Feeling Frustrated with our STR

Feeling Frustrated with our STR

Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes

In January of this year I started renting our primary residence full time on Airbnb and VRBO (we moved to a rental one town over so our boys could be closer to friends/school).

The house is a 3/2 in North County San Diego, walking distance to the beach and restaurants. I self manage and have learned a lot throughout the year. At first I was pretty picky about bookings but I've learned to be much more flexible in this department.

Airdna estimated our STR could bring in ~120k per year. I estimate if we were to transition to a LTR we would bring in ~$56.5k annually. So far, our STR has grossed $46k.

We have professional photos, dynamic pricing, an optimized listing, I have 32 reviews (all 5 stars), I'm in the top 5% of homes according to Airbnb, etc. etc. However, I feel like I am just bleeding money. The costs of getting the STR up and running has felt relentless. September and October are the absolute best months (weather wise) in San Diego and our occupancy is 12%. I feel like I am doing everything right, but I am clearly doing something wrong! I guess this is just a vent post but man I am feeling so frustrated!

2Reply
2,020 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11mo

@Ashley Bitner

Charming place. I work with STR investors in Colorado, so I'm not in your market. Take with a grain of salt.

A few thoughts:

-- First and easiest change? Tweak the headline. "Walk everywhere" is too generic. Be specific. "4 Blocks to Beach," or whatever. 

-- Throw in some nice photos of the beach and restaurants nearby. 

-- Do you have a drone shot at all? If you're walking distance to the beach, having one of your first few photos be a drone shot of the ocean with an arrow pointing out your spot would be helpful.

-- Again, I'm not in your market, but we have some nice Airbnb markets here in Colorado and $120k gross is a pretty good revenue for most areas. Might be a high expectation. Also, if you're really close to the beach, I bet AirDNA's projection are skewed by oceanfront properties near you. Revenues are likely waay higher for those properties and are pulling up your estimate.

-- Do you have a full AirDNA subscription? Search San Diego, then click on "submarkets" and find yours. Under the dropdown for "listings" change the criteria to close to yours (say 3-4br, 2-3ba, etc. but don't go super super specific). It should show you the top-performing listings in your area. What are they doing?

-- Your place looks nice. You've photographed it well. I'd totally stay there. That said, the STR market is so saturated now that a "nice" place doesn't really perform that well. Design matters a lot from what I see in Colorado. A crazy wall of wallpaper. Big-bold art. A massive TV (like 65" minimum.) A cohesive collection of furnishings.

Don't give up. You've got a great set of reviews. I'd do a few tweaks and see what happens. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

85 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2024 · 28 posts · 13 votes
    11mo

    A few thoughts:

    1. I’d definitely recommend adding a drone or map shot that highlights your proximity to the beach and nearby attractions — it helps guests visualize the location instantly. Put it in the first 5 photos!

    2. Simplify your listing description by shortening it and focusing on the location and amenities that set you apart. Digestible bites for people skimming details. 

    3. It often takes time to reach peak revenue performance, but you’re in a great position with a strong base of 5-star reviews. My guess is that AirDNA’s revenue projections include several beachfront properties in your comp set, which would explain the high numbers. For context, $90K would be considered an exceptional return in our Colorado market.

    • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Mark Driskell:

      A few thoughts:

      1. I’d definitely recommend adding a drone or map shot that highlights your proximity to the beach and nearby attractions — it helps guests visualize the location instantly. Put it in the first 5 photos!

      2. Simplify your listing description by shortening it and focusing on the location and amenities that set you apart. Digestible bites for people skimming details. 

      3. It often takes time to reach peak revenue performance, but you’re in a great position with a strong base of 5-star reviews. My guess is that AirDNA’s revenue projections include several beachfront properties in your comp set, which would explain the high numbers. For context, $90K would be considered an exceptional return in our Colorado market.


       Thanks for the feedback! I think you're right about the Airdna comp set - I need to get an account and dig deeper into that (I would be stoked with 90k return!) 

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    11mo

    Your property looks excellent. I would wager one issue is that 3BD 2BA's are highly saturated in nearly every market, even given that you're in the top 5% of listings. 

