Anyone experienced with VACASA?

Anyone experienced with VACASA?

Developer · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 7 votes

I’ve purchased three cabins-beachfront-great location cabins on 1/2 acre. I want to develop Condos or townhomes but meanwhile vacation rent them to help cover costs. I’m finding a lockdown style 32-35% property management rate by local managers and I’m not impressed by what I’m hearing on reviews. VACASA is new to this area and wants to manage the cabins but still want 32% not including extra fees for maintanance etc. The properties were very mismanaged so I can’t go on past rents. Area rents are great occupancy summer and dead in winter. I travel-work a lot and don’t really want to manage myself unless absolutely must. Does anyone have experience with VACASA or have suggestions. The local municipality requires a property manager for absentee owners and state of WA requires property managers to be licensed real estate agents. I’ve thought of a couple ways to work around all that but if VACASA is as good at marketing as they say I’d lean that way. Thanks.

0Reply
665 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 149 posts · 102 votes
6y

@Debbie Bone

Before I switched over to self managing I did use vacasa as a pm. This is what I found they did which I did not like and thought was sneaky. They would charge rent which they say is dynamic to optimize your profit but what they do is also add booking fees the guest pay on top of rent for another 10-20 percent they say this is for credit card fees and other admin charges but then what is the commission for? This raises the total cost Which is what people are looking at when they book. The rent they did charge seemed to be really low so they still could put all their fees in there and be competitive with the normal listings they did keep the place booked but that is how they did it.

See this reply in the discussion

93 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    This has been sadly illuminating, as I just purchased my first str property and decided to stick with VACASA because that was who had been managing it and there were a lot of 2022 rentals booked.  I'll be watching carefully this first year and doing more research, but it doesn't look like there are a lot of options.  My situation seems a little different than most listed though.  I own everything in my unit-- the linens, etc. Also, the cleaning is just someone they contract with (though I'm positive they keep a chunk of the $190 they charge to clean a 2 bdrm condo-- there's no way the poor people cleaning that condo are getting $190).  I'm a little confused about all the accusations of VACASA's liability for theft.  How would they even know if something was stolen?  Do they inspect the unit?  I didn't see that in my contract with them.  I assume the only person who sees it between guests is the cleaning crew/person.  But, I'm sure I have a LOT to learn and the curve will no doubt be steep.

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    If you find a local PM who is a superhost then that would help in terms of airbnb placement. ( I found my PM on a local Facebook page site and couldn't be happier-- she's in my neighborhood and charges only 18%).  

    Also, the more views you get that result in a reservation  the better chance that the property will move up.

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    Good luck--disgruntled and probably (like you said) underpaid housekeeping, incompetent and excessive mid level management and high turnover with switch board staff created a nightmarish situation for us---hopefully your experience is better.

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I spoke with the local management company today (who are so proud they have "partnered with" VACASA) and she assured me that they intended to keep the local attention to detail that they (the local PM biz) are known for.  Time will tell, but I'm keeping an eye on it and pointed that out to "local woman."   Fortunately, at least for now, she is my contact and I'm not having to deal directly with V.

    Also, in regard to the issue of how much they charge, I have noticed that for most of my bookings the "booking fee" is pretty large (several hundred dollars) -- and this is in addition to the 25% I pay them.  I get the taxes, which are high and inevitable in this biz, and the cleaning (though I know they are making a pretty penny/dollar there as noted above), and MAYBE the mandatory $49 insurance they make all guests pay (though I'd be interested to know whether that goes to an actual insurance co. or is just another VACASA profit center), but the booking fee AND the 25% do often mean they are collecting as much or more than I am from a booking.  It will be interesting to see what I actually net in my first check, coming 2/10.

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Having Vacasa as our "property manager" has been an absolutely dreadful experience over the past 2 years.

    We have a short-term rental property in central Florida right by the beach. We pointed out several things that needed attention when we visited in February 2020 before COVID took hold. They said they'd taken care of these things and, of course, we had no way of knowing until we returned for a few days in May last year. The dripping faucets (not a big deal a year earlier) had caused mold in both bathrooms, the lawn needed replacing because they were unable to check that renters kept turning off the sprinkler timer and and the fact they never once changed the AC filter cost us $4,200 in repairs. We were advised by the local township in July 2021 that we did not have the necessary permits and Vacasa said they were taking care of this. In the meantime, the property had to be taken down from the various websites and by December they still hadn't got the permit in place....costing us rental income.

