Choosing a mattress for a STR

Choosing a mattress for a STR

Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes

Hey All!


Setting up an Air BNB, looking for a new mattress that provides good value. Looks like many people are going with self expanding mattress's Tuft and Needle, Casper, Nest, etc. The conflicting reviews makes it seem impossible to determine what's actually a solid mattress that will hold up, just when I think I've found the one I find some pretty convincing reviews and pics that make it seem like a bad product.

So, any first hand experiences with a mattress you're really happy with in your STR?

1Reply
254 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
8y

Hi @Tucker Long!  I worked for a company called Sleep Train on the west coast for 20 years until we were acquired by Mattress Firm a few years back. The convenience and price of the 'bed in a box' brands is certainly appealing and actually sort of easy to put into your pro forma as you can just assume you will need a new one every 3-5 years probably and just blend it into your op ex budget.  

However, for me and having a mattress background (and availability to discounted high end mattresses) I went with a more resilient innnerspring/memory foam option for the 3 beds in our VR.  Something similar to the Beautyrest Black Hybrids.  They are not cheap but they have 10 year warrantyies and my guests seem to really like the way they feel. (remember you can always make a bed softer but not firmer, so go with a firmer feel and provide some additional padding as needed)  

I would say the most important thing to buy is a mattress protector however.  I use the ones that actually zip up around the bed (Protect A Bed brand) and the box spring to not only protect the warranty and quality of the mattress BUT they also have the added benefit of preventing bed bugs from colonizing in the mattress.  

Good luck on your bed search!  

Cheers!

~Jon

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    have been buying 10" gel foam mattresses. Even bought one for myself and am very happy. The brand is something with z... Can't think of it now. If you do a search in amazon under gel foam mattress it should pop up. Zumin or something. Around 250 or so for queen. Smaller sizes and depth are less.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Haven't had any problems with off gasing and bad smell. Takes a day to fill up to right depth

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hi @Tucker Long!  I worked for a company called Sleep Train on the west coast for 20 years until we were acquired by Mattress Firm a few years back. The convenience and price of the 'bed in a box' brands is certainly appealing and actually sort of easy to put into your pro forma as you can just assume you will need a new one every 3-5 years probably and just blend it into your op ex budget.  

    However, for me and having a mattress background (and availability to discounted high end mattresses) I went with a more resilient innnerspring/memory foam option for the 3 beds in our VR.  Something similar to the Beautyrest Black Hybrids.  They are not cheap but they have 10 year warrantyies and my guests seem to really like the way they feel. (remember you can always make a bed softer but not firmer, so go with a firmer feel and provide some additional padding as needed)  

    I would say the most important thing to buy is a mattress protector however.  I use the ones that actually zip up around the bed (Protect A Bed brand) and the box spring to not only protect the warranty and quality of the mattress BUT they also have the added benefit of preventing bed bugs from colonizing in the mattress.  

    Good luck on your bed search!  

    Cheers!

    ~Jon

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thank you both for the feedback, much appreciated. Looked at both options, something in between your price points might be ideal :p

    @Jon Crosby Thanks for the expertise, can you recommend a traditional mattress under $700 in queen? Is that just trying to be too cheap? 

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Tucker Long you can certainly find something for under $700 for a queen, but once again, like anything out there you get what you pay for so I wouldn't expect a $700 queen set to last as long as a $1500-2000 set.  I would focus on spending a little more in the master bedroom and maybe drop down to the $700 range for the guest rooms (if that's how your place is laid out).  

    When people used to ask me for the sub $1000 queen set, I would almost always send them to Costco to find one as we couldn't compete with that price point for that quality level.  The bed @Michaela G. is talking about is probably Zinus which you can buy on Amazon.  

    You could always do a bed in a box for the guest rooms and something a little nicer for the master as well and maybe that will be your Costco purchase.  I would just focus on where the people that are going to write the reviews sleep and make sure it's an 'experience' to sleep there. ;) 

    Thanks!

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Buy a new mattress set for yourself and save the receipt. Donate your old set to your STR. It would be illegal to claim the new mattress as a tax deduction. In 2 or 3 years, buy another mattress set for yourself, throw away the mattress set in the STR, then put your 2 or 3 year old mattress set in the STR and use the receipt as a tax deduction.

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    More mattress info then you'd ever need... but easy to digest and compare prices.

    https://sleepopolis.com/

    Once you have a better clue of the actual mattress... far more info

    http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

  • David J LepardPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    We have Casper at home and its held up extremely well for almost 2 years. At our STR we have Zinus mattresses (referenced above) bought on amazon for 1/4 the price. No complaints so far--they off gas way less than the Casper.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    zinus....that's it. Thanks David

  • Rental Property Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    Tuft and Needle people loved them and I think they are cheap and should hold up well. Double agree with a good mattress protector. 