    I'm curious about a few things regarding your pricing. I know you use dynamic pricing, but what are your minimum stay settings? Do you allow pets? Are you listed on Zillow (For Mid-Term advertising) 

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    11mo

    Just happened to notice your WiFi says "Fast Wifi, 58Mbs" This is actually extremely slow, perhaps look into updating that with Fiber internet which is 10-20x faster. 

    Especially when it appears you're listing for $500+ per night, you'll need to maximize every amenity you can. 

  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
    11mo

    @Rosston Smith - thank you! Our minimum stays are 1 night on weekdays, 2 on weekends. July was our busiest month and pricelabs set that minimum stay starting at 5 nights. I don't allow pets but know I should! I'm building up the courage after reading all of these comments :) I'm on Furnished Finder, but not Zillow. And thanks for the extra info on the wifi speed! I had no idea. 

    • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 641 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ashley Bitner:

      @Rosston Smith - thank you! Our minimum stays are 1 night on weekdays, 2 on weekends. July was our busiest month and pricelabs set that minimum stay starting at 5 nights. I don't allow pets but know I should! I'm building up the courage after reading all of these comments :) I'm on Furnished Finder, but not Zillow. And thanks for the extra info on the wifi speed! I had no idea. 

      you will see those minimum stay settings a lot. For our beach summer time, we put in a minimum of 5 nights, off season we have 3 nights. Pricelabs wont know, you should use both your experience and what your competitors do to see where you should land
    • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ashley Bitner:

      @Rosston Smith - thank you! Our minimum stays are 1 night on weekdays, 2 on weekends. July was our busiest month and pricelabs set that minimum stay starting at 5 nights. I don't allow pets but know I should! I'm building up the courage after reading all of these comments :) I'm on Furnished Finder, but not Zillow. And thanks for the extra info on the wifi speed! I had no idea. 

      I suspect that your losing on bookings because your nightly rate is far too high. $500+ per night for a 3 bedroom that doesn't allow pets may be ranking you beneath competition. Please compare w/ competitors in your area to see if they have similar policies and rates. RankBreeze is a great website to use to expedite this process. 
    • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ashley Bitner:

      @Rosston Smith - thank you! Our minimum stays are 1 night on weekdays, 2 on weekends. July was our busiest month and pricelabs set that minimum stay starting at 5 nights. I don't allow pets but know I should! I'm building up the courage after reading all of these comments :) I'm on Furnished Finder, but not Zillow. And thanks for the extra info on the wifi speed! I had no idea. 

      Definitely list on Zillow at your Midstay price rate
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    RE pets: just do it. I request guests cover furniture and beds if pets get on them which is what I do myself when traveling. As a pet owner I am meticulous about my stays because I appreciate the privilege and want to be welcomed back. You can always stop allowing pets if you have a bad experience. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 43 votes
    11mo

    My biggest initial feedback is on your Hero photo - it should almost never be a shot of the front of the house. I would recommend using your backyard hot tub photo, adding in a sunset and string lights. That will help you stand out a lot more on the search page. Otherwise you should build a comp set in your pricing tool and really analyze your prices vs competition. 

  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
    11mo

    @Daniel Bourdeau - thank you! I've been doing a lot of A/B testing with my hero image. I do think the sunset hot tub pic does a bit better! 

  • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    I think it would be fair to say you have a lot of company with these challenges and a lot of them are beyond your control. It's the market. Other people are discounting, the market is saturated and we have a buffoon running the country which is making everyone nervous as could be and it's seriously impacting traveler numbers. At least you aren't in Vegas.

    I have 2 properties in Costa Rica, 3 blocks away from each other. One is doing fantastic (which we've owned for longer - might be a clue) and the other one is bleeding me dry. I don't know why as they are both solid properties with great reviews. I have taken all the measures suggested here and none of them moved the dial. I set up a direct booking channel, 6 months of 3x per week instagram posting, newsletters, pets, art deco walls, drone shots, revised the listing, struggled with the horrendous platform known as Booking.Com. You name it, we tried it. I changed the pricing model where I lowered the base price for up to 4 guests and then charged $50 per person over that number up to 10 people. If 8 booked we got back to our original pricing. It worked but now we're in the height of the rainy season so nobody is coming regardless of the price.

