Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 565 posts · 391 votes
We are experiencing heat wave right now in LA (and other areas in the state and in the country), where the A/Cs are not totally efficient. Some areas have even experienced power outage during the most part of the week-end.
How do you handle situations where the host is not responsible for the issues but at the end, the guest's experience is far from being good.
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
9y
I like @John Underwood's comment, discount on their next stay. I think this falls under the "Acts of God" clause since it is out of your control and I would think guests would understand this. The other option would be to notify them ahead of their arrival that this might occur and the reasoning for it. This would be my strategy to be "above board" with my guests.
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
9y
Power outage may be a rolling blackout to keep electrical usage down during the day. That's beyond your control. Why would you pay for something that's beyond your control?
The alternative would be to upgrade the house to a natural gas generator to kick on when the power goes out - but you're looking at about a $3,500 bill for the equipment plus an electrician's time.
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
9y
I like @John Underwood's comment, discount on their next stay. I think this falls under the "Acts of God" clause since it is out of your control and I would think guests would understand this. The other option would be to notify them ahead of their arrival that this might occur and the reasoning for it. This would be my strategy to be "above board" with my guests.
I like @Account Closed 's comment about a generator. It would be a tax write off and if it is a big a problem it would solve your problem and keep guests happy.
You might be able to sell additional last minute days to locals or other travelers who want to find some Air conditioning.
You could search other peoples VRBO or Airbnb comments for your area and see if anyone has commented on this issue.
At least be up front with people and let them know this could happen. People don't tend to get upset about potential issues if they are forwarned and still choose to book your place.
This would be pricey but Geothermal units use less electricity which would save on your utility bill and require a smaller generator to run the unit. There may be some energy tax credits for some of these options.
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 306 posts · 205 votes
9y
@Kevin Lefeuvre has this already happened to you or are you speaking hypothetically? It's tough because reviews are so important to your business with short term rentals so if it were me, I'd be inclined to try to compensate in some way if there were anything I could do. However, there are things beyond your control and guests do need to realize that they are not in a hotel, but rather in someone's home where things do happen.
Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 77 votes
9y
What would you want in that situation? It is not your fault and it is not their fault. Personally if I was in the guest situation I would not "expect" the host to do anything crazy. but would be quite impressed if they reached out and offered some small refund or discount on a future stay I would be impressed. you did not mention if they are being jerks about it; that makes it difficult to want to help.
I agree with @Ariel Smith. Good or Bad, AirBNB is a review-centric platform. If the renter does leave a terrible over the top review I beleive there is a process on AirBnB to have it removed. If you can show you offered something and tried to make it right it gives to the upper hand.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 565 posts · 391 votes
9y
Thanks everyone! As I read you, the clear feedback from you guys seems to be : no refund, maybe a little refund to be nice and avoid ruining the 5 stars, or discount for future.
@John Underwood , @Michael Greenberg this property has not much returning guests, first because it has less than a year history (don't know yet), 2nd because it is in the city, most guests are "tourists", average 3/4 nights visiting (mostly discovering) attractions such as Hollywood, Universal Studios, LA Zoo, Disney,... I am not counting on a lot of revisits, even though I have started collecting emails... we'll see. @Account Closed real case for weak A/C given the heat, hypothetical for power outage (but not far, since the whole area north of LA was out of power during the week-end, under 110F heat!!! Not fun! ).
Yes Ken, I consider they acted in an unusual way. Here's more since you are asking for the full story : They booked 6 nights staying here for holidays but also finding a place for the son who just got a job and looks for a rental and will be living in LA. Couple in their 50s coming from out of state, with their freshly graduate son. I have explained the weak A/C in the listing and wrote them that I have added 2 fans. Night 2 at 2 am he asks where is the 2nd fan, he can't sleep. I was exceptionally not sleeping so I wrote back right away where to look (it's not a palace, they could have found). He thanks for the fast response. I ask if a 3rd fan would be needed, he says no, all is good. In the morning of day 4 he sends a message saying we are out! Can't stand the heat!!! I was shocked and asked why he said all is good if all was not good. ... In my message I listed all the neighborhoods in LA that broke historic records of heat and that it's out of my control. And that I am considering the replacement of the A/C installation for a more powerful one, and considering other alternatives, sending him a copy of my appointment confirmations. He ended up explicitly asking for a refund, writing: "... this should be open to some sort of refund. At least a gesture that says it's a bad situation for everyone." and my response was: "If you had brought up the issue in a serious way, I would have fixed it. You didn't give me the chance to fix it." After posting here, and reviewing the story, I suspect they found the rental for the son and left to stay a few days there, and tried to use this heat pretext to get a refund. Also on the day I received his text, I went to Home Depot, bought 2 portable A/Cs installed them and sent him the pics, saying it's fixed. So not only I had warned you in the listing and in private message before arrival, but I went the extra mile for you. If you left because of the heat, now you can return. :) He didn't reply, and that is the end of conversation for now.
