Things are awfully quiet around here

Things are awfully quiet around here

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I've been on this BP forum for several years, and I don't recall it being so quiet. Normally, this is the time of year when prospective new investors are in acquisition mode and asking all of the preliminary questions.  Not so far!

When apathy sets in, that often triggers the "buy" signal.

6Reply
768 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11mo

It's been busy locally here, seems to be heating up before Winter hits. Forums are quieter, less questions, etc. More AI posts lol

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    Off beach season here so not as much going. My current guest is out 10/31. A nearby property that needs full rehab has caught my eye with ok numbers but not spectacular. Spouse keeps saying that just because I can doesn't mean I should lol. Trying to wind down and enjoy true passive investing aka total stock market index funds. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    It's been busy locally here, seems to be heating up before Winter hits. Forums are quieter, less questions, etc. More AI posts lol

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    11mo

    I've been on a long hiatus from BP. Our smokey's cabin has been getting great activity this fall, even into Nov and Dec. We adjusted our pricing due to airbnb's new policy of hiding their 15% fee and noticed an uptick in bookings immediately after that. Go figure. 

    St. Augustine is busy too. 

    Having downsized our portfolio while keeping the winners has been a great choice. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11mo

    I am in Pigeon Forge at our cabin right now.

    Lots of people here even on weekdays.

    We just got 3 bookings in last 2 days. One for next weekend and 2 for this coming Summer.

    December was completely booked months ago.

    Vrbo keeps our Lake house full. I never have to worry about it.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11mo

    Hey @Collin Hays, I was thinking of posting the same thing!

    I have seen the same downturn in new posts looking for info and ideas.

    I think we have seen an uptick in the number of advertising type posts as well.

    I have had a few people mention that they think BP is on the downturn as a forum. I am not going to agree with that, but there has definitely been fewer posts. 

    • Collin HaysBusiness Member
      OP
      Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      Hey @Collin Hays, I was thinking of posting the same thing!

      I have seen the same downturn in new posts looking for info and ideas.

      I think we have seen an uptick in the number of advertising type posts as well.

      I have had a few people mention that they think BP is on the downturn as a forum. I am not going to agree with that, but there has definitely been fewer posts. 


      Certainly, this investment class has gone back to a normal shine.  For a time, it was a bit silly.  For many investors, there is still definitely a place in the portfolio for short term rentals, no question.  

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      Hey @Collin Hays, I was thinking of posting the same thing!

      I have seen the same downturn in new posts looking for info and ideas.

      I think we have seen an uptick in the number of advertising type posts as well.

      I have had a few people mention that they think BP is on the downturn as a forum. I am not going to agree with that, but there has definitely been fewer posts. 


      Maybe the bandwagon jumpers over past 5 years who thought RE was an easy ticket to get rich quick have learned otherwise and moved on? 

    • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Jules Aton:
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      Hey @Collin Hays, I was thinking of posting the same thing!

      I have seen the same downturn in new posts looking for info and ideas.

      I think we have seen an uptick in the number of advertising type posts as well.

      I have had a few people mention that they think BP is on the downturn as a forum. I am not going to agree with that, but there has definitely been fewer posts. 


      Maybe the bandwagon jumpers over past 5 years who thought RE was an easy ticket to get rich quick have learned otherwise and moved on? 


       I think that has weeded out many investors and anyone who got into the real estate space

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:


      I have had a few people mention that they think BP is on the downturn as a forum. I am not going to agree with that, but there has definitely been fewer posts. 

      Internet forums in general are in a downturn. One I've been lurking/posting in for decades that was tied to the print publication for that sector just closed shop. Had a steady following and probably generated some ad revenue, but not enough to justify the server rent. Heard the same thing from those regulars from other forums they frequent. 

      "Dead Internet Theory" is the idea that we are transitioning to less and less human interaction online and mostly bots and AI generated content. Some of the comments above hint to that. That said I only frequent the STR subforum so I don't have a grasp on the entire forum as a whole.

