Any advice for the new listing would be appreciated

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2025 · 316 posts · 119 votes
8mo

“You are expected to return the property back to its original condition before you check out.” This sentence is too intense. Orginal condition means a lot of things. 1. Turn the TV to original channel 2. Wash every towel and fold them back 3. Wash and dry every plate and put them back like never used before 4. Clean every bit of the room 5. Make the bed... the list goes on... although I'm sure you mean something else... but..

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9mo

    Hey @Adrian Hill. Looks good. I would get some pics out the window if there is a view.

    Is it listed on VRBO? If not, get it up there as well.

    Some things, I would re-run that electrical cord from the lamp. Run it behind the couch. Where it is now could cause issues.

    You should change the listing to reflect that is is a studio and not a one bedroom. 

  • Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    9mo

    Thank you@Michael Baum I will do that. I would love to chat with you over the phone if you ever have time I listened to the podcast you and Dave did. You seem very knowledgeable about this sorta stuff.

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Amenity List: 14 (ouch!)  Your competitors will have 35-45-55-or more.
    At the end of your current list, I found THIS:

    "Not included

    • Unavailable: Exterior security cameras on property
    • Unavailable: Washer
    • Unavailable: Dryer
    • Unavailable: Essentials
    • Unavailable: Heating
    • Unavailable: Hot water"

    Essentials are: sheets, linens, pillow cases, bath towels, hand towels, wash clothes, soap, shampoo, conditioner, dish soap, paper towels, Kleenex, etc..

    Picture count: 8 (OUCH!).  Your competitors will have 25-30-35-or more...
    You need captions.  Statistically, same-for-same, Listings with pictures that have captions garner more bookings.

    This is a good start, but you need to flesh this out.  Search in Traveler mode as if looking for a place like yours in the area.  See all your competitors and look at the quality and completeness of their listings.

    Mike

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9mo

    Great looking place!

  • Interior Decorator · Member since 2025 · 82 posts · 42 votes
    9mo

    As an STR Designer and stager for properties for the photography — stage it some more. Set up that coffee counter with poured coffee, some breakfast. Set the deck more. Night and day shots. Obviously wait until Spring — I am in Maine and of course this listing in NH also means winter.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    It’s cute and agree that a few more photos would help. I’d remove the stuff under the bed for the photo. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    I agree with @Mike Grudzien its a great start but you need to go the extra mile to really compete!

  • Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
    9mo

    I might change the description a little. It says "steps from the beach", but those steps are to a highway. It has ocean view, but I would not call it steps from the beach. A beach to me has a stretch of sand someone can walk on. I also agree with others, that is not a 1 bedroom but is a studio. I would also suggest adding a high level/map picture to show how close it is to Hampton beach, shopping, and the beach where you would use the chairs/umbrellas.

    you need to identify your "avatar" for guests. To me, it is not "perfect for small family getaways". where would kids sit to eat? you have no dining table that I can see, only 2 bar stools. and the large deck is a shared deck, so you would not know who else might be on it. I dont know if you considered any fencing to give them a private space.

  • New to Real Estate · Northern California · Member since 2023 · 79 posts · 33 votes
    8mo

    Hey, this place is super cute, big congratulations.

    I agree with the earlier suggestion to tidy up the photos by moving the white electrical cord and the items stored under the bed. 

    I also think it is fine to say “steps to the beach” or “steps to the water.” You are very close, and since you include a photo clearly showing the exact location, it feels honest and transparent.

    Regarding checkout expectations, I personally would not include those in the listing itself. That information can be shared after guests have booked and closer to checkout. Having it upfront in the listing can sometimes feel a bit intense or unwelcoming.

    I do agree with the person who questioned the heating, hot water, and essentials being listed as not included. If you are in an area with winters, heating is typically required, and stating that it is not included could raise concerns. As for hot water, I assume you have it, and if you do not, that would be a tough sell for most guests. And for essentials, those usually mean basics like sheets and towels, which I believe you do provide since they are visible in your photos.

    Hope these suggestions help. Again, big congratulations, your place is lovely.

  • Cliff H.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 587 posts · 477 votes
    8mo

    Hey @Adrian Hill, fellow Granite Stater. Congrats on the listing. A few quick observations from knowing the area:

    You’re at 30m walk to the north side of Hampton Beach - could you offer bicycles at your rental? That breaks a 30m walk to an 8m ride and skips the horrors that are parking by the beach. 

    You list a lot of local destinations, but not the distance/time to reach them. Easy fix!

    Your hero shot’s a walled beach. Could you replace that with a shot that shows the sand in a lower tide time where folks can actually see that they can walk the beach across the street? That’s a huge difference in perceived value for your guests. 

    You have the challenge of making the most of a very small space. Have you considered hiring a remote interior designer to look over pictures of your space and offer their design insight? A single booking at a higher nightly rate would more than make up for the couple hundred dollars it would cost you to run the space by a trained eye. 

    Lots of super knowledgable folks here on the forums - keep asking questions ahead of the busy summer beach season!

  • Member since 2025 · 316 posts · 119 votes
    8mo

    “You are expected to return the property back to its original condition before you check out.” This sentence is too intense. Orginal condition means a lot of things. 1. Turn the TV to original channel 2. Wash every towel and fold them back 3. Wash and dry every plate and put them back like never used before 4. Clean every bit of the room 5. Make the bed... the list goes on... although I'm sure you mean something else... but..

  • Investor · NH · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 21 votes
    8mo

    Hi Adrian!

    I am an investor focused agent based out of Exeter. I have a few friends that manage STRs are on Hampton beach if you are looking to outsource property management or just looking for a local's take!

    Our Brokerage has an off market email list I can add you to. There have been a few properties in Hampton that would be great for an STRs that have come up on the list over the past couple months. Looking forward to connecting!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.