Orlando-area Airbnb experience?

Orlando-area Airbnb experience?

Karen MillerPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
Hello BP community! I'm wondering if anyone has any experience owning a property near Disney for the sole purpose of renting it out on Airbnb? I have used Airbnb for my travel accommodation but never hosted. I live and work in the area, so I would look to manage it myself and just hire cleaners. Searching my Airbnb app for the equivalent of what I'd buy, there seems to be a lot of competition but when I check these properties' availability calendar, many are nearly full. Is this a reliable way to determine demand? Also, do you have to pay the sales tax and bed tax? Any insight would be much appreciated!
3Reply
130 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent / Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 36 votes
7y

@Joann Lim, Fairview Shores is a real residential neighborhood.  The city of Orlando, and some of the outlining areas have strict regulations on Airbnb's in residential areas.  In addition, like @Shawn G. mentioned, personally, I wouldn't Airbnb in this neighborhood.  I feel a lot like @Ken Latchers, I have a genuine passion for STR. Although I am making a great profit, I am serious about how I manage my STR and treat it as a business. I am VERY hands on and take each guest visit personal. As a real estate agent in Orlando, I usually suggest that Buyer's sit down and explain to me why they want to own and how their lifestyle plays into owning a specific property in Central Florida. Joann, what are your goals for ownership in Orlando? Are YOU planning on being hands on with LTR or STR? Are you going to be living here? Are you planning to manage the property yourself? Lastly, like Ken suggested, there are great resources out there to do good, solid market research. You definitely need a game plan and to understand what you are trying to achieve.

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · London, United Kingdom · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Kaynea Bingham

    Hi Everyone,

    Thanks for all the good advice.

    I'm an expat in the UK and would like to invest in the Orlando area but don't know much about it other than it being a tourist town. I found a place in the Fairview Shores area is this area too far to bring in high yields for a STR? TIA

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 207 posts · 125 votes
    7y

    @Joann Lim Fairview Shores is not a place I would buy for STR. It is not only far away but parts of it are run down.

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y

    I am not a fan of being far from my STRs, and I bought one of my buildings from someone in North Ireland who was tired of being somewhat helpless being so far removed from his place.

    I would suggest you run your proposed property and area through mashvisor, airdna, Airbnb, VRBO to get an idea. They will give you estimates on projected revenue. Look at similar properties on listing sites at their future prices and calendars. They are imperfect, but it will give you a sense. 

    There is always a market, even if small, not far from you. I purchase low cost properties in reasonably visited towns with reasonable prices. I believe I make more than the average return than hot markets like the Smokies, Florida, etc. I gross $70k+ on a $135k purchase and approx $130k on a $280k purchase.

    I pay no prop manager and manage them both. I live a block from each. 

    It is not the location. It is the strategy. I 

  • Rental Property Investor · London, United Kingdom · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Ken Latchers @Shawn G.

    Thanks guys for the advice. 

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y

    I don't do vacation rentals just for the money... I have enough. The focus only on money won't keep someone out of the graveyard. It is the journey as much as the destination. As some say, a life well lived. 

    I do them also for the experience. I like finding them, I like staging them, I like theming them, I like prepping them, I like automating them, optimizing them, running them, interacting with guests at times, providing an amazing experience. 

    It is part of the reason I am concerned what we say that draws the inexperienced in. The focus on Arbitrage, scaling rapidly, easy riches, remote, PMS, "works for me" is tiring. 

    It is not about profit. It is about risk adjusted profit. There are no guarantees in STR, especially for newbs.

    Every building is one meth lab, one disaster, one delisting, one dishonest/disastrous PM, insurers who will no longer cover old wiring, one sudden change in regulations, one set of neighbors upset by several parties at your place,  slammed by a series of bad reviews, a surge of rentals driving rents way down, etc away from severe trouble. As in Gatlinburg fires or CA earthquake or a FL SINKHOLE or some idiot installs hidden cams in your place, etc. 

    • Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 5 votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

      I don't do vacation rentals just for the money... I have enough. The focus only on money won't keep someone out of the graveyard. It is the journey as much as the destination. As some say, a life well lived. 

      I do them also for the experience. I like finding them, I like staging them, I like theming them, I like prepping them, I like automating them, optimizing them, running them, interacting with guests at times, providing an amazing experience. 

      It is part of the reason I am concerned what we say that draws the inexperienced in. The focus on Arbitrage, scaling rapidly, easy riches, remote, PMS, "works for me" is tiring. 

      It is not about profit. It is about risk adjusted profit. There are no guarantees in STR, especially for newbs.

      Every building is one meth lab, one disaster, one delisting, one dishonest/disastrous PM, insurers who will no longer cover old wiring, one sudden change in regulations, one set of neighbors upset by several parties at your place,  slammed by a series of bad reviews, a surge of rentals driving rents way down, etc away from severe trouble. As in Gatlinburg fires or CA earthquake or a FL SINKHOLE or some idiot installs hidden cams in your place, etc. 

      loved the reply :). Bitter truth. On the spot.

  • Real Estate Agent / Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    @Joann Lim, Fairview Shores is a real residential neighborhood.  The city of Orlando, and some of the outlining areas have strict regulations on Airbnb's in residential areas.  In addition, like @Shawn G. mentioned, personally, I wouldn't Airbnb in this neighborhood.  I feel a lot like @Ken Latchers, I have a genuine passion for STR. Although I am making a great profit, I am serious about how I manage my STR and treat it as a business. I am VERY hands on and take each guest visit personal. As a real estate agent in Orlando, I usually suggest that Buyer's sit down and explain to me why they want to own and how their lifestyle plays into owning a specific property in Central Florida. Joann, what are your goals for ownership in Orlando? Are YOU planning on being hands on with LTR or STR? Are you going to be living here? Are you planning to manage the property yourself? Lastly, like Ken suggested, there are great resources out there to do good, solid market research. You definitely need a game plan and to understand what you are trying to achieve.

  • Rental Property Investor · London, United Kingdom · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Ken Latchers @Kaynea Bingham thank you for your input its much appreciated.

    My goal is to buy and hold long term for cash flow in the states either via LTR or STR. I have a small family that would like to visit the Orlando on holiday 1-2 times a year and thought owning a STR would fit our immediate needs. As we live in the UK I would not be hands-on and would need a PM and team to assist me in this endeavour. Seems like you and @Ken Latchers both agree that it may be difficult owning and managing a STR while being in a different country. 

    Would it benefit us more to start with a LTR in the Orlando area and get my feet wet? TIA

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y

    I bought a six family long term rental from a man in North Ireland. After some years, he got out because he felt helpless and beholden to a property manager.

    That's part of the reason why I push back against some of the people here who make remote ownership sound so easy. It is almost always a bad idea for new s. Yes, if you ignore the many possible risks and problems...

    I once went thru three property managers

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hello All! Jumping onto the thread, I was wondering if anyone had some insights as to the best areas to look into STR properties? I'm only slightly familiar with the Orlando area. Also, does anyone have experience with live in STR? (I.e. simply airbnbing out rooms in your residence?) I doubt that I have the capital to purchase a place for myself AND for an STR—unless I went through the option of going through a management agency and, as I live abroad, I gather that that's not the best option? On another note, do property management companies look kindly on only managing properties for half of the year? Any advice would be much appreciated!

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Love the discussion so far on this thread about Airbnb rentals in the Orlando market. Thanks for the content. Happy deal hunting :) 

  • Investor · Tampa · Member since 2018 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    6y

    @Kaynea Bingham I sent you a private message about this thread

  • Matawan, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi all! Joining the discussion. I am very interested in purchasing a place STR, any suggestions near Disney area? Thanks

  • Investor · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 72 votes
    5y
    We have 3 in the Orlando area so feel free to DM me if you want to exchange numbers.  Happy to help however I can!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.