      On a side note, and it pains me to say this because I think the hosts and producers are good people who provide valuable content, the podcast has gone downhill since David and Rob were pushed out. The OG BP sounds more like On the Market and lacks the stories and back and forth that having 2 experienced hosts with different strategies provided. 



  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11mo

    The forums have been quiet for two years.

    I was in Pigeon Forge this past weekend for my son's baseball tournament.  Some of our team members said that Dollywood was so crowded that they were only able to ride one ride.  The congestion on I40 in the construction area was bad (not a good experience).  Maybe a lot of people on Fall break.

    The boys had fun on the mountain coaster, snow tubing, NASCAR, mini golf, and Ripken was amazing.

    • Investor · Gatlinburg Pigeon Forge Pittman Center Sevierville Wear Valley Townsend · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 2 votes
      11mo

      @Mike Dymski I live here, it's quite the challenge with all the traffic in October! 

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Mike Dymski:

      The forums have been quiet for two years.

      I was in Pigeon Forge this past weekend for my son's baseball tournament.  Some of our team members said that Dollywood was so crowded that they were only able to ride one ride.  The congestion on I40 in the construction area was bad (not a good experience).  Maybe a lot of people on Fall break.

      The boys had fun on the mountain coaster, snow tubing, NASCAR, mini golf, and Ripken was amazing.


       I was there too. I had to wait an hour to get into the Old Mill Restuarant. People were at all the tourist trap places.

      Lots of people this weekend!

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
    11mo

    I believe it is due to the funnel to the BP forums, the BP podcast, has dropped in quality leading less people to the forums.  I use to binge and catch-up on16 hrs of BP podcasts on my drive to and from the Smokys every couple months. Unfortunately now it literally puts me to sleep (bad for driving) and lacks the enthusiasm seen in the past.  I have moved on to more mentally engaging podcasts for my drive.  I use to recommend people wanting to get into real estate investing to go binge on the BP podcast, but I can't recommend it anymore.  I have talked to other longtime listeners who have the same opinion.  So the top of the funnel that feeds the forums is broken, so less newbies needing advice.

    Second, STR owners can get quicker more market specific advice in market specific owners Facebook groups.

    Third, I noticed a post about a month ago where all of the sudden had about a dozen people replying who normally do not post/reply.  It shows me alot of lurkers (readers/not posters) are on the forums.

    • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      I believe it is due to the funnel to the BP forums, the BP podcast, has dropped in quality leading less people to the forums.  I use to binge and catch-up on16 hrs of BP podcasts on my drive to and from the Smokys every couple months. Unfortunately now it literally puts me to sleep (bad for driving) and lacks the enthusiasm seen in the past.  I have moved on to more mentally engaging podcasts for my drive.  I use to recommend people wanting to get into real estate investing to go binge on the BP podcast, but I can't recommend it anymore.  I have talked to other longtime listeners who have the same opinion.  So the top of the funnel that feeds the forums is broken, so less newbies needing advice.

      Second, STR owners can get quicker more market specific advice in market specific owners Facebook groups.

      Third, I noticed a post about a month ago where all of the sudden had about a dozen people replying who normally do not post/reply.  It shows me alot of lurkers (readers/not posters) are on the forums.


       I agree on that. I used to look forward to the podcasts but haven't checked on them in awhile. Maybe it's personal shift or the repetition of content in the podcasts. 

    • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Caleb Brown:

      Agreed. And In fairness, any podcast that focuses on a specific topic will get repetitive after a while because the advice that works for most endeavors tends to boil down to a small handful of fundamental rules that when followed consistently drive 80-95% of the results. 

      The only way to overcome that repetition is when you have hosts and guests who bounce ideas off of each other, which is what Brandon, David and Rob were amazing at, especially because they all had their own niche that they excelled at. 

      Now there is so much overlap between the 3 REI podcasts that it is no longer clear what the focus is for each.

    • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      I believe it is due to the funnel to the BP forums, the BP podcast, has dropped in quality leading less people to the forums.  I use to binge and catch-up on16 hrs of BP podcasts on my drive to and from the Smokys every couple months. Unfortunately now it literally puts me to sleep (bad for driving) and lacks the enthusiasm seen in the past.  I have moved on to more mentally engaging podcasts for my drive.  I use to recommend people wanting to get into real estate investing to go binge on the BP podcast, but I can't recommend it anymore.  I have talked to other longtime listeners who have the same opinion.  So the top of the funnel that feeds the forums is broken, so less newbies needing advice.

