Getting guests to book

Getting guests to book

Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes

In our first few months as STR owners/managers, we've found that people REALLY like what we're doing with our log cabin and they are highly satisfied and giving five star reviews online. We know bookings will pick up but I'm wondering what I can do to fill June-August. I'm a bit surprised that no one has booked in the summer months when kids are off school and families are vacationing.

Our typical customer has been mid-life or older couples and best friends although families have been inquiring.  Other than contacting former guests, posting on Craigslist and social media (which has only given me leads that don't turn into bookings), what should I do to help get these months booked up?

Luckily, we've got some guests who have already secured September-November for us because of the local attractions/events.  But I'm worried about the summer.  I thought it was going to be WAY more busy!  Or am I worrying too early?

Thank you wise ones!!!!

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Galveston, TX · Member since 2015 · 255 posts · 219 votes
7y

That is one of the things that can be stressful about STR. While they perform great, most guests book rather last minute. In Galveston, 50% of guests book in the last 30 days! You really don't want a full calendar a month or two out as you are actually missing out on a lot of guests. When I hear people saying that they are booked up for the next 2-3 months, all I can think of is all the cash they're missing out on being priced so low!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan DempseyBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Pocono Pines, PA · Member since 2018 · 153 posts · 117 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Wolfe

    What other platforms are you on? If not on all of them, you could try to do a search on google for platforms and get registered on each one.

    You could also play with your pricing a bit. If you lower it slightly and start to see some action, then maybe your price is just a bit too high. Also compare to other listings to see if you are priced competitively. If you are kind of in the middle, you might have to wait for the lower competitors to go first.

    Don’t sweat it though because most people will probably be making reservations in the next month or two.

    I wish you the best with it!

    Jonathan

  • Kettle Falls, WA · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    Jonathan began with the same question I have. For whatever reason, most of my SUMMER bookings come from VRBO/Homeaway, while the rest of the year, they are mostly Airbnb.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    You should be on Homeaway/vrbo and Airbnb. If your place attracts families and middle aged guests then VRBO is likely to work the best. If you have a younger guest that books more last minute then Airbnb will likely do better for you.

    I would be on both and see what works the best for your market.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    I totally forgot to mention the platforms we’re on and our pricing. 

    Currently listed on Airbnb, HomeAway, Glamping Hub, and Booking.com

    Pricing is well below market for the summer months.  $99/night + $75 cleaning fee and $300 refundable deposit for a 2/2 1300 sq ft log cabin in a private community with lake views and steps away from the lake shore.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Ashley Wolfe  You're worried about June and August vacancies in March?  I normally have 30 minutes to 48 hours advance notice before any occupancy.  That's basically a reservation no more than 2 days in advance before occupancy.  

    The only reason I have 48 hours advance notice is that one particular group of people have to let a big pressure vessel cool down before they can work on it.  It takes 2-3 days to cool down, so they are told a few days ahead of time of when to be here.  Most everyone else makes a reservation the day they arrive, if they even make a reservation.

  • Developer · London · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    Just because you haven't had any vacancies for June-August now doesn't mean that it won't pick up as the months progress. You have nothing to worry about, when the time gets closer I'm sure you'll get bookings for the peak summer time.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Ashley Wolfe in my market I’m not concerned with bookings more than 8 weeks out. They always get booked.

  • Seabrook/Galveston · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Wolfe

    We just got our STR in Galveston up and running at the end and f February. I believe AirBnB gives you the average lead time for bookings. If not, I know that AirDNA does. In our case, it's 4 weeks out per the website. Some very limited reading I've done suggests that's about the average for many places.

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    And we just had an inquiry yesterday about April 2020.

    Our property may be one of those that people use for large events already on the calendar and personal events like anniversaries, birthdays, girls weekends, etc.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not but whenever I edit my listings I tend to get a booking or inquiry within 24 hrs...I'm not sure if the booking platforms have an algorithm in place for updated listings or if it's purely law of attraction. Also, have you checked airdna.co? You can see how you compare to other listings in the area. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 79 votes
    7y

    @Ashley Wolfe Hi Ashley -- we have a fairly welly booked STR in Wimberley in the hill country and we find that most people don't look PAST the next vacation in front of their nose. So for example, until we pass spring break, we won't start getting the bulk of our summer bookings. It doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, but the big wave of summer bookings won't come in until late closer to April

    We also noticed this a bit at our Galveston STR; though not as defined. Where is your property?

  • Realtor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    @Mark S.

    That makes a lot of sense!  We’re in La Grange.  :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Galveston, TX · Member since 2015 · 255 posts · 219 votes
    7y

    That is one of the things that can be stressful about STR. While they perform great, most guests book rather last minute. In Galveston, 50% of guests book in the last 30 days! You really don't want a full calendar a month or two out as you are actually missing out on a lot of guests. When I hear people saying that they are booked up for the next 2-3 months, all I can think of is all the cash they're missing out on being priced so low!

  • Real Estate Agent · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    I agree with @Timothy Church. Being booked out too far in advance is actually a bad sign in my experience and means you may need to adjust your prices upwards. After doing Airbnb for the last 5 years I can assure you, at least in my area (NYC), that guests are booking last minute more often and I'd expect that trend to increase.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.