SMOKIES REPORT: A rotation back to reality

SMOKIES REPORT: A rotation back to reality

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I had a visit with a prospective new client yesterday that gave me a bit of relief.  She and her husband recently purchased a beautiful cabin in Gatlinburg, and they retained my firm to manage it.  As I do with every prospective new client, we had a long conversation about their goals and financial expectations.  Frankly, the expectations of many investors in the Smokies are unrealistic, so I like to ferret this out before either us or the client do anything further.  There is no sense in beginning a business relationship when you know full well that you cannot meet the client's financial expectations, and I'm not going to blow smoke to try to gain a client.  

This client has reasonable expectations.  They purchased the cabin as a long-term play, fully realizing they will be in the red for the first few years.  That's reality. That's healthy.  I purchased my first property in the Smokies in the fall of 2025, for $240,000.  Annual rents were about $16,000.  In the early years, my goal was for the income to at least make the mortgage payment.  I didn't start making a monthly profit until around 2012.   But since then, other people have paid off the property for me, it has tripled in value, and gross rents are now $45,000 a year.  THIS is why you buy and hold a long-term investment!  

The concept of borrowing money to buy a vacation rental and making a fast buck is a very recent, and short-lived, phenomenon.  Free money during COVID, super low interest rates, and incredible demand.  For three years.   Lots of get rich quick books and videos were made during this time.  It's easy!  Do it all from your iPhone while sunning on the beach!  Anyone can do it!  Some of the characters pushing this narrative are still beating the drum.  But other than this three-year window, borrowing money to buy a vacation rental AND immediately posting a monthly profit have NEVER been a realistic expectation in the Smokies.  

The real estate listings in the Smokies are full of investors who have realized this and have decided to move on.  Many bought a lie.  It is encouraging to see buyers coming in after them that have a longer-term outlook.  It is a rotation back to reality.  Yes, 2024 and 2025 rents are "down."  But down compared to what?  Compared to a once in a century economic volcano?  Rents are simply returning to equilibrium, as painful as that is to investors.  

And this is a GREAT time to invest in the Smokies.  Deals are out there, if you have realistic expectations!

5Reply
276 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
7mo

Great story setting expectations Collin. 

Ps. Only because I want to know how long it really took. You said you bought your first property in the fall of 2025 and didn’t make any profit until 2012. I assume you meant you bought in 2005? Or maybe 1925?  :-)

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    Exactly. The frenzy years was unrealistic and an outlier. Can't assume that was the new reality. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7mo

    Great story setting expectations Collin. 

    Ps. Only because I want to know how long it really took. You said you bought your first property in the fall of 2025 and didn’t make any profit until 2012. I assume you meant you bought in 2005? Or maybe 1925?  :-)

    • Collin HaysBusiness Member
      OP
      Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Bill B.:

      Great story setting expectations Collin. 

      Ps. Only because I want to know how long it really took. You said you bought your first property in the fall of 2025 and didn’t make any profit until 2012. I assume you meant you bought in 2005? Or maybe 1925?  :-)


       Oops!  2005 is correct!  I missed the "edit" deadline!  Thank you!

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    Congrats!

    That is a reason why I love working with clients from the beginning before they purchase. I can manage their expectations from day 1 with the effort to underpromise and overdeliver. I am often uneasy taking management clients who bought through non STR experienced Realtors as there is usually a disconnect from expectation and reality!

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Collin does it again!  Great report!

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    But those COVID years sure were fun for the cabin business!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7mo

    100%.

    Its more about the long game and riding the ups and downs, especially in the early years. 

  • Interior Decorator · Member since 2025 · 82 posts · 42 votes
    7mo

    I'm seeing this with potential clients who bought then — and didn't do anything for the property. Now the property is slowing, bookings are down or negative and they bristle when I explain why. STR's are long term investments — and should be treated as such. And that includes design — but they won't or don't want to hear that. So I expect to see more of this happening and the ones who think long term and invest in curated design to the guest — will succeed.

    • Collin HaysBusiness Member
      OP
      Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      I'm seeing this with potential clients who bought then — and didn't do anything for the property. Now the property is slowing, bookings are down or negative and they bristle when I explain why. STR's are long term investments — and should be treated as such. And that includes design — but they won't or don't want to hear that. So I expect to see more of this happening and the ones who think long term and invest in curated design to the guest — will succeed.


      I had a two-hour phone call with an interior designer/decorator/stager this a.m. regarding three of my Smokies cabins.  Looks like I'm going to be spending about $30K to get them up to snuff. But it's the cost of doing business.

    • Interior Decorator · Member since 2025 · 82 posts · 42 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Collin Hays:
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      I'm seeing this with potential clients who bought then — and didn't do anything for the property. Now the property is slowing, bookings are down or negative and they bristle when I explain why. STR's are long term investments — and should be treated as such. And that includes design — but they won't or don't want to hear that. So I expect to see more of this happening and the ones who think long term and invest in curated design to the guest — will succeed.


      I had a two-hour phone call with an interior designer/decorator/stager this a.m. regarding three of my Smokies cabins.  Looks like I'm going to be spending about $30K to get them up to snuff. But it's the cost of doing business.

      Wishing you the best! I am sure they will all turn out wonderful!

  • Interior Decorator · Member since 2025 · 82 posts · 42 votes
    7mo
  • Leander TX · Member since 2020 · 179 posts · 150 votes
    7mo

    Great post as usual, Collin.

    However I do dispute that it is a great time to invest in the Smokies.  We own 2 cabins there and visit frequently and continue to see new construction.  All that new inventory coming online means more competition and lower revenue pressure.

    I still love the Smokies and STRs but MTRs/furnished rentals are beginning to look attractive because:

    1. They don't rely on a vacation destination.

    2. Property management is easier than an STR.

    3. Work to cash ratio may be better in MTRs.

    We have an MTR in the Austin TX area and it's so much easier to manage than our Smokies STRs.  Basically we need to clean/stage it 2-3x a year, talk to guests infrequently.  Cash flow is smaller (property tax in Travis county is outrageous) but the long term investment potential is more attractive due to the smaller work load.

    Also, you're not limited to a few vacation markets.  MTRs are basically good any areas that are growing.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7mo

    collin I think your thought process can apply to most all rentals in all situations. its a LOOOONG game.. these are long term investments not something you live on the cash flow unless your paying all cash for them 

    with max debt which most investors seem to do not many if any rentals in any setting are going to day one throw off actual spendable cash flow. 

    tax write off mortgage paydown appreciation is hte name of the game as you describe that is reality. 

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2024 · 22 posts · 14 votes
    7mo

    Collin, are you speaking about LTR or STR? I've been considering the smokies for an STR investment but I feel the competition is very high right now

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Filippo Seracini:

      Collin, are you speaking about LTR or STR? I've been considering the smokies for an STR investment but I feel the competition is very high right now


      He is talking about STR's.

    • Collin HaysBusiness Member
      OP
      Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Filippo Seracini:

      Collin, are you speaking about LTR or STR? I've been considering the smokies for an STR investment but I feel the competition is very high right now


      He is talking about STR's.


       Sorry I'm just now responding to this. Yes, I think it's a good time to invest in the Smokies. It's shifted to a buyer's market.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.