So now VRBO tells us when and how to communicate?

So now VRBO tells us when and how to communicate?

Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes

Did y'all get the VRBO email on their new Host Communication policy and with it, sale of property?  Not that the communication policy they set forward is outrageous, it just gets tiring of being told what and how to do things from the various platforms.  Most of what they are asking is consistent with what I already do (I may have to change some of my timing) but boy, it makes me wonder what other hosts are doing out there that they have to make this a policy.

Answering critical questions
You must answer critical questions from guests in accordance with the timeline below:

  • 5+ days pre-stay: answer within 24 hours
  • 2 - 4 days pre-stay: answer within 12 hours
  • On the guest’s check-in day and during their stay: answer within 1 hour (for messages received between 8 am and 9 pm in the property’s time zone).

Access or Check-in instructions
You must inform guests how to check in or access your property at least 72 hours before their scheduled check-in time. Use one of the options below:

A. Property access instructions: Provide the guest with detailed access instructions in either your Welcome Guide, listing description, Reservation Manager or through the Vrbo messaging platform
(For example, include guidance in your listing description about picking up a key from the office upon check-in.)

Or

B. Check-in process: Inform the guest when and how they’ll receive the property access details.
(For example, explain in your listing description or a message to the guest that you will email a door code at 9 AM EST on the day of check-in.)

Vrbo’s actions

If a guest contacts us within 72 hours of their check-in time because you didn’t provide information critical to their stay, we may take the following actions:

  • Depending on the issue, we will either provide the necessary information or contact you for a resolution so the guest can proceed with their stay.
  • If we’re unable to resolve the issue or reach you, we’ll cancel the booking, refund the guest, and help the guest find somewhere else to stay.
1Reply
196 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

What I am wondering is if this is a knee jerk reaction to Hurricane Helene.  Even with all the automated messages in place, we had a ton of guests trying to contact us about their bookings at our cabins in the Smokies. We were without power in a mess here in SC. I already live out in the country so cell service isn't great, but then they lost a number of cell towers and since internet was down just about everywhere, the cell towers were overloaded. We could not respond in a normal time frame that we usually respond in.

So just wondering if guests were trying to contact hosts to find out if their rental was still available etc.. and not getting responses and guests were getting panicky.  I dunno just a thought. I could see how lots of hosts would not have had the ability to respond in a timely fashion. I have a daughter with some health issues and has a strict diet regime of prepared foods. My focus was on doing everything I could to preserve her food, not on responding to guests for the first couple of day while we were without power. I'm sure others in the affected areas were focused on more serious problems as well.

Just a thought.

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denis PonderPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Yuma, AZ · Member since 2023 · 280 posts · 246 votes
    1y

    I can see VRBO trying to protect their brand and set a bar of excellence with this.

    However, it also makes you wonder if they are being rated accurately.  If multiple guests have a terrible experience and rate those accordingly, this should resolve itself.  If someone comes by after that and books a 2star property expecting 5star service, that's their fault.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:

    I can see VRBO trying to protect their brand and set a bar of excellence with this.

    However, it also makes you wonder if they are being rated accurately.  If multiple guests have a terrible experience and rate those accordingly, this should resolve itself.  If someone comes by after that and books a 2star property expecting 5star service, that's their fault.

    They are trying to turn in to AirBnb…
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    They wouldn't have to set expectations of everyone was doing it as they should.

    I have stuff set on auto.

    I get a text and usually answer in minutes so it's no big deal for me.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Yup, I posted this a couple of hours ago.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    A good host will naturally do this anyway, but now it's a 'have-to'

    Getting to be a PITA.....

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:

    I can see VRBO trying to protect their brand and set a bar of excellence with this.

    However, it also makes you wonder if they are being rated accurately.  If multiple guests have a terrible experience and rate those accordingly, this should resolve itself.  If someone comes by after that and books a 2star property expecting 5star service, that's their fault.

    They are trying to turn in to AirBnb…

    If they want to do that, at least improve on the interface/user experience. VRBO's is a decade behind AirBnb in that regard. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:

    I can see VRBO trying to protect their brand and set a bar of excellence with this.

    However, it also makes you wonder if they are being rated accurately.  If multiple guests have a terrible experience and rate those accordingly, this should resolve itself.  If someone comes by after that and books a 2star property expecting 5star service, that's their fault.


     Problem is that they are putting all of the onus on the host instead of working on their own backend issues. A few examples: 

    -OneKey points that can be redeemed for some listings but not others

    -Certain photos being denied from upload with no explanation for why

    -Completely failed dynamic pricing tool that puts you in a catch 22 with your calendar 

    At least AirBnb has their IT game in order and a modern and relatively intuitive interface with updated fonts, graphics etc. VRBO needs a facelift, badly. 

  • Denis PonderPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Yuma, AZ · Member since 2023 · 280 posts · 246 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jon Martin:
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:

    I can see VRBO trying to protect their brand and set a bar of excellence with this.

    However, it also makes you wonder if they are being rated accurately.  If multiple guests have a terrible experience and rate those accordingly, this should resolve itself.  If someone comes by after that and books a 2star property expecting 5star service, that's their fault.


     Problem is that they are putting all of the onus on the host instead of working on their own backend issues. A few examples: 

    -OneKey points that can be redeemed for some listings but not others

    -Certain photos being denied from upload with no explanation for why

    -Completely failed dynamic pricing tool that puts you in a catch 22 with your calendar 

    At least AirBnb has their IT game in order and a modern and relatively intuitive interface with updated fonts, graphics etc. VRBO needs a facelift, badly. 

    Fair points.  I bailed on VRBO after about a year.  99% of my bookings come from AirBnB.  Much easier app to navigate and use.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jon Martin:
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:

    I can see VRBO trying to protect their brand and set a bar of excellence with this.

