Your Views on Property Analyzers

Your Views on Property Analyzers

Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 73 posts · 43 votes

Hi everyone,

Quick question for investors and hosts here.

As someone who helps find STR properties, I usually use tools like AirDNA, Bnbcalc, and Rabbu( Rarely) to run projections before recommending a deal.

I’m curious, which of these (or any others) do you personally trust or prefer when analyzing a property?

Also, how much weight do you actually give to projections?

Do you feel they really reflect how a property will perform, or do you take them with a grain of salt?

Would love to hear how others approach this

5Reply
401 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
5mo
Quote from @Maria Molu:
Quote from @John Underwood:

I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 

 As an Engineer, I used spreadsheets everyday.

The easiest way is to google STR spreadsheet. There should be some in this forum also that people have uploaded.

Google the "enemy method " and you will find You tube videos that explain checking pricing of your potential comparable properties.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 172 posts · 172 votes
    5mo

    I take them with a "grain of salt" but BNBCalc does the best job in my opinion.  It helps organize top comps, show the projections from AirDNA and link to market regulations.  It is a must have.

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 73 posts · 43 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Ian Tyndall:

      I take them with a "grain of salt" but BNBCalc does the best job in my opinion.  It helps organize top comps, show the projections from AirDNA and link to market regulations.  It is a must have.

      Wow! Maybe I'm surprised to hear this, but I'm happy to hear it. I guess most investors rely too much on Airdna analysis and perhaps it was the best before now. It usually take me so much conviction to get a client to embrace Bnbcal, often they don't even go ahead with the lease. Just few. If you ask me, I honestly take them with a grain of salt. 
    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @Ian Tyndall:

      I take them with a "grain of salt" but BNBCalc does the best job in my opinion.  It helps organize top comps, show the projections from AirDNA and link to market regulations.  It is a must have.

      Wow! Maybe I'm surprised to hear this, but I'm happy to hear it. I guess most investors rely too much on Airdna analysis and perhaps it was the best before now. It usually take me so much conviction to get a client to embrace Bnbcal, often they don't even go ahead with the lease. Just few. If you ask me, I honestly take them with a grain of salt. 

       I don't even understand what you are trying to say here. Please elaborate what this post means. 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 73 posts · 43 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @Ian Tyndall:

      I take them with a "grain of salt" but BNBCalc does the best job in my opinion.  It helps organize top comps, show the projections from AirDNA and link to market regulations.  It is a must have.

      Wow! Maybe I'm surprised to hear this, but I'm happy to hear it. I guess most investors rely too much on Airdna analysis and perhaps it was the best before now. It usually take me so much conviction to get a client to embrace Bnbcal, often they don't even go ahead with the lease. Just few. If you ask me, I honestly take them with a grain of salt. 

       I don't even understand what you are trying to say here. Please elaborate what this post means. 

       The point is, we have these softwares (Airdna, Bnbcal, Rabbu and all others, buy this are the common ones) that analysis a property using the details of the property to give projections on their revenue generation monthly/Annually and Average daily rate. I'm curious, from an investor's perspective, which of these softwares give a reliable data or most preferred. Secondly, does the projections really determine the revenue generating performance of a property? Perhaps we have people who do not even believe in the data's generated like me. 

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @Ian Tyndall:

      I take them with a "grain of salt" but BNBCalc does the best job in my opinion.  It helps organize top comps, show the projections from AirDNA and link to market regulations.  It is a must have.

      Wow! Maybe I'm surprised to hear this, but I'm happy to hear it. I guess most investors rely too much on Airdna analysis and perhaps it was the best before now. It usually take me so much conviction to get a client to embrace Bnbcal, often they don't even go ahead with the lease. Just few. If you ask me, I honestly take them with a grain of salt. 

       I don't even understand what you are trying to say here. Please elaborate what this post means. 

       The point is, we have these softwares (Airdna, Bnbcal, Rabbu and all others, buy this are the common ones) that analysis a property using the details of the property to give projections on their revenue generation monthly/Annually and Average daily rate. I'm curious, from an investor's perspective, which of these softwares give a reliable data or most preferred. Secondly, does the projections really determine the revenue generating performance of a property? Perhaps we have people who do not even believe in the data's generated like me. 


      So this makes no sense at all, unless you're an AI bot. Why would you tell us in your first post that you use tools like AirDNA, BnbCalc and Rabbu and then tell us you don't believe in the data's (I would assume AI would know this is improper English but what do I know) generated? And why would you be having to muster "so much conviction" to embrace BnBCal, whatever that is, when you don't believe in the data's? And why would STR clients be signing leases anyway?

