What is your smoking policy for STRs in Cities

What is your smoking policy for STRs in Cities

Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes

Hi, BPers,

I’m curious about how you handle weed smoking in your STRs. It seems like almost every young guest in my units ends up smoking weed inside the house. They’re getting smarter about it too—trying to clean up any residue so there’s no visible evidence, though the smell still lingers.

I currently have a $350 fine for smoking inside, including weed. However, with the frequent incidents and the persistent odor, even after cleaning, I’m beginning to wonder if this has become the norm for STRs in urban areas.

Any advice or tips on how to prevent this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee

0Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Garrett BrownPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2024 · 505 posts · 551 votes
1y

People have definitely gotten smarter with the cleanup and I had the same problem in one of my units. I have a Wynd sensor in my units (mention that we have it and it's 99.9% accurate in our emails), put it in my house rules that it is a $250 fine, and have a sign small above the detector with the same language. I do a lot of direct bookings that take security deposits, but with Airbnb, they are always tough. I have not had an issue until this week on Airbnb and I'm going to use the Wynd data as evidence since there was no physical evidence so we will see. I have an ozone machine on hand, and if there is no same-day check-in, then it's easy to solve usually. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Garrett BrownPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2024 · 505 posts · 551 votes
    1y

    People have definitely gotten smarter with the cleanup and I had the same problem in one of my units. I have a Wynd sensor in my units (mention that we have it and it's 99.9% accurate in our emails), put it in my house rules that it is a $250 fine, and have a sign small above the detector with the same language. I do a lot of direct bookings that take security deposits, but with Airbnb, they are always tough. I have not had an issue until this week on Airbnb and I'm going to use the Wynd data as evidence since there was no physical evidence so we will see. I have an ozone machine on hand, and if there is no same-day check-in, then it's easy to solve usually. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    1y

    -

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Garrett Brown:

    People have definitely gotten smarter with the cleanup and I had the same problem in one of my units. I have a Wynd sensor in my units (mention that we have it and it's 99.9% accurate in our emails), put it in my house rules that it is a $250 fine, and have a sign small above the detector with the same language. I do a lot of direct bookings that take security deposits, but with Airbnb, they are always tough. I have not had an issue until this week on Airbnb and I'm going to use the Wynd data as evidence since there was no physical evidence so we will see. I have an ozone machine on hand, and if there is no same-day check-in, then it's easy to solve usually. 


    Do guests ever remove or unplug the Dynd sensor to avoid a fine? I used to have a Minute sensor (for noise monitoring) in a unit located in a rough part of town, and guests would simply take it down.
  • Garrett BrownPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2024 · 505 posts · 551 votes
    1y

    I have not had that issue. I would imagine putting language in the rules about tampering or removal is a fine similar to how hotels do. But, then you get the joy of proving that the guest did that in a tampering way and not "accidentally". Is it possible to hide it some or out of reach? You can still make it known that it's in there.

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Garrett Brown:

    I have not had that issue. I would imagine putting language in the rules about tampering or removal is a fine similar to how hotels do. But, then you get the joy of proving that the guest did that in a tampering way and not "accidentally". Is it possible to hide it some or out of reach? You can still make it known that it's in there.


    I just checked Amazon but couldn’t find it. I wanted to look at the reviews to see if it’s worth trying. Another question: Have you noticed any change in income for the property since the policy was implemented? If this is becoming common in certain areas, do you think it might deter a significant percentage of potential guests?

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    1y

    My STR is in a city where it is legal in private but not in public. My STR has a private backyard so I am able to treat it the same as cigarettes - outside only

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 67 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Carolyn Fuller:

    My STR is in a city where it is legal in private but not in public. My STR has a private backyard so I am able to treat it the same as cigarettes - outside only

    Carolyn,


    All these properties have backyards, so I'm puzzled as to why weed smoking has become so popular, and why guests don't even bother to go outside to smoke. I'm just trying to get a sense of how common this issue has become and how other STR hosts in urban areas are handling it.



  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Leon Lee:

    All these properties have backyards, so I’m puzzled as to why weed smoking has become so popular, and why guests don’t even bother to go outside to smoke. 



    We're dealing with stoners here....
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    Smoking is not permitted inside.

    Remediation would fall under damage.

    We have never had to deal with this.

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    1y

    I suspect that the differences have to do with time of year and/or weather it is legal in the STR city.

    My STR is MTR during the academic year which it is easy to smoke outside in the yard during STR season.

    Regardless of why, it hasn’t been an issue for me 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    We have a pretty rural place and Idaho has some of the most strict laws around marijuana use so that hasn't been an issue for us.

    Smoking in general has been a problem a couple of times. We don't allow any smoking anywhere on the property. Summer is dry here and fires are a real concern so I say nope.

    We have a $500 security deposit and it is clear that I will keep it if you smoke anywhere on the property. I have done it twice.

    I tell folks just go for a walk on the road or bike trail along the lake and don't toss the butts.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    On 65 units with +/- 4 rentals per month on each average 260 rentals we may have it 1-3x per month.  It is definitely more on the urban units and less on beach / family units.  As mentioned above there are sensors that can help, and strong verbiage in a rental agreement should help mitigate it, though not 100%.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.