We are about to start building our first short term rental property. I am looking for a CPA to give guidance on the most effective way to go about the process and work with going forward. Our plan is to start with this property then potentially build another. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We are about to start building our first short term rental property. I am looking for a CPA to give guidance on the most effective way to go about the process and work with going forward. Our plan is to start with this property then potentially build another. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hey @Ross Derouen, welcome to the BP Forum! Especially since you're in TX, I'd recommend @Joshua Thompson. He's in Dallas and is a very CRE-focused CPA.
We are about to start building our first short term rental property. I am looking for a CPA to give guidance on the most effective way to go about the process and work with going forward. Our plan is to start with this property then potentially build another. Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hey @Ross Derouen, welcome to the BP Forum! Especially since you're in TX, I'd recommend @Joshua Thompson. He's in Dallas and is a very CRE-focused CPA.
Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Ross - there’s lots of great CPAs on here that can help. You’ll want to make sure your cpa is well versed in short term rentals.
Biggest things you’ll want your cpa to guide you through;
Material participation- there’s three tests; 500 hours; 100 hours and more than anyone else’s time, and substantially all the activity. You’ll want your cpa to help determine which hours count and which hours don’t count.
Average stay - you’ll want to see how long the average stay is. It needs to be less than 7 days.
Personal use - if you or your family used the property for personal purposes, you will need this to factored in.
Bigger Pockets is a great place to find an accountant specializing in real estate taxation.
A good real estate accountant can save you thousands of dollars by leveraging entity selection and formation, tax deductions, cost segregations, bonus depreciation and tax planning.
I recommend finding an accountant specializing in real estate taxation, business taxation, financial planning and tax planning.
Consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.
I would also recommend looking for an accountant willing to work with you throughout the year. You want an accountant who can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the consequences of the financial decisions you are making throughout the year.