STR Friendly neighborhoods

STR Friendly neighborhoods

Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 3 votes

Hello,

I love the idea of STR as an active income stream. Is there anyone in the area doing STR and would be open to chatting?

How exactly do you find out if municipalities are friendly or not?  I'm targeting properties that have LTR as well as STR suitability.  

1Reply
141 views

Most Popular Reply

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8mo
Quote from @Melissa Bodenstab:

Hello,

I love the idea of STR as an active income stream. Is there anyone in the area doing STR and would be open to chatting?

How exactly do you find out if municipalities are friendly or not?  I'm targeting properties that have LTR as well as STR suitability.  


There are two keys:  The first is municipal code. The second is common courtesy. STRs don't belong in residential areas. However, many resort areas have developments specifically intended for Short Term Rentals.  As an example, most, though not all, of Gatlinburg TN is approved for Short Term Rentals.  These places are the easiest to operate in this investment class.  

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Melissa Bodenstab:

    Hello,

    I love the idea of STR as an active income stream. Is there anyone in the area doing STR and would be open to chatting?

    How exactly do you find out if municipalities are friendly or not?  I'm targeting properties that have LTR as well as STR suitability.  


    There are two keys:  The first is municipal code. The second is common courtesy. STRs don't belong in residential areas. However, many resort areas have developments specifically intended for Short Term Rentals.  As an example, most, though not all, of Gatlinburg TN is approved for Short Term Rentals.  These places are the easiest to operate in this investment class.  

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Collin Hays:
      Quote from @Melissa Bodenstab:

      Hello,

      I love the idea of STR as an active income stream. Is there anyone in the area doing STR and would be open to chatting?

      How exactly do you find out if municipalities are friendly or not?  I'm targeting properties that have LTR as well as STR suitability.  


      There are two keys:  The first is municipal code. The second is common courtesy. STRs don't belong in residential areas. However, many resort areas have developments specifically intended for Short Term Rentals.  As an example, most, though not all, of Gatlinburg TN is approved for Short Term Rentals.  These places are the easiest to operate in this investment class.  

      “The second is common courtesy. STRs don't belong in residential areas.”

      Agree 100%. I once stayed in a VRBO townhouse a couple of miles from the beach that I found upon arrival was actually a locals, working class neighborhood. It was nicely appointed and no one was unfriendly but I felt awkward. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8mo

    Look for non HOA neighborhoods.

    If you see a lot of STR'S listed in certain neighborhoods its likely they are legal there, but you would need to confirm.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8mo

    Hey @Melissa Bodenstab, here is the website for STRs in Albany NY.

    https://www.albanyny.gov/2268/Short-Term-Rentals

    Seems like there was a meeting going over the STRs in the area 2 years ago. 

    I would call the city and see what they are saying right now. They should be able to give you a good idea of where you can do a STR. Maybe call one of the council people listed in the PDF presentation and see what they say about which way the winds are blowing regarding STRs.

    Good call on getting a lay of the land before jumping in. 

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Melissa, there are great answers on this forum.  Yes, always check with the local municipality.

  • Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    8mo

    I would love to buy a STR in the smokey mountains however, at this time... I can not afford to!

    I understand consideration for homeowners.  Ideally, I would find something in a rural area.  I'd love to do renovated airstream with a really nice outdoor area.  There is close proximity to skiing, hiking, and lakes.

    The immediate city area is a college town, so I believe there is strong demand.  I've checked air bnb and there are many many options.  

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    I would try to work with an agent with demonstrable STR experience - they should know not only where it is legal but where it is profitable.

  • James CarlsonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8mo

    Do not rely on the existence of STRs in that neighborhood as proof of anything. There are several areas of Colorado where people are operating Airbnb properties even though the local short-term rental laws prohibit them (or are silent on them). It's often because the municipality is understaffed or doesn't yet have STRs on their radar. 

    Definitely call the planning department and ask someone. And even then, ask them to send you the ordinance that states what they say, because at least in the early days of STRs in Denver and Colorado Springs here, I found even the government officials didn't know what the law was. 

    Good luck!

  • Attorney · Holland, MI · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 11 votes
    8mo

    The biggest hurdle for STR investors these days is regulation and sneaky deed restrictions. HOAs folks seem to watch out for, but some states have deed restrictions. Deed restrictions are separate and distinct from HOAs. They are recorded with the deed themselves and are found with the title work. In Michigan if your deed restriction says "residential use only" that means that you cannot short term rent. It's pretty brutal here and I have had a few clients sued by their neighbors for it. This is state dependent but that's just an example of a sneaky thing you have to watch out for as an investor. I think the best STRs have no neighbors.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 917 votes
    8mo

    @Melissa Bodenstab

    Melissa, the Midwest has some strong markets for both short-term and long-term rentals, with neighborhoods that balance tenant demand and STR potential. When evaluating municipalities, you want to check local ordinances, zoning rules, and licensing requirements, which are often published on city websites or through local property groups. Talking to local investors and property managers is also key—they can give insight into which areas are STR-friendly and which neighborhoods tend to perform well for both LTR and STR.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.