Airbnb in Austin - own to rent model thoughts?

Airbnb in Austin - own to rent model thoughts?

Austin · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 3 votes

I am curious about BP member thoughts on an Airbnb-purpose condo project underway in Austin. Pros and cons of looking at this as an investment? Thanks!

New article here and posted below also. Press release here. "AUSTIN, Texas — A new concept debuting in Austin combines condo ownership and short-term renting with the city's first high-rise homesharing property.

Unit owners will purchase one of the 249 hotel-licensed condos with the intention of listing their unit on the Airbnb platform or independently or through Natiivo management, a new brand by NGD Homesharing.

The development planned for 48 East Avenue in the Rainey Street District will feature 33 floors of fully-amenitized and furnished studios, one-bedroom and two bedroom units. Due to the hotel license, owners cannot use the property as a primary residence and are not intended to stay for more than 30 days at a time.

“Natiivo fills a gap in the hospitality landscape by combining an elevated, professionally-hosted experience, great design and cutting-edge technology with the service, security and consistency of a great hotel,” said Harvey Hernandez, founder and CEO of NGD Homesharing.

Natiivo Austin will include coworking spaces, a cafe lounge, a spa-inspired fitness center and a rooftop pool deck with private cabanas. Units will cost between $300,000 and $1.2 Million.

"It's basically a hotel that offers what we call 'the new way' of owning real estate," said Hernandez, on the phone from Miami. Instead of being rent-to-own the model is own-to-rent. The property is ideal for anyone who wants a fully furnished, professionally managed short-term rental in Austin.

The project is co-developed by Newgard Development Group and Pearlstone Partners, with architecture by STG Design and interiors by New York-based INC Architecture and Design. Natiivo Austin is expected to break ground by mid-September with an opening in September 2021.

A similar project, Natiivo Miami, will stand 48 stories high with 604 units. Nearly 200 units will be dedicated hotel-licensed homes. Natiivo Miami’s expected opening is Spring 2022.

According to Airbnb, Austin continues to be one of their top 10 destinations.

3Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

That sounds like a more elaborate version of what's happening in Nashville, namely, condos that are appropriately zoned and STR-permit eligible, with HOAs that explicitly allow STRs. It's pretty much the only way to get in the STR game in Nashville now.

Bottom line, make sure you know all the details, associated costs, and permitting requirements (and probability of them remaining permit-able for the foreseeable future); do all the regular due diligence; then if the numbers crunch, go for it.  

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    That sounds like a more elaborate version of what's happening in Nashville, namely, condos that are appropriately zoned and STR-permit eligible, with HOAs that explicitly allow STRs. It's pretty much the only way to get in the STR game in Nashville now.

    Bottom line, make sure you know all the details, associated costs, and permitting requirements (and probability of them remaining permit-able for the foreseeable future); do all the regular due diligence; then if the numbers crunch, go for it.  

  • Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 241 posts · 136 votes
    7y

    Hi @Jenny Gardner - thanks for sharing your findings. Being the first of it's kind makes it difficult to properly evaluate. I wouldn't feel comfortable locking in a large investment in unchartered buy & hold investment water. The city of Austin stopped handing out SF & Duplex STR permits, which in theory should push demand towards these condos. Either way, investors here in Austin are better off condo regime'ing duplexes and STR those out or sell them off separately.

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    https://communityimpact.com/austin/housing-real-estate/2019/05/30/amid-fights-short-term-rentals-flourish/

    The short term rental market is taking off. Many of them aren't even operating with proper permits. Maybe the city is turning a blind eye to it. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Hey @Jenny Gardner! One thing I would push for is projections. If they have already broke ground, then you can bet they have projections on revenue. 

    I am not familiar with Austin's market, but 300k for I expect is a small 1 bedroom. I would do some research on Verbo and AirBNB to see what nightly rents are like in the immediate area to see if the price of the units (along with HOA fees etc) make it worth the purchase.

    I would also be interested/careful of any restrictions Natiivo might place on owner who rent themselves vs using them as the property manager. 

    Bottom line is there are some unanswered questions that I would want to have answered before I made a decision.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Ok, so I did a quick search on AirBNB and Verbo to see what was what in that basic area.

    From what I can see, 2 bed 2 bath rates are just under 200 a night on VRBO. That includes areas down near the Edward Rendon park. 

    AirBNB has several in the same area. 1bed 1bath rates are under 100 per night. Most of the places say "Spa Condo" or something like that so I assume it they are somewhat similar to what you are looking at.

    So a 1bed 1 bath basic unit at 300k. Mortgage is around 1600 a month. Plus insurance and taxes. Add in the HOA (have to find out what that will be). Let's say $400 HOA for everything. Monthly payment will be something like $2400 or so?

    $28,800 a year in those costs, plus all the things that make a nice STR.

    If the place is just amazing you might get 120-150 a night, maybe. You will be competing with all the other units as well so that might be wrong. 

    At those rates, you are looking at 54,750 if you rent at 150 a night with 100 percent occupancy which is not realistic. 

    225 nights at 33,750 would probably be more realistic. 

    All those numbers are all very rough, so take them with a grain of salt. Could be meat, could be cake....

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y

    I wouldn't touch a project like this with an 11 foot rope . Sort of like having an Amazon storefront while they collect my data and then compete against me later.  Why in the world do I need to get involved  in something that has unknown risk when I can go out and get any property I wish in a reasonable area and do it myself?

    Like being involved in an REIT that somehow manages to make considerably less than an independent landlord can make

  • Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Jenny Gardner Thanks for starting this discussion I was curious about this property when when I first read about it. I think the responders before me have adequately covered the possible volatility of this property when it comes to keeping permits, competing against the same unit one floor above yours, and not having a comparable market. I agree and think there is another missing aspect that hasn't been mentioned.

    To me this property takes away the unique feel of staying in an AirBnb or VRBO, and transforms it into a glorified hotel. The concept behind AirBnb is experiencing life through someone else's home. 

    I could see this property turning into a residential building in 8 years. 

  • Robert TinkerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2019 · 246 posts · 159 votes
    7y

    Wondering if the developer is hoping that institutional investors will gobble up these? It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    One "con" would also be the financing options.  One would be unlikely to be able to get a conventional loan on a "condotel" such as this. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    I am betting they will offer in house financing. Keep it all in house, more money for Natiivo.

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y

    Ok. I bought two mfh buildings BY MYSELF in a reasonable tourist town and live within a block of each. Cost approximately $415,000. Perhaps $70,000 of furnishings and fixups. 7/8 units total. 

    $160k+ gross and I manage myself. 

    How does this project compare to that?? Seems stupid for smaller investors. 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I buy 3BR bank foreclosures with CH/A for $9500.  Furnish them for around $1000 and rent them for $400 (2 people) to $600 (3 people) a week.  My renters are refinery contractors.  Welders, pipefitters, boilermakers and the occasional group of psychotic mutts.

    How does this compare to that?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Jenny Gardner

    I'm actually in the process of reserving a unit in the Natiivo project. I ran some numbers in the BP calculator, based on Austin's hotel vacancy rate of 25-30% and avg nightly rate of $250 for a hotel suite.

    Bottom line is that this is probably not a good investment for the average investor. Also, they have not ironed out all of the details yet. Having said that, the reservations are flying off the shelves. So there is a market for this concept.

    I'm going to use the house hack strategy by bouncing between this place and another AirBnB I own. Certainly not the lifestyle for everyone. But I plan bounce between vacation homes in "retirement" anyway. :-)

  • Investor · Saint Clair Shores, MI · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    Newguard Development is a scam. They just got forclosed on in the Fort Lauderdale Natiivo project. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.