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
    • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @Ian Tyndall:

      I take them with a "grain of salt" but BNBCalc does the best job in my opinion.  It helps organize top comps, show the projections from AirDNA and link to market regulations.  It is a must have.

      Wow! Maybe I'm surprised to hear this, but I'm happy to hear it. I guess most investors rely too much on Airdna analysis and perhaps it was the best before now. It usually take me so much conviction to get a client to embrace Bnbcal, often they don't even go ahead with the lease. Just few. If you ask me, I honestly take them with a grain of salt. 

       I don't even understand what you are trying to say here. Please elaborate what this post means. 

       The point is, we have these softwares (Airdna, Bnbcal, Rabbu and all others, buy this are the common ones) that analysis a property using the details of the property to give projections on their revenue generation monthly/Annually and Average daily rate. I'm curious, from an investor's perspective, which of these softwares give a reliable data or most preferred. Secondly, does the projections really determine the revenue generating performance of a property? Perhaps we have people who do not even believe in the data's generated like me. 


      So this makes no sense at all, unless you're an AI bot. Why would you tell us in your first post that you use tools like AirDNA, BnbCalc and Rabbu and then tell us you don't believe in the data's (I would assume AI would know this is improper English but what do I know) generated? And why would you be having to muster "so much conviction" to embrace BnBCal, whatever that is, when you don't believe in the data's? And why would STR clients be signing leases anyway?


       I feel like I'm living in Bladerunner on here these days. Can't tell the replicants made by the Tyrell Corporation from the humans anymore. 

    • JD MartinBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Steve K.:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @Ian Tyndall:

      I take them with a "grain of salt" but BNBCalc does the best job in my opinion.  It helps organize top comps, show the projections from AirDNA and link to market regulations.  It is a must have.

      Wow! Maybe I'm surprised to hear this, but I'm happy to hear it. I guess most investors rely too much on Airdna analysis and perhaps it was the best before now. It usually take me so much conviction to get a client to embrace Bnbcal, often they don't even go ahead with the lease. Just few. If you ask me, I honestly take them with a grain of salt. 

       I don't even understand what you are trying to say here. Please elaborate what this post means. 

       The point is, we have these softwares (Airdna, Bnbcal, Rabbu and all others, buy this are the common ones) that analysis a property using the details of the property to give projections on their revenue generation monthly/Annually and Average daily rate. I'm curious, from an investor's perspective, which of these softwares give a reliable data or most preferred. Secondly, does the projections really determine the revenue generating performance of a property? Perhaps we have people who do not even believe in the data's generated like me. 


      So this makes no sense at all, unless you're an AI bot. Why would you tell us in your first post that you use tools like AirDNA, BnbCalc and Rabbu and then tell us you don't believe in the data's (I would assume AI would know this is improper English but what do I know) generated? And why would you be having to muster "so much conviction" to embrace BnBCal, whatever that is, when you don't believe in the data's? And why would STR clients be signing leases anyway?


       I feel like I'm living in Bladerunner on here these days. Can't tell the replicants made by the Tyrell Corporation from the humans anymore. 


       Hahaha I know what you mean Steve. You should see the sausage from this end of the assembly line! I don't know what the solution is going to be but know there's conversations going on because it's getting out of hand. 

      Skyline Properties
      View Page
    • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Steve K.:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @JD Martin:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @Ian Tyndall:

      I take them with a "grain of salt" but BNBCalc does the best job in my opinion.  It helps organize top comps, show the projections from AirDNA and link to market regulations.  It is a must have.

      Wow! Maybe I'm surprised to hear this, but I'm happy to hear it. I guess most investors rely too much on Airdna analysis and perhaps it was the best before now. It usually take me so much conviction to get a client to embrace Bnbcal, often they don't even go ahead with the lease. Just few. If you ask me, I honestly take them with a grain of salt. 

       I don't even understand what you are trying to say here. Please elaborate what this post means. 

       The point is, we have these softwares (Airdna, Bnbcal, Rabbu and all others, buy this are the common ones) that analysis a property using the details of the property to give projections on their revenue generation monthly/Annually and Average daily rate. I'm curious, from an investor's perspective, which of these softwares give a reliable data or most preferred. Secondly, does the projections really determine the revenue generating performance of a property? Perhaps we have people who do not even believe in the data's generated like me. 