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 279 votes
    8y

    I pay around $500 for queen mattresses at SAMS club.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Paul Sandhu Why would it be illegal to claim a new mattress as a deduction, if it’s being used for business purposes? (And why could you claim it after 2-3 years?) Genuinely curious, especially since my STR has four new mattresses in it (since I bought/furnished it this year)
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Julie McCoy Because you are using it for personal use initially.  

  • Peter R.Pro Member
    Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 152 posts · 86 votes
    8y

    I did the same as @Chris Moore Tuft & Needle and a good waterproof mattress protector.  There was an...incident...where we had to replace a T&N Mattress same day with an off the shelf model from a local mattress store due to the guests having 4 more days at the property but it's universally disliked by guests vs. the T&N ones we have in every other bedroom.  We'll probably replace that at the mid cycle cleaning break next year. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 155 posts · 68 votes
    8y

    I buy  this mattress for all our furnished rentals and regularly get comments on how comfortable it is. I second everyone's comments about the importance of mattress protectors on all matresses.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Memory-Foam-Green-Mat...

    i have like 10 of these. Everyone loves them. Don't go used it's gross. With these matresses in my cabins I know that 

    A: if they complain about the mattress they're just d*cks 

    B: if they manage to puke through a matress protector AND a bed bud incasement or pee the bed after cutting holes through my water proof barriers... I'm only out $300 for a king and it only takes me 2 days to get another one. 

    why the hell doesn't this have spell check 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Hey all,

    Just an update for those lost and confused on a mattress hunt. Went with a firm, SPRING Ikea mattress for $250. Extremely impressed, have had a friend sleeping on it for a week, he loves it. Will put a foam/pillow top on so guests feel it's soft enough. 

  • Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Just ordered my new Queen mattress from Purple.  This is supposed to be the mattress of all mattresses.  For those of you wanting to impress your AirBNB guests, I would highly recommend....and go all in!  They have the mattress protector and the bamboo sheets that allow the most movement to go along with the mattress.  LOVE IT!

    If you google Purple mattress, you will find them.  They have cool videos that show you all about the technology and even compare many of the mattress mentioned by other posters here.  Their "egg" test is rather interesting.

    Best of luck to you!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    This Zinus 12" queen (I have the 10" ones for my rentals and love them) is on sale right now on Amazon for $ 169 https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Memory-Green-Mattress-Queen/dp/B00Q7EPSHI/ref=pe_2607640_264694840_pd_h0_learn&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Michaela G.

    Do you have to have a box spring with that mattress or any other solid platform underneath?  I have 3 basic Hollywood queen and full bed frames in a house that need mattress sets by the first week of January.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Paul Sandhu , I have box springs, as I like high beds, but I believe I read somewhere that you can put it onto any platform. I'm sure it's mentioned in the description somewhere. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    The This Zinus 12" queen Green Tea is the way to go.  I bought 8 of them on Black Friday at $179 and just bought 6 more a few days ago at the same price.

  • Melbourne Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Tuft&Needle mattress from amazon has prime shipping! We like this one http://amzn.to/2BO1B4J and always have a waterproof mattress protector like this one: http://amzn.to/2BKLuVe

    I hope those links help

  • New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    i like amazon's $200 memory foam mattresses (zinius one is good)- inexpensive, dont need box spring, and guests love them!

  • Residential Real Estate Investor and Broker · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    I'm considering the same thing. Here's my personal experience with mattresses:

    -I hate memory foam (hurts my back and they are hot, regardless of the claim) so I personally wouldn't rent a house that ONLY had those as an option

    -I've bought expensive/quality beds for me. They all sag in the middle after a couple of years or less. Too much of a hassle to swap out the bed via the warranty. Have done it but...there is sometime a fee, etc. So, I can spend more money for these but still need to replace them (whether it is warranty or not). Warranty may not hold up since it is commercial property.

    -I've bought those mattresses from Craiglist or street signs where it says "new, in plastic". It's very cool thing to do. Show up at a storage unit and they'll put out new mattresses to lay on and try. High quality stuff, really. Comfy. Cheap. Queen box spring and mattress for $200-300. I think I'll go this route, then replace them every 1.5 years or so, depending on how they hold up.

    In all cases, I will go with a high quality topper.

    Also planning to have platforms built so that I just have to get mattresses. The platforms will make it easy to attach any kind of headboard. And, you don't hit your toes on the posts or frames.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.