Value of Staying in your STR

Value of Staying in your STR

MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

There is value in staying in our properties. I recently found storm door catch broken, small blood stain on quilt, dirt on sham (like who actually uses communal pillows?) and small leak under toilet upon flushing. All things that need to be addressed and could potentially damage reviews or my property in the case of leak. 

5Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5mo

Dude I am 100% believer in this! No one, and I repeat, no one, no matter how good they are, will find everything going on with your STR in a cleaning cycle. I make it a habit to visit my properties regularly and there is ALWAYS something, maybe not huge, but ALWAYS something that needs to be addressed.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Dude I am 100% believer in this! No one, and I repeat, no one, no matter how good they are, will find everything going on with your STR in a cleaning cycle. I make it a habit to visit my properties regularly and there is ALWAYS something, maybe not huge, but ALWAYS something that needs to be addressed.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Agreed, I stay in mine every year and find a long list of things that need repair or cleaning.  I go there and purposely look for things that are loose, broken, need paint touch up, etc. Like you, I sometimes find stains on linens that the cleaners missed.  I also go through the silverware, dishes, and pots and pans and find some need to be rewashed because guests put them away when they weren't quite clean.  Last year, I had a plumber go through the entire house and replace every water valve on sinks and toilets to head off any leaks, because the house is now 20 years old and some of the valves were getting corroded from the salt air.  

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Lauren Kormylo:

      Agreed, I stay in mine every year and find a long list of things that need repair or cleaning.  I go there and purposely look for things that are loose, broken, need paint touch up, etc. Like you, I sometimes find stains on linens that the cleaners missed.  I also go through the silverware, dishes, and pots and pans and find some need to be rewashed because guests put them away when they weren't quite clean.  Last year, I had a plumber go through the entire house and replace every water valve on sinks and toilets to head off any leaks, because the house is now 20 years old and some of the valves were getting corroded from the salt air.  


       Ugh the dirty dishes put back in cabinet makes me nuts. I wash everything before I use it whether at mine or someone else's. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5mo

    Absolutely!

    No one will care and find things like you!

  • Mike GrudzienPro Member
    Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    I do this regularly (but I live next door!)

  • Contractor · Dallas TX · Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    5mo

    I like this idea. I am looking into investing in my first STR or MTR and this makes a lot of sense! Keeping this one in mind. Thank you.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5mo

    I am getting ready to head over and work for at least a week on our place. 2025 was rough...

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      I am getting ready to head over and work for at least a week on our place. 2025 was rough...


       Oddly enough with both wear and tear as well as maintenance it seems when it rains it pours. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    As part of onboarding our manager spends the first night in the house.  I do not have enough staff to have them do overnights annually but it is important at first set up to catch any anomalies and as an owner it is a good idea at least annually.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @Jules Aton Absolutely, there is real value in being hands-on. Those small issues if missed can turn into bigger repairs or negative reviews.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5mo

    I stay in ours probably 4 or 5 weeks per year, doing repairs & improvements and fixing things that the guests have broken. Since it's in Florida I try to time it when it's freezing cold here 😄

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.