Short & Long Term Rentals.. In the 1 Duplex??

Short & Long Term Rentals.. In the 1 Duplex??

Rental Property Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 19 votes

Hi All, 

I wanted to bounce an idea off of you all. I have a duplex that I currently occupy with great tenants renting the other unit. Ive contemplated the idea of Air BnBing the unit I am living in on weekends (as I am typically out of town anyway) to increase my cashflow on the property. 

Has anyone done short-term/vacation rentals on one side of a duplex, with long term tenants on the other side? My concern is that it seems inevitable that at some point I will have a short term rental guest that does something (noise, parking on their spot... etc.) that will upset my long term tenants. 

Curious as to your thoughts!

Thanks

0Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    I would warm up your long term tenant to the idea. Maybe offer him a small break in their rent.

    People just staying for a weekend are at some point going to be coming in late leaving early and possibly being loud at some point.

    Are your long term tenants pretty laid back? If so then you can probably get away with this.

    Also are their any restrictions in your area such as needing a permit or just flat out being illegal? Check into this first.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    My friends daughter lives in one side and STR the other side. I never thought there would be much demand but she does well.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Stop worrying about things that may or may not happen, try to find ways to prevent them from happening, and deal with them if they do happen. People aren't going to rent your place for a party pad.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.