      Second, STR owners can get quicker more market specific advice in market specific owners Facebook groups.

      Third, I noticed a post about a month ago where all of the sudden had about a dozen people replying who normally do not post/reply.  It shows me alot of lurkers (readers/not posters) are on the forums.


      "Second, STR owners can get quicker more market specific advice in market specific owners Facebook groups."
      Bingo!
      I used to be on the TripAdvisor forum for a few beach areas, and it was always lively.  But over the past few years ago, it became a ghost town because people moved to FB. Same thing is happening here.  This forum format is not as fluid and immediate as FB, and here there are not the number of members that a FB group would have.  I still come here, but I belong to over a dozen groups on FB to do with STRs, both nationwide and local to my area. 
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    While I am not a STR host (I came here from keyword alert), I have found the forums overall are dying. I can't speak to the podcast, as I was never an avid listener.

    I think the biggest reason they feel quiet is because the long time users got fed up with all the repetitiveness that came in the 2021-2023 boom from all the newbies thinking they would print money in real estate, combined with very few people viewing real estate as a way to print money anymore.  

    Whether we are talking STRs, BRRRRs, flips, syndications, etc the broader desire to be "in real estate" has waned across the board.  Now, it is just another asset class that can provide safety and steady returns over time, when done right.  And unfortunately, that is about as fun as talking about investing in mutual funds or index funds to most people.  

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11mo

    Agree. The forums are hard to monetize for BP, the death of the internet is not helping. Why do you want to ask a seasoned investor, if you can just ask ChatGPT... (and probably get a better answer, assuming you know how to write a good prompt) AT least, that's what I do..

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    It's unsurprising to me the forums are quieter these days. I don't have any data to back that up, but it seems like common sense the forum traffic peaked sometime in 2020-2022 and then dwindled from there. 

    With the changes in the real estate market within the past 2-3 years, I have to imagine the interest in real estate investing has declined. I'm sure that translates to fewer people listening to real estate podcasts, buying books/courses, and attending real estate events.

    The real estate market is cyclical so that seems normal to me. The ebb and flow of the market.

  • Member since 2021 · 167 posts · 141 votes
    11mo

    The podcast used to spark ideas that drove people to the forums to take action. Now that it’s become more self-promotional and personality-focused, you can see why the forums are quieter.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    Here in the Tampa area the investor market has been on fire due to the accelerated depreciation, but as its nearly too late to get it this year its starting to wane.  Retail buyers which are primarily families have been quiet since back to school, which is "normal".  the rental market here is slow this time of year, which is normal.  All in all things feel fairly normal, but things nowadays can change in an instant based on news.

  • Member since 2025 · 72 posts · 45 votes
    11mo

    @Collin Hays collaboration used to happen and then they moderated too much to where people couldn't post much or really network. Now its relaxed a bit but everyone got fed up with the moderation or the swarm of people using AI for everything (still see certain people in cough cough* tampa forums doing it consistently). To be fair entrepreneur and real estate meetups also seem to have gone down alot as well.... 

  • Member since 2025 · 72 posts · 45 votes
    11mo

    @Jeff Langley Very valid point lol, and "pay to play" aspects always take a hit much like the meetup app did 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I've been on this BP forum for several years, and I don't recall it being so quiet. Normally, this is the time of year when prospective new investors are in acquisition mode and asking all of the preliminary questions.  Not so far!

    When apathy sets in, that often triggers the "buy" signal.

    I’ve been getting on the forms a lot less.

    I can’t speak for everyone, but for me, the juice just stopped being worth the squeeze to the most part.