    So based on my experience, my advice would be to skip most of the tinkering especially if it's going to cost you more money. Follow pareto's law. 80% of the solution will be price (ugh) and all the other things will be a fraction of the remaining 20%. I do agree with the hot-tub photo though, I think you could do better than that. I would feature the kitchen or lounge. A hot tub wouldn't catch my attention.

    Good luck, hang in there (you probably don't have much choice) and don't take it personally. This isn't about you or your property. It's a timing thing IMO, and if things continue to be dire for you I would think about an exit strategy e.g. medium/long term rental or sale. There comes a point where it doesn't make sense to keep throwing good money after bad. It's a financial decision not an emotional one.

  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
    11mo

    @Dave Roberts - Thank you! I know my listing could use some tweaks and the suggestions I have received from my post have been REALLY helpful. I have been wondering/worrying about the economy and how it is impacting travel. I really feel what you said about offering deals that don't do justice to your property. Admittedly I have strong emotional ties to my property (it was our primary residence for ~15 years before deciding to rent it on Airbnb) and I always figured I would rather let it sit empty for spells before charging less than I felt it was worth. But now it is sitting for quite a long spell and I am 100% rethinking my position (still stinks though!) 

    • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ashley Bitner:

      @Dave Roberts - Thank you! I know my listing could use some tweaks and the suggestions I have received from my post have been REALLY helpful. I have been wondering/worrying about the economy and how it is impacting travel. I really feel what you said about offering deals that don't do justice to your property. Admittedly I have strong emotional ties to my property (it was our primary residence for ~15 years before deciding to rent it on Airbnb) and I always figured I would rather let it sit empty for spells before charging less than I felt it was worth. But now it is sitting for quite a long spell and I am 100% rethinking my position (still stinks though!) 


    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ashley Bitner:

      @Dave Roberts - Thank you! I know my listing could use some tweaks and the suggestions I have received from my post have been REALLY helpful. I have been wondering/worrying about the economy and how it is impacting travel. I really feel what you said about offering deals that don't do justice to your property. Admittedly I have strong emotional ties to my property (it was our primary residence for ~15 years before deciding to rent it on Airbnb) and I always figured I would rather let it sit empty for spells before charging less than I felt it was worth. But now it is sitting for quite a long spell and I am 100% rethinking my position (still stinks though!) 

      An emotional attachment makes things complicated. I never thought it would happen to me but my first STR did it bad. I think it was the actual furnishing process, every single piece and it felt like ours. In an effort to make money and not make myself nuts I had to accept that this was the plan and I should be happy the plan is working and people are staying there. 
  • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    I totally get it and I think what you're doing is correct. Why would you discount before you need to? That's what amateurs do (or really wise people?) and I think it's better to test the waters first. Use pricing strategically not as a blunt weapon or you'll end up as the cheapest property and be unable to get out of that hole. Saying that I think you've reached that stage where it's probably time to try something different and put the emotional ties to one side if they're getting in the way. 

    I went through this learning curve with our red-headed step child property. We spent a fortune renovating it and then nobody came - well not enough I should say. It's done well at times but not consistently. I stayed with my assessments of what it was worth and priced it accordingly but eventually had to change. Unfortunately even pricing didn't turn things around and it still takes time even for that lever to work sometimes. Especially if everyone else is also doing it. We're at the 25th percentile on pricing for our market (I use pricelabs not airdna) and there are properties that seem crap compared to ours who are charging lots more and renting more. It makes no sense and trying to get the platforms to help has been a waste of time. It's super frustrating not knowing.

    • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      11mo

      Hey @Dave Roberts. Thanks for sharing about your property. I have 3 properties in Costa Rica and I can understand the frustration. I'd love to know about your properties and where they are. If you get a chance, send me a messge with the listings. Maybe I can notice something and get you some feedback. 

    • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Shiloh Lundahl:

      Hey @Dave Roberts. Thanks for sharing about your property. I have 3 properties in Costa Rica and I can understand the frustration. I'd love to know about your properties and where they are. If you get a chance, send me a messge with the listings. Maybe I can notice something and get you some feedback. 


