St. Augustine FL property managers & House Cleaning service provi

St. Augustine FL property managers & House Cleaning service provi

Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes

I am looking to connect with house cleaning service providers for short term rentals in St Augustine. I am considering using Team Property Mgmt Co (they are local to the area, a plus). Others I have considered are Evolve and Rented. I do like the hands-on contact with my renters, which is how I've done it elsewhere where I am local to the property. I'd still like that contact however I'm not sure about decreased amount of bookings by doing in myself.  I currently have great success with airbnb, which is the only platform I use.

0Reply
64 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y

    If your in the vacation rental market you need to be using VRBO  or Homeaway.com. They make it so simple that I don't need a PM. I also have a AirBnB account, but it doesn't compare to the amount of bookings that come via homeaway.

    Then again I have searched and not many people using AirBnB for similar Lake front homes in my area.

    In my opinion and experience Millennial are more likely to use AirBnB and middle aged couples and families who are going on vacation or are traveling use Homeaway.com. after all they are looking to rent the whole house not just a room (as there commercial states). I get more traffic from Craigslist than my AirBnB account.

    I have AirBnB set to sync to my homeaway.com calendar so that I don't get double booked.

    Lockbox WiFi thermostats and a great maid service is all that I need to be very successful and not need a PM.

    This is just my experience.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kingston NY · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    John - so interesting what you wrote. Can you explain in more detail what you meant with "lockbox, wifi thermostats and great maid" - lockbox for keys, and smart home wifi thermostats controlled?

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    9y

    @Marcia Langley

    I think what @John Underwood means is he uses a lockbox to hold the house keys (unless it's a combination on the lockbox- I'm not sure) and something like Nest to be able to control his heat and air conditioning settings remotely. I am currently trying to research and decide which wifi thermostat system to buy so maybe John will specify. I'd imagine you would need to identify a few reliable cleaning services too.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y

    @Nancy Bachety @Marcia Langley

    I use a combination lockbox for the keys. I haven't jumped to a combo wifi door lock yet. A good old lock box doesn't use batteries so less things to maintain or fail.

    I use the Honeywell RTH 9580 wifi thermostats. I have one upstairs and one downstairs.

    I can set it to email me high low temperature and humidity alerts. 

    I did a lot of research before picking this one.

    https://www.google.com/#q=honeywell+9000+thermosta...

    The nest is a learning remote. I don't want it guessing what I or my guest want and getting it wrong. I just want to set it and forget it. Then when no one is there I can adjust the temp to conserve energy.

    I also installed a Digital Watchdog Camera on the front exterior. You buy software licenses for how many cameras you want to use. I installed software on a laptop and added license.

    I can set up zones in camera field of vision to look for motion and when detected it sends me an email with a picture of what triggered the motion.

    I can then go to my computer or my phone and rewind video or see live video of my front yard. I can make sure the group size and any pets are as agreed.

    I'll eventually put a camera in the back yard so I can keep an eye on my dock, boat and jet skiis.

    Love, Love, Love the camera system.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    9y

    @John Underwood Thank you for your insights. I'll look into both of them. We bought one to try from Costco but haven't done set it up yet.  It sounds like you developed a great system that works for you.  Are your rentals (rental) in South Carolina as well? 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y

    @Nancy Bachety

    Yes our vacation rental is on Lake Hartwell in Seneca, SC.

    We are close to Clemson University so this drives more rentals such as Graduation, Football games etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    9y

    @John Underwood It's fabulous and 49 5 star reviews too! Our daughter was a Gamecock so we never made it over to Seneca. I haven't explored on homeaway yet. Thanks.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 306 posts · 205 votes
    9y

    @Nancy Bachety I currently manage my property remote and my suggestion is to research a cleaning provider that specifically works with vacation rentals. It's a different standard of cleaning for a STR and you want the guests to get that hotel-like experience with the clean.

    I also recommend asking what they charge per clean and adding a small percentage on top. Let them know that this is because you want them to do a great job and you'd like to build a long-lasting business relationship with them and be able to refer them to other owners in the area. I did this with my cleaner and she was so shocked and thankful. She watches my property and reports everything to me (including photos) so that I don't need a property manager. The best part about it, is that I pass the cleaning fee completely along to the guest so it's a win-win-win for me!

  • Rental Property Investor · North Fork, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 631 votes
    9y

    @Ariel Smith That's a great idea. I don't know any one, literally, in the area. I've looked up on Craigslist and online to start getting names for next week when I'm there. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.