    However, it also makes you wonder if they are being rated accurately.  If multiple guests have a terrible experience and rate those accordingly, this should resolve itself.  If someone comes by after that and books a 2star property expecting 5star service, that's their fault.


     Problem is that they are putting all of the onus on the host instead of working on their own backend issues. A few examples: 

    -OneKey points that can be redeemed for some listings but not others

    -Certain photos being denied from upload with no explanation for why

    -Completely failed dynamic pricing tool that puts you in a catch 22 with your calendar 

    At least AirBnb has their IT game in order and a modern and relatively intuitive interface with updated fonts, graphics etc. VRBO needs a facelift, badly. 


     I really like Vrbo's free dynamic pricing tool. It has worked well for me.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Jon Martin:
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:

    I can see VRBO trying to protect their brand and set a bar of excellence with this.

    However, it also makes you wonder if they are being rated accurately.  If multiple guests have a terrible experience and rate those accordingly, this should resolve itself.  If someone comes by after that and books a 2star property expecting 5star service, that's their fault.


     Problem is that they are putting all of the onus on the host instead of working on their own backend issues. A few examples: 

    -OneKey points that can be redeemed for some listings but not others

    -Certain photos being denied from upload with no explanation for why

    -Completely failed dynamic pricing tool that puts you in a catch 22 with your calendar 

    At least AirBnb has their IT game in order and a modern and relatively intuitive interface with updated fonts, graphics etc. VRBO needs a facelift, badly. 


     I really like Vrbo's free dynamic pricing tool. It has worked well for me.


     I'm with you.  I use VRBO as my pricing tool that then syncs with others.  BUT, I used to get 80%+ of my business through VRBO and out of no where, I can't rank with them at all.  Now I'm almost exclusively AirBNB.  I've done EVERYTHING VRBO asks but I'm still way down.  I have the worst account rep that actually tells me to do things that are already there (like you should add a 10% or more discount for weekly rentals...um, did you even look at my listings first?).  I've loosened my cancellation policies, my rates are consistent across channels, I have all 5 star reviews and for now, I'm still a Premier host.  Oh well.  

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    I really like Vrbo's free dynamic pricing tool. It has worked well for me.

     I'm sure I would like it if it worked. I had to go into the app to delete it (based on your rec, thank you btw!) because the desktop version put me into an endless loop. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    My guess is not all people are good at reading and following instructions that others assume are basic common sense things.  Perhaps they've had an uptick in problems and are trying to deal with it via a mass email.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    What I am wondering is if this is a knee jerk reaction to Hurricane Helene.  Even with all the automated messages in place, we had a ton of guests trying to contact us about their bookings at our cabins in the Smokies. We were without power in a mess here in SC. I already live out in the country so cell service isn't great, but then they lost a number of cell towers and since internet was down just about everywhere, the cell towers were overloaded. We could not respond in a normal time frame that we usually respond in.

    So just wondering if guests were trying to contact hosts to find out if their rental was still available etc.. and not getting responses and guests were getting panicky.  I dunno just a thought. I could see how lots of hosts would not have had the ability to respond in a timely fashion. I have a daughter with some health issues and has a strict diet regime of prepared foods. My focus was on doing everything I could to preserve her food, not on responding to guests for the first couple of day while we were without power. I'm sure others in the affected areas were focused on more serious problems as well.

    Just a thought.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    What I am wondering is if this is a knee jerk reaction to Hurricane Helene.  Even with all the automated messages in place, we had a ton of guests trying to contact us about their bookings at our cabins in the Smokies. We were without power in a mess here in SC. I already live out in the country so cell service isn't great, but then they lost a number of cell towers and since internet was down just about everywhere, the cell towers were overloaded. We could not respond in a normal time frame that we usually respond in.

    So just wondering if guests were trying to contact hosts to find out if their rental was still available etc.. and not getting responses and guests were getting panicky.  I dunno just a thought. I could see how lots of hosts would not have had the ability to respond in a timely fashion. I have a daughter with some health issues and has a strict diet regime of prepared foods. My focus was on doing everything I could to preserve her food, not on responding to guests for the first couple of day while we were without power. I'm sure others in the affected areas were focused on more serious problems as well.

    Just a thought.


    Interesting.  If that is the reason then shame on them.  Imagine them holding hosts against that policy in the case of a natural disaster?  

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Luckily since I have an integrated account I charge the guests so VRBO cannot refund them :)

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    Luckily since I have an integrated account I charge the guests so VRBO cannot refund them :)

    Good luck with Milton @Andrew Steffens The end of this hurricane season can’t come soon enough!

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    Luckily since I have an integrated account I charge the guests so VRBO cannot refund them :)

    Good luck with Milton @Andrew Steffens The end of this hurricane season can’t come soon enough!


     Thank you too! Looks like its tracking a little south now :/

  • Rental Property Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 131 posts · 135 votes
    1y

    I get being annoyed by the constant adding of rules and regulations from the site, it bothers me as well, but frankly, anyone who wasn't already meeting these guidelines with their messaging shouldn't be hosting anyway. This is probably just their way of creating extra justification for de-platforming. Now they have a concrete rule that allows them to remove your listing if you're a bad host.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    In a properly run platform, VRBO would require hosts to upload this information to the platform, and the guests would access the information directly from the platform, eliminating drama. 

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    When you are in business for yourself, you have a lot of bosses.

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    We don't plan on changing anything, so we'll see if they contact us. Thankfully we don't get to many bookings on VRBO and always respond within 1-3 minutes of the message arriving. 

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    Luckily since I have an integrated account I charge the guests so VRBO cannot refund them :)

    Same here! Some extra steps at launch, are worth the added blessing down the road.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.