Hi all, as a real estate agent in Napa I wanted to comment on what I've seen from some of my clients. As a vacation destination, I have many clients that want a home for 31> days e.g. for the summer, for Christmas, etc. Many clients and buyers have been coming to Napa Valley every summer for years before finally deciding to buy, and they love the idea of renting a house or estate. I wouldn't say this market (31> days) is as hot as the 30< days vacation rental market, but there is interest. Also, this would be considered just a month-to-month rental, and wouldn't fall under vacation rental regulations.
Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
In such communities with tight controls, I would get the City to comment on 30-day short term rentals, or better still, get a precise definition of "short term rental" as they see it. They might consider it as any term less than one week.
You have a link to the Ordinance there, so you can dig as deep as you want. Based upon what I'm seeing there, Napa is doing the same thing with Vacation Rentals as they've previously done with banquet facility permits - an extremely limited supply, given to the highest bidder and biggest name.
The idea (yours) is great - vacation rentals could be absolutely killer in Napa, and I would jump behind that investment today if it were legislatively feasible. The kind of money one could make, however, will certainly be noticeable, and it's not something to try flying under the radar.
Since you're looking into >31 day leases, can I ask why? Or rather, why you're seeing a market for this in the Napa area? Properties leasing for 31+ days are still offered every day on Airbnb and similar websites, but I'm not sure that I really see the draw for such an extended (and yet, short-term) stay in Napa.
Hi all, as a real estate agent in Napa I wanted to comment on what I've seen from some of my clients. As a vacation destination, I have many clients that want a home for 31> days e.g. for the summer, for Christmas, etc. Many clients and buyers have been coming to Napa Valley every summer for years before finally deciding to buy, and they love the idea of renting a house or estate. I wouldn't say this market (31> days) is as hot as the 30< days vacation rental market, but there is interest. Also, this would be considered just a month-to-month rental, and wouldn't fall under vacation rental regulations.
Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 62 votes
6y
My company manages many licensed vacation rentals in Napa Valley. In 2008 the city of Napa issued roughly 150 permits to homeowners for overnight accommodations. Those permits were not transferrable, so once a house was sold the permit was retired, permanently. In 2017 the remaining 40 permit holders lobbied the local government to make the remaining permits transferrable. The city council passed an amendment to allow transferability on those permits in 2017, BUT those permits are tied to the deed and cannot be transferred to another property. So you must purchase one of the 40 houses with the permit in place. Currently, only one such property is for sale https://www.zillow.com/homedet...
Short term rentals are not allowed anywhere outside city limits in Napa County. Napa Valley is VERY hostile in policing non-permitted short term rentals. Both the city of Napa and Napa County has hired a 3rd party company and scours the internet, does research, and probably makes fake bookings to find offenders and then report them to city/county officials. https://hostcompliance.com/
Napa Valley holds the distinction of being the only location in the United States that has actually arrested and imprisoned an operator of a non-permitted short term rental. Others have been fined as much as $150,000
I have never met anyone in Napa Valley who has run a furnished 30> monthly rental and was pleased with that investment. Not to mention your investment is then covered by draconian Bay Area tenant laws which include a current moratorium on evictions.