cleaner, handy person, and a local inspector, I would self manage. You can almost automate 95% of it and get a business line with 24/7 answering service if nervous about late night calls. 

    I like using local real estate agents or someone trustworthy from a local FB group that I vet to be inspectors at my properties. 

  • Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Could you please elaborate by what you mean about inspectors? Are they to check for issues needing repairs, stains, preventative maintenance issues? How often do you have them inspect? 

  • Realtor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    Hey Devin, in my opinion you don't need a property manager for your bookings if you've got the automation in place to handle bookings and tenant questions. I know a few hosts who manage themselves, but it can quickly become very time consuming with every one-off maintenance issue. The owner I know uses a local handyman service they've built a relationship with to handle one-off issues that come up and perform regular maintenance, and it sounds like you've already got cleaning locked down. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Stewartsville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 419 posts · 280 votes
    2y

    We self manage 3 properties that are 7 hours away.  You can easily handle the guest communication, especially if you use a PMS like Hospitable or similar that has canned message responses, and AI integration.  We have Hospitable setup to automatically send messages to our cleaners for new bookings, cancellations, and alterations.  We also have Hospitable configured to text message me if we don't have anyone there the night before a guest arrives with the canned message ready to go so we can just copy/paste to the guest that they can get in early.  

    Leverage the PMS as much as possible.

    HOpe that helps.

    Mike

  • Member since 2024 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    @Devin Bost, I understand the dilemma you're facing in choosing between full-service property management and a more hands-on approach for your short-term rental. Given that you have already set up essential automations (Hospitable, Pricelabs, Schlage, etc.) and built solid relationships with local services (cleaning company), you might not need a traditional full-service manager. Instead, a hybrid approach could be more cost-effective and aligned with your goals.

    Why Full-Service Property Management Might Not Be Necessary:

    Based on my experience, Evolve is a popular "half-service" property manager, which means they handle tasks like creating professional listings, managing dynamic pricing, guest communication, and advertising on platforms like Airbnb, Vrbo, and Booking.com. However, they don’t offer on-the-ground management, restocking, or property maintenance services that are crucial for remote owners. This setup may work for investors who want to remain somewhat involved, but it can fall short for out-of-state owners looking for passive income​

    From your description, it seems you have a system in place for these foundational services. So, paying Evolve’s typical 10% management fee might not deliver the value you’re looking for. Other options like Vacasa or Casago might offer more complete services if you’re willing to pay a higher percentage (18%+), which includes maintenance, check-ins, and restocking​

    Considerations for a Guest Services Manager:

    The alternative of hiring a local guest services manager at a fixed rate could work, especially if you only need them to handle physical tasks (e.g., greeting guests or handling emergencies). With tools like Stayfi and The Host Co for direct bookings and in-house store management, you’re already taking steps to maximize revenue. A fixed-rate manager might let you retain control over the booking process while saving on commissions.

    If direct bookings are a primary goal, having someone motivated to push these (beyond the traditional channels) is crucial. I would recommend negotiating performance-based bonuses rather than commissions, ensuring that their focus aligns with your revenue strategy.

    Given that you are looking to expand your property with an in-house store and unique theme, a property manager focused on tailored guest experiences rather than just bookings would be more beneficial. Perhaps, hiring a local co-host (or even a boutique manager) who is passionate about your property’s brand might be the sweet spot.

    PS: One interesting fact—Evolve’s 10% fee often excludes local vendor costs like cleaning, which can add up to an additional 10-15% of revenue. This is something many hosts overlook when evaluating their options​

    Let me know if this helps clarify, or if you want to dive into other management solutions!

    Jasper

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.