Airbnb limitations to cancel appropriately for the hurricane

Airbnb limitations to cancel appropriately for the hurricane

Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes

Not sure if others are experiencing the same issue or if I should have cancelled these reservations differently (would love guidance from others), but I am annoyed with Airbnb right now.  I had two different guests checked in prior to the hurricane Milton mandatory evacuation.  Whether or not it was required, I did tell both guests I would refund them for nights they didn't stay.  They both left on the 7th.  I was a little busy dealing with the hurricane (buttoning up both rental properties as well as my primary home) and evacuated myself on the 8th.  I called AirBNB on the 8th to cancel their reservations due to the hurricane.  The ambassador was clueless but assured me all would be fine.  I told him to cancel as of the 7th but apparently they can't cancel back only day of or future.  Fine, he said he would refund them the extra day separately.

Fast forward, he never did anything.  One of my guests called AirBNB today.  They cancelled the reservation for the 9th (because they can't cancel back).  I look like an A?S?S that didn't want to refund them.  I spoke with AirBNB again to refund him back to the 7th and to also refund the other guest.  Well, they did but they did not reduce my commission to AirBNB.  It's nominal but I'm already taking a bath with the storm and don't know what will come of my two reservations for this weekend or next.  Was there a way to do this myself online which would have worked better?  I wasn't sure if I would get penalized for cancelling online.  It's also disingenuous that they have all these claims of refunds etc. but they keep their fee off an amount that was never paid.

0Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y

I call this AirbnBS. More of the same.  This is why we do not do business with Airbnb.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Wish I could advise @Patricia Andriolo-Bull. I have never had a situation like this before.

    I have had issues with wildfire smoke, but nothing that actually threatens the house that would have guests need to leave early.

    Can you just process the refund yourself? I know that I can go in, in either platform, and refund for days as needed without involving the "customer service" people.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Wish I could advise @Patricia Andriolo-Bull. I have never had a situation like this before.

    I have had issues with wildfire smoke, but nothing that actually threatens the house that would have guests need to leave early.

    Can you just process the refund yourself? I know that I can go in, in either platform, and refund for days as needed without involving the "customer service" people.

    Yes but that’s the issue. They (Airbnb) still take their fee off the full amount even though I would be refunding 6 of 7 days. 
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y
    Yes but that’s the issue. They (Airbnb) still take their fee off the full amount even though I would be refunding 6 of 7 days. 
    Hmm. I maybe have only refunded on VRBO. I don't remember them keeping the booking fees. I believe it was prorated.

    Can you escalate to 2nd level support on AirBNB for assistance?
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    According to Airbnb's Major Disruptive Events Policy, you should be able to cancel without any fees to you or the guest.  From what I hear from every host, if you are cancelling for a good reason, you want to call Airbnb to cancel, do not try to ever cancel yourself online.

    " ... In the rare circumstances that large-scale events prevent or legally prohibit completion of a reservation, the Major Disruptive Events Policy (the “Policy”) may apply. When this Policy applies, guests can cancel their reservation and receive a refund, travel credit, and/or other consideration regardless of the reservation’s cancellation policy, and Hosts can cancel without fees or other adverse consequences, although their listing’s calendar will be blocked for the dates of the canceled reservation...What Events Are Covered...Government travel restrictions. Mandatory travel restrictions imposed by a governmental agency, such as an evacuation order. This does not include non-binding travel advisories and similar government guidance."

    So call them back, read their own policy to them, and they should remove the fee to you.

    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    My STRs are a few counties south of Asheville and lost power for a week. It was pretty easy for me to refund guests once I called in, including fees, but by the time I was making the calls it was clearly a mess. With the app I could only refund from my own payout. 

    Hope that helps! 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Airbnb as usual is doing terrible.  They just let a guest cancel end of month although the property was not significantly affected and will be fine.  Par for the course for them I suppose.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    Airbnb as usual is doing terrible.  They just let a guest cancel end of month although the property was not significantly affected and will be fine.  Par for the course for them I suppose.

    Ugh. That’s awful. 
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    I call this AirbnBS. More of the same.  This is why we do not do business with Airbnb.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    1y

    Update. They called me back after I messaged them and gave me credits for the host fees on both reservations. The woman was very confusing as to how this works so we will see once all credits and debits take place.  They ended up doing a cancellation for some days, a manual credit to the guest then a refund to me. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.