What's your best find in an STR?

8 Replies

My home gym is my best find.  I have pairs of dumb bells from 5lbs to 55lbs in 5 pound increments, plus I have an adjustable bench.  All of those things have been stuff I found left behind in houses over the last 8 years.  Free free weights.  I fabricated the weight rack out of some iron I had laying around.

I recently acquired an inflatable canoe that I'm pretty excited about! :) I may need to add an item to my analysis for "unexpected acquisitions" to show true ROI on my properties! LOL

I had a Pelican fishing kayak float in last year. Left it out on the beach propped up so anyone who was looking for it would find it. Nada, so it is in my garage.

We don't provide any bicycles or kayaks for guest. Insurance is too much and risky IMHO. So we just use it when we are there.

Originally posted by @Michael Baum :
I had a Pelican fishing kayak float in last year. Left it out on the beach propped up so anyone who was looking for it would find it. Nada, so it is in my garage.

Do you think someone might have fallen out of the boat and drowned?

Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu :
Originally posted by @Michael Baum:

Do you think someone might have fallen out of the boat and drowned?

No, the lake can have a lot of wind related wave action and things just get pulled off beaches if they are left too close. I came in early spring last year. That is when the rivers are running high with runoff and there are a lot of logs. Probably got swept off a beach somewhere. People will go out in boats looking for lost stuff all the time, especially in the spring.

Mine is probably a smart lock that was left in the basement of one of my houses... it's now being used on my primary residence.  But there's also an old garage door down there - which is strange because that cabin has never had a garage!

I found a .40 caliber handgun tucked away in the garage. I couldn't pin it on any specific guest because I couldn't determine who left it there and no guest made an inquiry of if I found it. I ended up reporting it to ABB and turning it over to the police in case it was stolen or used in a nefarious way. 

We had a guest we inherited from the previous owner who stole and pawned all our TVs which eventually we got back from the pawn shop. They left their Alexa behind though so that was small revenge and he also has a warrant out for his arrest if he ever decides to fly back to the US. Jerk.