      So this makes no sense at all, unless you're an AI bot. Why would you tell us in your first post that you use tools like AirDNA, BnbCalc and Rabbu and then tell us you don't believe in the data's (I would assume AI would know this is improper English but what do I know) generated? And why would you be having to muster "so much conviction" to embrace BnBCal, whatever that is, when you don't believe in the data's? And why would STR clients be signing leases anyway?


       I feel like I'm living in Bladerunner on here these days. Can't tell the replicants made by the Tyrell Corporation from the humans anymore. 


       Hahaha I know what you mean Steve. You should see the sausage from this end of the assembly line! I don't know what the solution is going to be but know there's conversations going on because it's getting out of hand. 


       We need Deckard and his Voight-Kampff test..."Did you ever take that test yourself?"

  • Investor · VA AZ, SC · Member since 2017 · 172 posts · 172 votes
    5mo

    Well, if it helps your customers you can let them know that this investor relies on it!

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 73 posts · 43 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Ian Tyndall:

      Well, if it helps your customers you can let them know that this investor relies on it!

      Yea, I do that. Thank you for your input 
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5mo

    I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 73 posts · 43 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

      I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 
    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

      I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 

       As an Engineer, I used spreadsheets everyday.

      The easiest way is to google STR spreadsheet. There should be some in this forum also that people have uploaded.

      Google the "enemy method " and you will find You tube videos that explain checking pricing of your potential comparable properties.

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 73 posts · 43 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

      I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 

       As an Engineer, I used spreadsheets everyday.

      The easiest way is to google STR spreadsheet. There should be some in this forum also that people have uploaded.

      Google the "enemy method " and you will find You tube videos that explain checking pricing of your potential comparable properties.

      Will do that. Thanks 
    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

      I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 

       As an Engineer, I used spreadsheets everyday.

      The easiest way is to google STR spreadsheet. There should be some in this forum also that people have uploaded.

      Google the "enemy method " and you will find You tube videos that explain checking pricing of your potential comparable properties.


       There is an old story:

      A General conducts a study during the Korean War (which war is not important) to measure where each returning aircraft took damage (was shot). They measured many air craft over several months, wrote a report that documented where the most planes took damage to determine where to add extra armor.

      The general is prowd of the study thinking it will save lives and is announcing the findings. Some senior sergeants are having discussions as the general is presenting his findings. The general is unhappy with the lack of respect and asks the sergeants what was so important to be discussing.

      They are reluctant to say anything but the general is not accepting not being told so he pushes for an answer. One of the sergeants says you took the measurements on the planes that returned.

      The implication is that is not where the armor was needed.

      It is not important if the story is true or not.

      What is important is to recognize each OTA only provides search results of the available units. My units are getting close to their previous highest occupancy (meaning virtually full occupancy). Unless you look just as we open another month, you are unlikely to see our high occupancy units in your search results.

      The enemy method has the same issue as the plane story. Your search results return the available (unbooked) units, not the booked units.  Do you want to compare either the available units or would you prefer to compare with the booked (unsvailable) units?

      Good luck

    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

      I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 

       As an Engineer, I used spreadsheets everyday.

      The easiest way is to google STR spreadsheet. There should be some in this forum also that people have uploaded.

      Google the "enemy method " and you will find You tube videos that explain checking pricing of your potential comparable properties.


       There is an old story:

      A General conducts a study during the Korean War (which war is not important) to measure where each returning aircraft took damage (was shot). They measured many air craft over several months, wrote a report that documented where the most planes took damage to determine where to add extra armor.

      The general is prowd of the study thinking it will save lives and is announcing the findings. Some senior sergeants are having discussions as the general is presenting his findings. The general is unhappy with the lack of respect and asks the sergeants what was so important to be discussing.

      They are reluctant to say anything but the general is not accepting not being told so he pushes for an answer. One of the sergeants says you took the measurements on the planes that returned.

      The implication is that is not where the armor was needed.

      It is not important if the story is true or not.

      What is important is to recognize each OTA only provides search results of the available units. My units are getting close to their previous highest occupancy (meaning virtually full occupancy). Unless you look just as we open another month, you are unlikely to see our high occupancy units in your search results.

      The enemy method has the same issue as the plane story. Your search results return the available (unbooked) units, not the booked units.  Do you want to compare either the available units or would you prefer to compare with the booked (unsvailable) units?