So yes I am risking my 35 x 5-star reviews (and only 1 x 4 stars) with this bad case. Maybe I'll be able to remove it with airbnb (you guys think it's possible?). My economic reasoning is the following: July is 100% booked. About $250 per night. So I don't wanna lose 3 nights that others would love to rent. If he was that sensitive to heat, he should not have rented my property. And if there is one bad review among 35, the reader can easily guess who's the jerk, right? According to my simulation, even if he gives me one star, I won't lose my superhost logo. At this point I don't intend to refund anything. If he had not acted in such an abrupt way, I would definitely refund a little bit, like $50 or $100 max as a gesture, but given his abrupt departure, I am not sure ... Does the full story change your opinion/comment?
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
9y
@Kevin Lefeuvre - understood on non-returning guests. Are you saying he gave you a 4 star or a 1 star review? As I'm sure you're aware you can respond to any guest comments, but my advice would be to just rise above it the best that you can in those comments don't get defensive, be kind - understanding - and stick to the facts and even mention the heat wave/black out potential. It will help with future prospective guests. I also would contact AIrbnb yourself and have them review the situation with you. I have found them to be good at helping to handle these situations. If it's in your description and he still rented from you, then I feel it's on the guest. I would work hard to resolve the situation for the next guest, especially because of the unfortunate heat wave.
Investor · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2015 · 278 posts · 155 votes
9y
@Kevin Lefeuvre, after reading through some more of the posts, I think the right way to handle the situation is to set expectations correctly. Just tell them what it's like in this time of the year in LA regarding rolling brownouts, AC and the heat.
I find people are generally more accepting of that after they are told.
For example, one of my AirBnB units is in a complex thats going through some cosmetic renovations on the outside, and we had to go in and replace windows to double pane (eep!). I told them before hand that it might be happening and when the time came they were totally fine with it.
Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 10 votes
9y
@Kevin Lefeuvre if they post a negative review, you have the guest screenshot stating"all is good" as well as the time stamp on the receipt for the purchase of the 2 AC units showing your intent to cure the heat issue with the guest.
If anything less than a 5 star review should post of their stay, you now have the data to contest it and hopefully have it removed.
Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 77 votes
9y
This has been very helpful as I have some concerns about an AirBNB property I am buying in the mountains. I told my wife, I guarantee someone will complain when the roads are slick trying to get to a ski location. I know it will happen. They will act like while they are surprised when trying to get to a cabin in the mountains, in winter, to go skiing the roads were slick. In reading @Andrew Wong comment about expectations, I am going to try and figure a way to make sure people recognize travel conditions can change and to make smart decisions (without scaring people off in thinking they will never make it up the mountain).
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 306 posts · 205 votes
9y
@Kevin Lefeuvre thanks for the explanation! I think your assumptions are probably correct in that they probably found another place to stay and are looking to refund their money. I would not refund in your case and just try not to respond anymore and definitely don't leave them a review (it will prompt them to review you) and hopefully they just do not review at all. You did all you could and even went above and beyond in my opinion!
Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
When things don't go right with my rentals, I usually ask the customer what would make it right. Then I go with that. Or I suggest something to them and ask them if it seems fair.
You need to get the customers input on what it takes to make things right.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 13 votes
9y
I offer a small discount or a small gift/gesture. Sending a bottle of wine/champagne and an apology/thank you card for their patience and understanding. For things like cold/heat snaps, I am sure to have back up fans/space heaters to use in emergency situations and have it available for guests or easily accessible that they can grab themselves if I am not available to deliver it.
Property Manager · Aurora, CO · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 210 votes
9y
I usually always give some kind of small refund. We recently had to have a repair technician in one of our properties to fix a leaky refrigerator and so I refunded $50 to the guest for the inconvenience. Once the AC went out in September in one of our FL properties and it took a couple of days to get a new system installed. I gave that guest a refund for the nights that they were there without A/C.
@Ken Dillard, we have a VR in the mountains in CO so I include the text below in my cancellation policy on my rental agreement. Maybe it might help you out:
Storm Policy/Road Conditions
No refunds will be given for storms. Mountain roads are curvy and steep and severe weather can occur at any time. Local roads are well maintained, however we highly recommend four wheel drive and/or chains during the snow months. We do not refund due to road conditions.
We recognize that unforeseen events do occur, which is why we highly recommend trip Insurance, available when you make your reservation or most anytime before your arrival (restrictions apply.) See http://www.csatravelprotection.com for details about this coverage.