Managing Short-Term Rental

Managing Short-Term Rental

Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2024 · 37 posts · 25 votes

I am about to close on a property that I will use as a STR. The property has a main house and a DADU, so I will have it listed as two separate units. I have a cleaner lined up, but I am wondering should I just manually track check-in/check-out and let her know dates ahead of time, or is there a software that can control this that doesn't break the bank with it being my first STR? Also, I would like to list on Airbnb, VRBO, and possibly other sites as well. How can I ensure no double bookings take place with it listed across multiple sites? I'm all for automation, but ideally would like to not spend a ton of money on a management software until it gets up and running and income producing. Thanks in advance!

2Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
1y

You can also sync with a shared Google calendar for the cleaners. This is free.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Look into VacationRentalDesk.com.  

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 641 votes
    1y

    Airbnb and VRBO will sync calendars without any extra software or costs. And i would just manually track reservations and send monthly emails to your cleaners for now with only 1 property.

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Congrats on the closing!! That's awesome.

    Airbnb and VRBO allow you to sync calendars to avoid double booking.

    You're right to self-manage to start. I advise my Colorado STR investors to self-manage because:

    A) it's not that hard anymore (for one or two properties); and

    B) with prices and rates where they're at, you need to save that 20-30%.

    Turno is an app that can sync cleaners to your calendar to better automate your cleaning, but I'd probably just create a good communication line with your cleaner and give her access to a google sheet or something where you update the cleanings and then message her whenever there's anything new as well.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    You can also sync with a shared Google calendar for the cleaners. This is free.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    1y

    Congrats!  What others have said - easy to sync calendars between platforms (including others like BDC, Houfy, etc. if so interested).  I wouldn't bother with Turno or anything that charges for cleaning sync.  I use a google sheets and it works well.  One thing to add, I would also create a 3rd listing with the two properties combined so people can rent them together.  Easy to do and you are able to sync as a child/parent relationship in Airbnb.  

    • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2024 · 37 posts · 25 votes
      1y

      @Patricia Andriolo-Bull hadn't thought about that but that's a good idea! Is it easy to sync it as a child/parent relationship like you described?

    • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Self:

      @Patricia Andriolo-Bull hadn't thought about that but that's a good idea! Is it easy to sync it as a child/parent relationship like you described?

      Yes. I used to do it and it was very easy. 
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    +1 for all the comments above, until you have maybe 5+ I do not think you need to pay for any types of software.  You can manage everything yourself with spreadsheets and free apps.  IMHO the toughest part for self-managers will be pricing, I would recommend not just using the smart pricing associated with the OTA rather doing your own comp set and market pricing and you will be making adjustments near daily.  You can pay for pricing software but I would still recommend tweaking it at minimum weekly.  Otherwise you will under-rent or leave money on the table.  Good luck!

    • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2024 · 37 posts · 25 votes
      1y

      @Andrew Steffens so you are or are not recommending using a dynamic pricing tool? I feel if I was manually tracking this weekly that would end up being very time-consuming. If you are recommending using one, what options would you suggest? Ideally we're looking to be on the cheaper end for what we offer to maintain higher occupancy rates overall. Thanks for the input!

    • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 641 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Self:

      @Andrew Steffens so you are or are not recommending using a dynamic pricing tool? I feel if I was manually tracking this weekly that would end up being very time-consuming. If you are recommending using one, what options would you suggest? Ideally we're looking to be on the cheaper end for what we offer to maintain higher occupancy rates overall. Thanks for the input!

      I personally would recommend Pricelabs. It will make its money back easily enough, and the extra control it gives you over bookings is great. 
    • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Self:

      @Andrew Steffens so you are or are not recommending using a dynamic pricing tool? I feel if I was manually tracking this weekly that would end up being very time-consuming. If you are recommending using one, what options would you suggest? Ideally we're looking to be on the cheaper end for what we offer to maintain higher occupancy rates overall. Thanks for the input!

      You can definitely use the OTA pricing tools. I liked VRBOs. I think what we are all trying to say is that whether or not you use the OTA pricing tools or something like Price Labs, it is NOT set it and forget it. You will (should) go in at least weekly to adjust pricing. You should also look up similar properties manually to see if you are priced right. This is the part of STR that does take quite a bit of time. Also, the online thing that syncs is your calendar. You will need to go into each OTA to update listing details, photos and rates when you make changes. 

      I now use Price Labs. It took me a long time (5 years) to start using pricing software. Mostly because I felt it always underpriced my properties compared to how I price them. With a lot of upfront work to get the algorithm right, and again, weekly tweaks, I’m in a good spot. I do like that it pushes the prices to all of my OTAs and direct booking site so it’s one and done for me. 
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Andrew Self, so I think he means not to use the built in pricing but maybe something like Pricelabs.

    You can easily manage a single STR with just the built in tools. You can do it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.