      Good luck


       This is true, but you find nearby unbooked dates on their calendar to get prices that should be similar enough to use.

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

      I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 

       As an Engineer, I used spreadsheets everyday.

      The easiest way is to google STR spreadsheet. There should be some in this forum also that people have uploaded.

      Google the "enemy method " and you will find You tube videos that explain checking pricing of your potential comparable properties.


       There is an old story:

      A General conducts a study during the Korean War (which war is not important) to measure where each returning aircraft took damage (was shot). They measured many air craft over several months, wrote a report that documented where the most planes took damage to determine where to add extra armor.

      The general is prowd of the study thinking it will save lives and is announcing the findings. Some senior sergeants are having discussions as the general is presenting his findings. The general is unhappy with the lack of respect and asks the sergeants what was so important to be discussing.

      They are reluctant to say anything but the general is not accepting not being told so he pushes for an answer. One of the sergeants says you took the measurements on the planes that returned.

      The implication is that is not where the armor was needed.

      It is not important if the story is true or not.

      What is important is to recognize each OTA only provides search results of the available units. My units are getting close to their previous highest occupancy (meaning virtually full occupancy). Unless you look just as we open another month, you are unlikely to see our high occupancy units in your search results.

      The enemy method has the same issue as the plane story. Your search results return the available (unbooked) units, not the booked units.  Do you want to compare either the available units or would you prefer to compare with the booked (unsvailable) units?

      Good luck


       This is true, but you find nearby unbooked dates on their calendar to get prices that should be similar enough to use.

      My two highest occupancy STRs book very quickly after opening up the next month window.   Unless you got quite lucky in your search timing and criteria, they would not show up in an enemy method search especially in the high season.  

      The enemy method only shows STRs that are available to be booked per your search criteria.   The more interesting STRs to see are the ones already reserved (unavailable for your search criteria).

      something to ponder 

      good luck
    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

      I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 

       As an Engineer, I used spreadsheets everyday.

      The easiest way is to google STR spreadsheet. There should be some in this forum also that people have uploaded.

      Google the "enemy method " and you will find You tube videos that explain checking pricing of your potential comparable properties.


       There is an old story:

      A General conducts a study during the Korean War (which war is not important) to measure where each returning aircraft took damage (was shot). They measured many air craft over several months, wrote a report that documented where the most planes took damage to determine where to add extra armor.

      The general is prowd of the study thinking it will save lives and is announcing the findings. Some senior sergeants are having discussions as the general is presenting his findings. The general is unhappy with the lack of respect and asks the sergeants what was so important to be discussing.

      They are reluctant to say anything but the general is not accepting not being told so he pushes for an answer. One of the sergeants says you took the measurements on the planes that returned.

      The implication is that is not where the armor was needed.

      It is not important if the story is true or not.

      What is important is to recognize each OTA only provides search results of the available units. My units are getting close to their previous highest occupancy (meaning virtually full occupancy). Unless you look just as we open another month, you are unlikely to see our high occupancy units in your search results.

      The enemy method has the same issue as the plane story. Your search results return the available (unbooked) units, not the booked units.  Do you want to compare either the available units or would you prefer to compare with the booked (unsvailable) units?

      Good luck


       This is true, but you find nearby unbooked dates on their calendar to get prices that should be similar enough to use.

      My two highest occupancy STRs book very quickly after opening up the next month window.   Unless you got quite lucky in your search timing and criteria, they would not show up in an enemy method search especially in the high season.  

      The enemy method only shows STRs that are available to be booked per your search criteria.   The more interesting STRs to see are the ones already reserved (unavailable for your search criteria).

      something to ponder 

      good luck

       If you search 5 similar properties and take an average you can make it work.

      This is much more reliable than Airdna.

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

      I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 

       As an Engineer, I used spreadsheets everyday.

      The easiest way is to google STR spreadsheet. There should be some in this forum also that people have uploaded.

      Google the "enemy method " and you will find You tube videos that explain checking pricing of your potential comparable properties.


       There is an old story:

      A General conducts a study during the Korean War (which war is not important) to measure where each returning aircraft took damage (was shot). They measured many air craft over several months, wrote a report that documented where the most planes took damage to determine where to add extra armor.

      The general is prowd of the study thinking it will save lives and is announcing the findings. Some senior sergeants are having discussions as the general is presenting his findings. The general is unhappy with the lack of respect and asks the sergeants what was so important to be discussing.