       Hi Shiloh, here's my website: www.puravidalife.properties 

      We're in Playa Potrero a couple of bays up from Tamarindo. Casa Daniel is the one that needs help!

  • western NC · Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11mo

    Fire your photographer and hire one who knows how to shoot STRs. Your photographer is trying to be way too artsy. Has this person not heard of exposure bracketing to balance out light. There's no sense of flow through your home with the current photos. Vertical pics are a no-no. Room looks small. What are you hiding in the one bedroom where the focal point is the ceiling? I'm sure you paid a lot of money for these but IMHO they miss the mark in selling you home to prospective guests.

  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
    11mo

    @Ron Bell Gahhhh this photographer was a STR specialist and super expensive (this is where I enter a laughing + crying emoji)

    @Jules Aton - yeah the emotional attachment is hard to break!! I'm working on it though. 

    @Dave Roberts - The "red-headed step child property" that made me laugh (even though it's not funny and I am sure very very frustrating) Do you think you'll sell it? Or hold on? I am noticing a lot of properties near us that are Airbnbs are now on the market. Or, on zillow as LTR. Property values in our area are insanely high. I can see how investors in particular would sell once Airbnb bookings start drying up. 

    • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ashley Bitner:

      @Ron Bell Gahhhh this photographer was a STR specialist and super expensive (this is where I enter a laughing + crying emoji)

      @Jules Aton - yeah the emotional attachment is hard to break!! I'm working on it though. 

      @Dave Roberts - The "red-headed step child property" that made me laugh (even though it's not funny and I am sure very very frustrating) Do you think you'll sell it? Or hold on? I am noticing a lot of properties near us that are Airbnbs are now on the market. Or, on zillow as LTR. Property values in our area are insanely high. I can see how investors in particular would sell once Airbnb bookings start drying up. 


    • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ashley Bitner:

      @Ron Bell Gahhhh this photographer was a STR specialist and super expensive (this is where I enter a laughing + crying emoji)

      @Jules Aton - yeah the emotional attachment is hard to break!! I'm working on it though. 

      @Dave Roberts - The "red-headed step child property" that made me laugh (even though it's not funny and I am sure very very frustrating) Do you think you'll sell it? Or hold on? I am noticing a lot of properties near us that are Airbnbs are now on the market. Or, on zillow as LTR. Property values in our area are insanely high. I can see how investors in particular would sell once Airbnb bookings start drying up. 


  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    How much did the photos cost? It just came to my attention the strategy of using both whole room shots and the close-up things. I've seen a few that looked amazing, like a magazine layout and also more than a few where I clicked off the listing because if I saw one more picture of a croissant with wine glass on a tray in the bed I was going to fall asleep. 

    • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      How much did the photos cost? It just came to my attention the strategy of using both whole room shots and the close-up things. I've seen a few that looked amazing, like a magazine layout and also more than a few where I clicked off the listing because if I saw one more picture of a croissant with wine glass on a tray in the bed I was going to fall asleep. 

      They were $750 (which feels super expensive to me but was actually on the lower end of all the bids I received). I know what you mean about the croissant and wine glass.. ha! I also worry that if you stage with too much food stuff, guests are going to expect a cheese board, croissant, and wine waiting for them at checkin ;) 

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 77 votes
    11mo

    The home looks great!  a couple of items I would do it make a map that maps out locations more clearly.  Love the cartoon one but if it's a little clearer it could help.  If it's been dead, switch your photos around.  When I have listings that aren't selling I switch the photos up to get more clicks and that tends to help. 

    • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Brendan Mullenholz:

      The home looks great!  a couple of items I would do it make a map that maps out locations more clearly.  Love the cartoon one but if it's a little clearer it could help.  If it's been dead, switch your photos around.  When I have listings that aren't selling I switch the photos up to get more clicks and that tends to help. 


      Great idea about the map -  Thank you!! 

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    11mo
    Also, definitely allow pets! 
  • Investor · Mississippi Gulf Coast · Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 53 votes
    11mo

    I know a lot of folks are mentioning drone shots, but many times, drones can't launch legally without permission where there are nearby military bases.  It gets tricky based on flight patterns, time of day, and the mission(s) of the installation.  

    So, just a note of caution before launching a drone, as this property looks near several military/FAA-controlled entities. Good luck.

  • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    I have it listed for sale now. But I don't have any attachment to it, I always planned to flip it after 3 years. The problem is we bought it during the post covid gold rush and overspent on rehab so we will be lucky to break-even. Another negative thing to wrap our heads around. C'est la vie, it's real estate investing so you win some, you lose some. 
    We're looking at a couple of financing options but they're still crap down there. 4.5% basis points and >8% interest. Doesn't really make sense but there aren't alternatives as the banks only lend to you if you're a resident and their loans are even worse.
    What made me think investing in Costa Rica was a good idea? The seductive power of "pura vida" where everything will be fine. I dunno, seemed like a good idea at the time! The learning curve never stops 

    • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Dave Roberts:

      I have it listed for sale now. But I don't have any attachment to it, I always planned to flip it after 3 years. The problem is we bought it during the post covid gold rush and overspent on rehab so we will be lucky to break-even. Another negative thing to wrap our heads around. C'est la vie, it's real estate investing so you win some, you lose some. 
      We're looking at a couple of financing options but they're still crap down there. 4.5% basis points and >8% interest. Doesn't really make sense but there aren't alternatives as the banks only lend to you if you're a resident and their loans are even worse.
      What made me think investing in Costa Rica was a good idea? The seductive power of "pura vida" where everything will be fine. I dunno, seemed like a good idea at the time! The learning curve never stops 


  • Investor · Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    11mo

    And btw, I decided to accept pets and have had virtually no problems besides a little extra cleaning. I would definitely recommend doing that, just charge a pet fee. I would bet 95% of the time you will be golden

  • Rental Property Investor · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 344 votes
    11mo

    Have you seen how many STRs are in San Diego? It’s an oversaturated market. I haven’t used AirDNA personally, but I treat it like a Zestimate—fine for a general idea, but not something to rely on for actual performance. If you want real numbers, you need to look at actual bookings and revenue. AirDNA also tends to be the most optimistic projection of what you could earn from an STR.

    The house looks nice, but you also have to factor in the broader economic picture. The economy has been slowing for nearly two years, and the risks are skewed to the downside. That’s going to impact travel, discretionary spending, and vacation demand—especially in saturated markets like San Diego.

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo

    @Ashley Bitner,

    I love the creativity and advice being thrown around in this thread. And totally understand your frustration, that's a common feeling in year one of running an STR, especially in high-cost areas like San Diego.

    From a tax perspective, the good news is that all those setup and operating expenses are deductible, including furnishings, supplies, platform fees, cleaning, repairs, and even a portion of utilities if you’re covering them. If you or your spouse materially participate in managing it (which it sounds like you do), you may also be able to use the losses against your W2 income, which can make a big difference at tax time.

    If cash flow still feels tight, you might consider shifting part of the year to a mid-term rental model (30–90 day stays). It often cuts management time and expenses while keeping strong tax benefits.

    Hang in there, you’ve built a great foundation, and it’s normal for the first year to feel expensive as you stabilize and get the pricing right. Happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
    11mo

    @Ashish Acharya - Thank you for the encouragement!! You are right, I think I need to think about transitioning to some MTR during off season. And I am crossing my fingers that we see some good tax benefits! I've been tracking my hours for material participation 

    • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
      CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Ashley Bitner:

      @Ashish Acharya - Thank you for the encouragement!! You are right, I think I need to think about transitioning to some MTR during off season. And I am crossing my fingers that we see some good tax benefits! I've been tracking my hours for material participation 

       @Ashley Bitner,
      Hey! I just DMed you some info and a quick guide that’ll be super helpful for you on this, check your inbox when you get a sec!

      INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
      TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • Property Manager · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 134 votes
    11mo

    My recommendation would be to put a little time and effort into jazzing up the hot tub area and do a lifestyle photo shoot with some people in the hot tub with drinks, and run that as the cover photo.  You have a very nice dining area with a nice table, but a dining room table isn't what people think of when vacationing.  Also, take the cover off the grill, polish it up, stage it, and photograph it, and run that as a top 5 photo.  Our thought process is that for the most part, we're marketing the experience of making memories with friends and family.  People know all homes have beds, kitchens, and a table to eat at. Lead with the experience of being outside, enjoying the San Diego fresh air, and being able to walk to the beach.  That will get them interested, then they will dig deeper to see that you have a nice dining area, beds, kitchen, etc.