    It’s mainly dominated by newbies,  venders , imposters , and a few exceptionally strong personalities that can get mighty aggressive if you don’t agree with them. 
    if a person comes on here and ask a question  instead of it being answered if there’s people that don’t like the particular technique then all they want to do is attack others that’s kind of gotten old.
     I mean, even the guys that whimper and whine about being attacked they will attack others given the opportunity so it just has turned exceptionally into a circus. You got half a dozen people that think their experts on everything and anything they don’t like they wanna call it criminal And they wouldn’t pass the bar to save their life.

    I guess if I was drumming for business, I’d be on here more. 🧐

    The idea that Bigger Pockets is being run by tech people (at least that’s what is being circulated), instead of actual real estate investors was disappointing as well….

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    11mo

    I'm brand new to BP and now I'm wondering if the yearly subscription was worth it! I specialize in STR design and I thought it would be helpful to hear what real investors are considering or concerned about. Most of my business relationships have been via instagram and I've just gotten fatigued with the bragging and get rich quick advice on there. At least in the design world, it feels like everyone is offering the same cookie-cutter advice for strategy and approach. At the same time, I've had a major increase in inquiries the past month or so and almost everyone is brand new to the STR world. Seems like real voices in a forum like this would be so valuable!

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    11mo

    @Joe S. Your reply spoke to me the most. I took a hit to bookings over the summer (and even this Fall) and actually thought this would happen back in April. It is very hard for me to really understand the direction of the STR market in the smaller CO mountains (not major ski resorts). Because of my concerns in April, I took a month to build a direct booking site, did the usual deep-cleans before the summer crowd, got another set of pro photos (to capture the summer season and new improvements), and ran/revised/adjusted the pricing software. I'm always amazed (and appreciative) of the regular voices on this forum (even if it's quieter) because I can't keep up between my research elsewhere and other responsibilities. Being able to search old posts for answers when I was first starting or encountering issues/conflicts- has always been really valuable. And no one understands in the same way as the people here. But I got slightly turned off when a few would speak up and say "my bookings are definitely affected..." and things became slightly political and the message I'd see was- "I'm not being affected at all... I'm completely booked blah blah blah..." which hey, great for them. But just not my reality. And not only not my reality, the local news and the industry news have covered the actual decline in dollars for travel to not just Colorado but the CO mountains specifically. (Also, I was sick for almost a month and I assume that happens for a lot of folk here- life happens...)

    Strangely, despite the hit to bookings (visible for my competitors as well), looks like our year in total is slightly up (due to increased prices). But I agree that I'm starting to think the juice ain't worth the squeeze. And given what the main platforms are doing (both Airbnb and VRBO), they're squeezing all that they can out of hosts (although the guests don't see that).

    • Lender · Arvada, CO · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
      11mo

      @Christina B. - I love your comment. I agree that I find it difficult to navigate through those saying how bad it is vs. those saying how good it is. I love the advice to do some deep cleaning and getting another set of pro photos! We recently have had some complaints of furniture having some wear and tear on them which has been a reality check that we need to go tidy things up at a couple of homes. 

      How is your direct booking site going? I have played with that idea, but am hesitant because I know that as a consumer, I haven't transitioned off of the STR platforms yet..

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    11mo

    I do believe the post Pandemic boom of new investor interest has returned to normal levels as of late. 

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2023 · 174 posts · 96 votes
    11mo

    @Laurel DeSilvey To be honest, it's played out the way some here (looking at you @James Carlson) thought it would. Not a lot in the 6 months it's been live. However, it was always intended as providing an option to repeat guests (since they're familiar with both the property and myself as host). Thus, I'm not running AdWords campaigns, etc. although a recent booking proved to me that guests who have stayed with us before- can find our direct booking site if they search for us. (This guest was before I created the direct booking site so the link wasn't available on our guidebook at the time.)

    I "get" that building trust (direct booking) can take time. But ultimately, the combination of saving hundreds, experience dealing directly with me as host, same cancellation policies, and being able to pay via credit card, etc. work. Also, most of us really want out of reliance on Airbnb/VRBO and how they manage/treat hosts so working slowly toward that. (That's satisfying.)

    Cost for owning and maintaining the site for an entire year are (for us) less than the cost of a single booking so as far as I'm concerned, the experiment has already paid itself off+.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.