      They are reluctant to say anything but the general is not accepting not being told so he pushes for an answer. One of the sergeants says you took the measurements on the planes that returned.

      The implication is that is not where the armor was needed.

      It is not important if the story is true or not.

      What is important is to recognize each OTA only provides search results of the available units. My units are getting close to their previous highest occupancy (meaning virtually full occupancy). Unless you look just as we open another month, you are unlikely to see our high occupancy units in your search results.

      The enemy method has the same issue as the plane story. Your search results return the available (unbooked) units, not the booked units.  Do you want to compare either the available units or would you prefer to compare with the booked (unsvailable) units?

      Good luck


       This is true, but you find nearby unbooked dates on their calendar to get prices that should be similar enough to use.

      My two highest occupancy STRs book very quickly after opening up the next month window.   Unless you got quite lucky in your search timing and criteria, they would not show up in an enemy method search especially in the high season.  

      The enemy method only shows STRs that are available to be booked per your search criteria.   The more interesting STRs to see are the ones already reserved (unavailable for your search criteria).

      something to ponder 

      good luck

       If you search 5 similar properties and take an average you can make it work.

      This is much more reliable than Airdna.


       You will get 5 properties that are available for your search criteria.   You may miss the cream of the top.  My 2 highest occupancy properties just opened for Oct (excluding that they are open at crazy rates for the local Olympic soccer matches)   If you searched for anything before Oct, you would be unlikely to get those 2 units in your enemy method search and if you did return those 2 units, you would get the gap rate pricing and not the regular pricing,

      I am unsure that enemy method will do better than airdna but have always felt the airdna data should not be total revenue.   Short stay policies can result in higher cleaner fees with respect to revenue.

      My pms charged based me based on rent, my co-host charges me based on income.   short stays can result in a lot of the income going to the cleaners.

      The airDNa policy makes it difficult to determine STR Rate. You would need to know cleaners fee and number of reservations to subtract out to obtain STR rent.

      So airDNa also has challenges deriving useful numbers.

      I would love a full breakdown by one of these data sites. This much STR base rate, this much for extras (pet fees, early/late check-in/check-out, rentals). This much for cleaners.

      When I do my initial underwriting, my preference is to get a number from the top PM or co-host in that market.   They always provide a range.  I use the lower part of the range.   Unfortunately co-host usually quote revenue so same issue as airdna.  


    • John UnderwoodPro Member
      Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @John Underwood:
      Quote from @Maria Molu:
      Quote from @John Underwood:

      I use a spreadsheet and do the work to put in real numbers including relevant competition to know what occupancy and nightly rates are for similar properties so that a mobile home isn't lumped into the mix.

      I'd be interested in knowing how you do this if you don't mind sharing with me. 

       As an Engineer, I used spreadsheets everyday.

      The easiest way is to google STR spreadsheet. There should be some in this forum also that people have uploaded.

      Google the "enemy method " and you will find You tube videos that explain checking pricing of your potential comparable properties.


       There is an old story:

      A General conducts a study during the Korean War (which war is not important) to measure where each returning aircraft took damage (was shot). They measured many air craft over several months, wrote a report that documented where the most planes took damage to determine where to add extra armor.

      The general is prowd of the study thinking it will save lives and is announcing the findings. Some senior sergeants are having discussions as the general is presenting his findings. The general is unhappy with the lack of respect and asks the sergeants what was so important to be discussing.

      They are reluctant to say anything but the general is not accepting not being told so he pushes for an answer. One of the sergeants says you took the measurements on the planes that returned.

      The implication is that is not where the armor was needed.

      It is not important if the story is true or not.

      What is important is to recognize each OTA only provides search results of the available units. My units are getting close to their previous highest occupancy (meaning virtually full occupancy). Unless you look just as we open another month, you are unlikely to see our high occupancy units in your search results.

      The enemy method has the same issue as the plane story. Your search results return the available (unbooked) units, not the booked units.  Do you want to compare either the available units or would you prefer to compare with the booked (unsvailable) units?

      Good luck


       This is true, but you find nearby unbooked dates on their calendar to get prices that should be similar enough to use.

      My two highest occupancy STRs book very quickly after opening up the next month window.   Unless you got quite lucky in your search timing and criteria, they would not show up in an enemy method search especially in the high season.  

      The enemy method only shows STRs that are available to be booked per your search criteria.   The more interesting STRs to see are the ones already reserved (unavailable for your search criteria).

      something to ponder 

      good luck

       If you search 5 similar properties and take an average you can make it work.