    You might be able to combine multiple experiential elements into a single cover photo.  Like maybe the grill is next to the hot tub with the surfboards leaning up against the wall, and some people are in the tub smiling, enjoying a glass of wine, while someone is grilling up some colorful kabobs with a cold craft beer.

    Furthermore, sign up for RankBreeze and sync it to your listing for a few months.  Let it run and see where you stand now.  How many 1st Page Impressions are you getting? What's your click-through rate (16-18% is good)?  What's your Booking Rate (1-2.5% is good)?  This data tells you a lot.  If you're not ranking well, several things could be off, but I'd start with the cover photo.  If you are ranking well and have high 1st Page Impressions, but the Click-Through rate is low, people probably aren't liking your next 4 photos.  If you're ranking well, 1st Page Impressions and Click Through Rate are high, but your booking rate is low, you might be priced too high.  If you can get your rank up, 1st Page Impressions up, and Click-Through Rate to 16-18%+, then you can adjust your pricing to keep your Booking Rate around 2.5% and you're probably maximizing revenue.

  • Member since 2022 · 77 posts · 43 votes
    11mo

    @Tyler Divin - these are great suggestions - thank you!! (I totally kicked myself when I got the pics back and saw I had forgotten to take the cover off the bbq! ugh) 

  • Interior Decorator · Member since 2025 · 82 posts · 42 votes
    10mo

    As an STR Designer — and lovely listing by the way — your place is very nicely designed but it's lacking in the backyard (hot tubs are everywhere) and its lacking some direction. What would make YOU stay there above other homes? How can you level up more?

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2023 · 189 posts · 88 votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Ashley Bitner:

    In January of this year I started renting our primary residence full time on Airbnb and VRBO (we moved to a rental one town over so our boys could be closer to friends/school).

    The house is a 3/2 in North County San Diego, walking distance to the beach and restaurants. I self manage and have learned a lot throughout the year. At first I was pretty picky about bookings but I've learned to be much more flexible in this department.

    Airdna estimated our STR could bring in ~120k per year. I estimate if we were to transition to a LTR we would bring in ~$56.5k annually. So far, our STR has grossed $46k.

    We have professional photos, dynamic pricing, an optimized listing, I have 32 reviews (all 5 stars), I'm in the top 5% of homes according to Airbnb, etc. etc. However, I feel like I am just bleeding money. The costs of getting the STR up and running has felt relentless. September and October are the absolute best months (weather wise) in San Diego and our occupancy is 12%. I feel like I am doing everything right, but I am clearly doing something wrong! I guess this is just a vent post but man I am feeling so frustrated!


    It sounds like you've put in a tremendous amount of effort into your short-term rental, and I can empathize with the frustration you're feeling. Managing an STR can indeed come with unexpected challenges, especially in a competitive market like San Diego. Since you've optimized your listing with great reviews and photos, it might be beneficial to analyze your pricing strategy. Tools like AirDNA can give valuable insights, but market conditions can also shift rapidly, particularly in high-tourism areas.

    One potential adjustment could be to evaluate your minimum stay requirements. Sometimes offering flexibility with slightly longer minimum stays can help boost occupancy, especially if you're targeting families or groups looking for a longer getaway. Additionally, consider collaborating with local businesses for cross-promotion. Partnerships with nearby restaurants or activity companies can not only enhance your guests' experience but also increase your visibility in the area.

    Another area to review is your marketing strategy. Engaging more on social media can help, particularly platforms like Instagram where visual appeal is key. Highlighting local events or attractions can attract the right audience and build a more emotional connection with potential guests. Also, consider reaching out for guest testimonials post-stay; those can provide fresh, engaging content for your listings and social media that resonates with potential guests.

    If you continually feel stuck, you might also look into a property manager for a short-term or even a trial period to see if they can help elevate your strategy and reflect a new perspective on your operation.

    Lets connect. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions I can answer!

    Keith Mintz
    Licensed realtor and investor
    Specializing in STR

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.