(2) Twin Beds Vs Bunk Beds Vs Queen in 3rd Bedroom

(2) Twin Beds Vs Bunk Beds Vs Queen in 3rd Bedroom

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 8 votes

I'm setting up a vacation rental in FL near the beach.  Home will have a King bed in Master Bedroom, and another King in Guest Bedroom #1.  For Guest Bed #2, which is a small 10.5 X 11FT room, would you set up dedicated twin beds?  Or do a bunk bed set up which would give the kids more room on the floor in front of the beds?  The room will have a TV, and the way I'm configuring it will be difficult to push the twin beds together.  I could also just do a queen bed in this room as well, I suppose, but I was trying to set this room up as more kid-friendly.  

0Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

Put in a Queen bed instead of 2 twins or a bunkbed.  I have 82 beds in my STRs.  I think 4 or 5 are twins, the rest are F Q or K.  

I call twin beds birth control beds.  It's because no guy that gets that bed is going to get anyone pregnant in that bed.  It can happen in a F Q or K. 

A couple years ago I was on a pheasant hunt with 9 other guys and half a dozen dogs.  All of us slept in a bunk house in the basement of a motel.  5 bunkbeds, they were all twin.  Some people fell out of their upper bunk beds Friday and Saturday night.  They just slept on the floor, next to a dog, or on a couch after they fell out.  There was a lot of whiskey and beer those 2 nights.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    My thought is bunk beds, more space and kids love them (you could potentially do one of those full-on-bottom, twin-on-top bunks and be able to accommodate a seventh person!).

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    My thought is bunk beds, more space and kids love them (you could potentially do one of those full-on-bottom, twin-on-top bunks and be able to accommodate a seventh person!).

    I saw one of those full/twin bunks that I really liked.  The way the room is set up, the twins will fit better with the windows and the bunk bed would block one of the windows, but I like where you're going with the extra sleeping capacity.  The bunk would also leave more space in front of the TV in this room for the kids to play video games, etc.  Maybe blocking the window won't be a huge deal...

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
    7y

    @Bob Mueller Jr. are you targeting just families with kids?  I think with the bunk bed you are limiting use really to people with kids.  I would think a queen would be better as you can fit 2 kids or 2 adults, just a little more versatile.  

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    I would concentrate on sleeping the most adults as possible to maximize nightly rent. I don't think adults would care for bunk beds. So I would go the two twin bed route. People are their short term and use the bedroom to sleep not play. There is a reason they are staying in the area. They are going to be doing what they came their to do, go to the lake, beach, area attractions etc.

    When you go stay in a hotel or STR are you staying in the unit all day? Likely not unless you are just going to the mountains for a get away.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Let me throw another wrinkle in this.  I also have a 3rd Guest bedroom, which I was planning to set up as an office, but I was thinking to maybe put a futon in there that could be used for kids.  Knowing that, should I go with a queen or two twins for the 2nd guest room?  A queen would give me sleeping for 6 adults (two kings, queen) plus then I would have the futon for the flex kid space. 

  • Kettle Falls, WA · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    Will you be doing your own cleaning? Every time I go to clean, I say a little prayer: "Please don't let the bunk beds have been slept in."

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Put in a Queen bed instead of 2 twins or a bunkbed.  I have 82 beds in my STRs.  I think 4 or 5 are twins, the rest are F Q or K.  

    I call twin beds birth control beds.  It's because no guy that gets that bed is going to get anyone pregnant in that bed.  It can happen in a F Q or K. 

    A couple years ago I was on a pheasant hunt with 9 other guys and half a dozen dogs.  All of us slept in a bunk house in the basement of a motel.  5 bunkbeds, they were all twin.  Some people fell out of their upper bunk beds Friday and Saturday night.  They just slept on the floor, next to a dog, or on a couch after they fell out.  There was a lot of whiskey and beer those 2 nights.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
    7y

    I try to maximize heads-in-beds.  Two of my homes have four bedrooms and I use the 4th as a way to increase this number.  In my market I do get a lot of families, so I have a twin over full bunk, and a trundle bed.  In reality this could sleep 5 people in the room, however that doesn't happen very often, and the full size below the twin is used for adults on a fairly regular basis.

  • Fairfax, Virginia (VA) · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    I try to maximize heads-in-beds. I would use the 3rd Guest bedroom, as a bedroom, not an office.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Junction, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    7y

    @Bob Mueller Jr. I vote for twin beds - more flexibility. However, they do make trundles that can pull out from under a twin as well. And have you thought of placing the twins in an L shape against the walls? That would leave more floor space in the middle... 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Kauffman Thank you. This will be my primary residence 6 months a year, hence the office. That said, I am considering buying a futon or twin beds for this room and then just converting it to a full-on bedroom right before I leave. Then I’ll have K, K, Q, & twin for all rooms.

  • Fairfax, Virginia (VA) · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    @Bob Mueller Jr. I understand and definitely recommend getting a bed(s) for the other 6 months. It's easiest when you have multiple beds of the same size (for example: K, K, Q, Q). We got 2 Queen SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattresses for our common areas (living room) that our guests really like. Also, the Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Mattresses are really nice. You might find this excel file with a full list of typical furnishing helpful. Good luck!

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Our home is setup specifically for families. We do get plenty of couples as 3 of the 4 bedrooms are setup with King and Queen beds, but the ground floor room is oddly shaped, long and narrow overall with a 3 sided wider area near the front. 

    So we stuffed 2 sets of bunk beds in there and turned it into a kids oasis. It has been very popular. Gives kids some space for themselves and the adults can hang on the main floor. Only downside is there is no bathroom on that floor.

    Super fisheye but you get the idea. It is a fun space!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.