Charging extra for "events" or "gatherings" above the guest amount

Charging extra for "events" or "gatherings" above the guest amount

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 19 votes

Hi everyone, 

I’m fairly new to hosting on Airbnb, especially when it comes to managing a larger property that accommodates big groups. I have a 6 bed / 6 bath Airbnb that’s been attracting group bookings, which is great, but I’m running into a recurring situation I’d love some advice on.

Often, guests book for the maximum overnight capacity (around 16), but then ask if they can have many more people visit during the day. For example, one group booked for Christmas and now wants to host 30–35 people at the house for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, even though only 16 are staying overnight. I'm no scrooge but that's more than double the people and really extending its max use. I’ve also had similar requests for birthdays and other gatherings, where the number of daytime visitors far exceeds the overnight guests.

I understand this can create extra wear and tear, as well as a bigger mess to clean. My current thought is to charge an additional “deep cleaning” fee, but I’m unsure if that’s the best approach. Do other hosts here charge extra just for cleaning, or do you also adjust the nightly rate to account for the higher usage on those event days?

Any tips or strategies you’ve found helpful would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sunny

0Reply
254 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 172 votes
1y

It will be interesting to hear what others have to say, but I do not allow for any events that push beyond the nightly limit of guests. 

My homes are in residential neighborhoods and having 30 people show up is not going to go over well with the neighborhood. Even if it is for a 1 year old birthday party. All the cars and people walking around the house will draw unwelcome attention. 

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 172 votes
    1y

    It will be interesting to hear what others have to say, but I do not allow for any events that push beyond the nightly limit of guests. 

    My homes are in residential neighborhoods and having 30 people show up is not going to go over well with the neighborhood. Even if it is for a 1 year old birthday party. All the cars and people walking around the house will draw unwelcome attention. 

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I'd allow "events" with extra charges.
    Event Fee: $250-300.
    And a separate, Damage Deposit ($500?) collected in advance, refundable after cleaning and inspection.
    You're not running a charity here.  This is a business.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2023 · 85 posts · 93 votes
    1y

    Do you do a seperate rental agreement?  I would worry that your insurance wouldn't cover in the event something happen if there were 35 people at the house.  At any property, I have rules about "day time guests"   - they can only have half again as many "day guests" and they can only stay for part of the day (ie, 10 is max overnight occupancy, 15 is max total including day guests).   If there is a parking limit, they can't exceed it regardless (not every property has that, but some do).  More people than that is an event and -- if events are authorized, there is a seperate rental agreement and fee plus damage insurance (or straight up insurnace, depending on your insurer).  Its very individual to the property, but the biggest concern is with your insurer.  

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    I have a 6 BR Vrbo that sleeps 23.

    You can set your extra person fee above a certain number.

    We charge an extra $1,000 for weddings.

    If people just come over to visit we don't charge extra for that.

    • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2021 · 289 posts · 256 votes
      1y
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I have a 6 BR Vrbo that sleeps 23.

      You can set your extra person fee above a certain number.

      We charge an extra $1,000 for weddings.

      If people just come over to visit we don't charge extra for that.

      Do you have a queen and bunk beds in every bedroom? Just curious how you get capacity of  23 with 6 bedrooms?
    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Mike Kirby:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I have a 6 BR Vrbo that sleeps 23.

      You can set your extra person fee above a certain number.

      We charge an extra $1,000 for weddings.

      If people just come over to visit we don't charge extra for that.

      Do you have a queen and bunk beds in every bedroom? Just curious how you get capacity of  23 with 6 bedrooms?

       We have King beds in 5 bedrooms. 

      We have 2 sets of bunk beds in 6th bedroom.

      We have 3 Queen sleeper sofas. I twin sleeper.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Most of our homes are in residential neighborhoods and we wouldn't want to encroach on the neighbors enjoyment of their own homes so we do not usually allow this. If the house was in a rural area where it could be theoretically possible I would definitely charge an extra fee to cover additional wear and tear, utilities, etc.

  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
    1y

    This is my first year running an STR, and I ran into this problem a few times over the summer. We are located in a residential area near the beach in North San Diego County. Our max occupancy is 6, and what started to happen was one family would rent our place, a few other families would (I assume?) rent hotels, and then they would use our place as the big home base for BBQs, etc. The first time it happened, my neighbor gave me the heads up. I checked our ring cam and sure enough saw probably 20+ people entering the house! Maybe I'm a scrooge (ha!) but, our house was built in the early 40s, and I'm not really interested in all of the extra wear and tear (especially on the plumbing!) Also, I'm friends with all of our neighbors, and I don't think it's fair to them. To address it, I updated our listing to make it very clear that outside guests are not allowed. It seemed to only be a problem during the summer, so for summer bookings, I also include this in my message to guests after booking: "As a reminder: in accordance with our insurance policy, city permit, and commitment to being respectful neighbors, only guests listed on the reservation are allowed on the property. We unfortunately aren't able to accommodate any extra visitors or get-togethers. If that doesn't work with your plans, I totally understand and you're able to cancel the reservation penalty free within the next 24hours."