      This is much more reliable than Airdna.


       You will get 5 properties that are available for your search criteria.   You may miss the cream of the top.  My 2 highest occupancy properties just opened for Oct (excluding that they are open at crazy rates for the local Olympic soccer matches)   If you searched for anything before Oct, you would be unlikely to get those 2 units in your enemy method search and if you did return those 2 units, you would get the gap rate pricing and not the regular pricing,

      I am unsure that enemy method will do better than airdna but have always felt the airdna data should not be total revenue.   Short stay policies can result in higher cleaner fees with respect to revenue.

      My pms charged based me based on rent, my co-host charges me based on income.   short stays can result in a lot of the income going to the cleaners.

      The airDNa policy makes it difficult to determine STR Rate. You would need to know cleaners fee and number of reservations to subtract out to obtain STR rent.

      So airDNa also has challenges deriving useful numbers.

      I would love a full breakdown by one of these data sites. This much STR base rate, this much for extras (pet fees, early/late check-in/check-out, rentals). This much for cleaners.

      When I do my initial underwriting, my preference is to get a number from the top PM or co-host in that market.   They always provide a range.  I use the lower part of the range.   Unfortunately co-host usually quote revenue so same issue as airdna.  



       Yep, that's why you check multiple properties and them check a few times throughout the year for changes or more info.

      I used to have hyperlinks in my spreadsheet so I could quickly get to my comp set and check them.

      Then I already had formulas in my spreadsheet to to produce the numbers I needed.

      I broke it out by weekends, weedays, holiday weekends or weeks.

      On Season vs Off Season etc so I could quickly get reliable data to use.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5mo

    I am an engineer like @John Underwood and I do the exact same thing.

    I have tried various tools and have found them wildly optimistic for the areas we have been looking.

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 73 posts · 43 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      I am an engineer like @John Underwood and I do the exact same thing.

      I have tried various tools and have found them wildly optimistic for the areas we have been looking.

      I found videos on the "enemy method" and learning it already. I'm likely going to be using it more for myself. Thanks 
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    I like AirDNA but only if you have the paid version.  This will help you find the best comps for the subject property so you can properly bracket the projection to the subject property.

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 73 posts · 43 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

      I like AirDNA but only if you have the paid version.  This will help you find the best comps for the subject property so you can properly bracket the projection to the subject property.

      Unfortunately, many relies on the free version. I have BNB paid, and compare results with Airdna (Free). I'm always surprised when a client prefers to go with Airdna comps.
  • Member since 2023 · 78 posts · 37 votes
    5mo

    I usually use AirDNA for market trends and BNBCalc for deal projections, since combining both gives a more grounded view. Projections are helpful as a starting compass, not a crystal ball. I typically give them moderate weight and always cross-check with real listings, seasonality, and local regulations. In practice, real performance often lands 10–20% below projections, so a bit of healthy skepticism keeps deals safer.

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 35 votes
    5mo

    @Maria Molu

    Are any of them friendly to newer investors? Or do you recommend one over the other?

    • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 73 posts · 43 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Edward Dandrea:

      @Maria Molu

      Are any of them friendly to newer investors? Or do you recommend one over the other?

      That's exactly where I am coming from. I'm in a situation where I have to decide, thus I brought this topic up. I would have prefer something like a traditional method (the enemy method @John Underwood made mention of is looking like it). However, if i am to recommend, I'd prefer Bnb calc, because it pulls raw data from hospitable to organise top comps and show the projections. Although,I have not tried using paid Airdna. In my opinion, it's different strokes for different folks so I usually do my computations, check through similar listings in the said location, but the decision is left for the investor to take. Short term hosting is more of strategies rather than relying on projections in my view. 
  • Virtual Assistant · Abuja, Nigeria | Remote · Member since 2026 · 75 posts · 28 votes
    5mo

    Since I started sourcing STR arbitrage properties, I've consistently used AirDNA and Bnbcalc for analysis, and none of my clients have had complaints so far. Most clients also tend to specifically request AirDNA when reviewing deals.

    That said, I don’t rely on projections blindly. I use them as a strong baseline, while also factoring in market research, comps, and conservative estimates.

    In my experience, these tools are directionally accurate, but actual performance depends heavily on execution; pricing strategy, listing optimization, and overall guest experience.

    I've also been learning from what others are saying about using STR spreadsheets for analysis mentioned here — at the end of the day, no knowledge is a waste.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.