The Grand Miami vs Opera for Airbnb

The Grand Miami vs Opera for Airbnb

FL · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hi All, is anyone currently running Airbnb in The Grand Miami (1717 N Bayshore dr). How does it compare with Opera Towers which is just opposite ? An idea how a 1 bdrm in both these places would compare in terms of Airbnb performance ?

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
7y

I agree you'd probably get less than a 1% response rate from that questionnaire. Hosts aren't necessarily interested in helping a potential competitor out, and who has time to fill out a questionnaire with nothing in it for them. 

Just go on AirBnB and check the calendar and rates for listings in the building. That would give you a very accurate view of occupancy rates and pricing. 

What that won't tell you is what the future holds in terms of the association banning STR. That may very well happen.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Did you check AirBNB for comps? Just head on over there and take a look at both and compare.

    From what I can tell, prices are very similar with similar occupancy. I think the Opera is a wee bit more on the nightly.

  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    I was looking at the Opera recently and would have loved to pick up a unit there but found out the condo association is planning to outlaw short-term rentals so I bailed on that. The Grand still allows them, but I would check if they have any plans to do the same. Are you trying to buy a place to rent out or do rental arbitrage?

  • FL · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hi Ray. From where did you find out about the condo association planning to outlaw Airbnb ? That’s not what I was told by them and many agents working there. Something definitely to keep in mind. I have checked out sites like mash visor to compare the two but wanted to know from someone who has experience on the ground. 

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Amit Shah go in Airbnb as a “guest” and do an inquiry. Ask every host you can find the following questions....

    1. Do you own the unit

    2. How often are you booked (asking for “occupancy rate” is way too cheesy)

    3. Do you ever stay in the unit

    4. Are there months that you’re not profitable? (Asking “what’s your gross and net revenue” once again cheesy and decreases your chances for a reply)

    5. Are you looking to buy more units in this building? (If the answer is no I’d probably look elsewhere)

    Send his message 50 times and set a goal of one reply. You’ll be lucky to get that one.

    Typed on an iPhone. Good luck!

  • FL · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the tips Lucas

  • Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
    7y

    I agree you'd probably get less than a 1% response rate from that questionnaire. Hosts aren't necessarily interested in helping a potential competitor out, and who has time to fill out a questionnaire with nothing in it for them. 

    Just go on AirBnB and check the calendar and rates for listings in the building. That would give you a very accurate view of occupancy rates and pricing. 

    What that won't tell you is what the future holds in terms of the association banning STR. That may very well happen.

  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    My broker was showing me a deal in that building that looked too good to be true, so I had him look through the condo docs for any kind of upcoming assessments or the possibility of STRs being banned. He checked and saw the association amended their by-laws to ban STRs. Have your agent check that and if you find something different please let me know because that would be a great building to own in for STRs. DM me if you need their contact info. 

    Originally posted by @Amit Shah:

    Hi Ray. From where did you find out about the condo association planning to outlaw Airbnb ? That’s not what I was told by them and many agents working there. Something definitely to keep in mind. I have checked out sites like mash visor to compare the two but wanted to know from someone who has experience on the ground. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.