  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 921 posts · 266 votes
    1y

    @Ian Tyndall have you never had a family gathering, anniversary, birthday party, baby shower in the neighborhood. I m sure there are plenty of parties where more than 16 people attend. 
    Bah hum bug!

    • Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 173 posts · 172 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Todd Goedeke:

      @Ian Tyndall have you never had a family gathering, anniversary, birthday party, baby shower in the neighborhood. I m sure there are plenty of parties where more than 16 people attend. 
      Bah hum bug!

      Sure, but not every weekend. We will come over to your house!
      😀
    • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2023 · 85 posts · 93 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Todd Goedeke:

      @Ian Tyndall have you never had a family gathering, anniversary, birthday party, baby shower in the neighborhood. I m sure there are plenty of parties where more than 16 people attend. 
      Bah hum bug!


      Having sat through too many townhall meetings on STR to count, most neighbors are good if the neighbor has the "occasional" party (I recall one gentleman saying "a couple a summer, sure) - but STR, unchecked, is in some areas a party every weekend. While noise ordinances theoritically could deal with this if a place is close to the neighbors its probably far better to keep some parameters. I also do not subscribe to the absolute "no visitors" policy - but I have seen it where the locality implemented strict "no visitor" policies and make you adhere to your max occupancy.

  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 921 posts · 266 votes
    1y

    @Andrew Steffenswhat extra wear and tear is there from having extra guests sit on a chair or a couch. Regarding utilities , do you think people are showing up to take showers! The same amount of electricity and heat is used whether there is 6 people or 16 people in the house.

    It’s not the guest’s fault you are carrying on a business in a residential neighborhood.

    • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
      Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Todd Goedeke:

      @Andrew Steffenswhat extra wear and tear is there from having extra guests sit on a chair or a couch. Regarding utilities , do you think people are showing up to take showers! The same amount of electricity and heat is used whether there is 6 people or 16 people in the house.

      It’s not the guest’s fault you are carrying on a business in a residential neighborhood.


      You do not think there is any additional wear and tear in a house or utility usage if there are 60 people instead of 16?!

  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 921 posts · 266 votes
    1y

    @Ian Tyndall you should have thought of that when you decided to run a hospitality business in a residential neighborhood.

    Many people buy or build short term vacation rentals in vacation areas not residential neighborhoods.

  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 921 posts · 266 votes
    1y

    @Kate Stoermeravoid run ins by not buying or building a hospitality business in a residential neighborhood. Vacation rentals should be placed in neighborhoods for hospitality business.

    If I have a pool party I should not be told by a bunch of Karens that I can t have one at 6 pm at night.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    More people = more breakage.  More clogged potties, broken lamps, and probably more pets.

    When you consider how dumb the average person is, and then consider that half are dumber than that, then 60 in your house doesn't put the odds in your favor.  

  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 921 posts · 266 votes
    1y

    @Andrew Steffens tell us where the increased utilities are from a party for 3 hours? Electricity, or heat ,no.

    • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
      Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Todd Goedeke:

      @Andrew Steffens tell us where the increased utilities are from a party for 3 hours? Electricity, or heat ,no.

      If you do not think having 60 people in a house likely consuming alcohol is neither a concern, contributes to more added utility cost and wear and tear I do not know what to tell you, agree to disagree I guess.



  • Property Manager · Richmond, VA · Member since 2025 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    I think it boils down to your comfort level, and your surroundings. Some hosts are fine with this, but do charge extra fees, which I think is wise. Some keep it strictly to the numbers. As others have said I believe, it's a good reminder to factor in the neighborhood, if it's in one. (If it's isolated I'd be much more comfortable allowing extras!) If it's surrounded by other homes it might tick off the neighbors, and lead to issues for your STR down the road. Homes as large as yours are sure to draw a bigger crowd, which can be a great problem to have if you frame it right and make sure you and your investment are protected! More people more money is typically my viewpoint, as long as they keep it courteous.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    That is an awful lot of people @Sunny Malik.

    Personally I wouldn't allow it. That is just too many people IMHO.

    We don't charge extra for a couple extra people or for visitors that show up for the day.

    Within reason. Most times it is a couple (grandparents) and the like.

  • Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 146 posts · 72 votes
    1y

    Hi Sunny. That’s a tough situation. Large homes tend to attract event requests. Most hosts either ban extra guests altogether or allow them with an event fee + deposit/insurance. Clear rules upfront keep people from treating your place like a party venue at regular rates. But I would be careful, especially if you are in a residential neighborhood or your city has limits on allowed cars per home.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.