    They gave me a document to sign and gave me a settlement of $10,000 to compensate for lost revenue. I asked them repeatedly to confirm that this was just for the loss of revenue. They answered vaguely and told me to speak to my legal counsel. Of course, as a private individual, I have a whole legal team on retainer! Stupidly, I signed and they had some weasel words in their contract that got them off the hook. They knew what the answer to my question was and could have done the decent thing.

    I had a couple of great property managers in my first couple of years, but since March 2020 they've been dreadful. They're very understaffed and focus on extracting maximum profit for minimum effort. The property manager was completely overwhelmed and told us she had 40 open tickets and only 2 maintenance people covering a huge part of Florida. They've probably cost us $40k in repairs and lost revenue and plenty more in stress. 

    They're really sneaky and untrustworthy. I'd suggest looking at every possible alternative before giving up 25% of the revenue to these people.

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    https://bl

    Move with caution.  My experience has been very bad.

    Here is something I found:

    https://www.vrmintel.com/wp-co...

    https://hkm.com/vacasa/

    STUTHEIT KALIN LLC 308 SW 1st Avenue Suite 325 | Portland, OR 97204

    https://www.portlandemployment...

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Move with caution. Class Action Lawsuit in the making. Vacasa Owners, Guests and Employees who have been abused by this company should unite, form a gofundme page and take these guys on legally.

    Here is something I found:


    https://www.vrmintel.com/wp-co...

    https://hkm.com/vacasa/

    STUTHEIT KALIN LLC 308 SW 1st Avenue Suite 325 | Portland, OR 97204

    https://www.portlandemployment...

  • Member since 2020 · 101 posts · 34 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Ralph Lampman:

    Move with caution. Class Action Lawsuit in the making. Vacasa Owners, Guests and Employees who have been abused by this company should unite, form a gofundme page and take these guys on legally.

    Here is something I found:


    https://www.vrmintel.com/wp-co...

    https://hkm.com/vacasa/

    STUTHEIT KALIN LLC 308 SW 1st Avenue Suite 325 | Portland, OR 97204

    https://www.portlandemployment...

    I see no reason to repeat the same post several times. Thank you.

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    I'm new to posting and this was unintentional, however I want to make as many people aware of the fact that Vacasa may not be a good option (local Vacasa PM specific) and that those who have suffered and were damaged by Vacasa's actions or inactions can do something.  People have the right to know the good, bad and ugly and the right to take action if they have been damaged.  Your experience in HI is the exception not the norm.  I hope Vacasa turns things around and recognizes that Vacasa is not just a technology platform but a labor intensive people oriented business (Guests, Owners, Employees). Much more emphasis needs to be applied at the local level with a focus on 1)guests 2)owners 3)employees (people).  Companies just like people need to be held accountable. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Panama City Beach · Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 51 votes
    4y

    100%! I hired Vacasa to manage my first STR in the Florida Panhandle. They were hiring a local sales manager but I just had a new baby so I took a sales position instead. They managed my unit that was not even legally allowed to be rented as a STR, kept having cleaning issues, damages, etc. Their numbers were ridiculously off, rented way too low, and on and on the problems went. Nonetheless, I signed 80 properties under management with them before I really understood the industry and market, yet when the upper management kept lying to our clients, wouldn't stop the managers from renting off book, and took referral fees from the company that didn't even belong to them, they fired me as a whistleblower. They are an EXPERT marketing and tech company, yet do NOT know how to manage people or instill the right systems in place to avoid dismal failures like this. I'm calling for reform in this industry since it got no better when I went to iTrip Vacation Rentals as a Sales Director and found the GM on hardcore drugs & the operations manager had been "supposedly" stealing from clients for years by billing for work not performed. Rampant nepotism and stealing from clients is the norm with these huge companies - "SUPPOSEDLY" my attorney has me add. :) I've seen the most success with owners at properties who manage their own as a super host and take on the neighbors units or with local companies who have a vested interest in keeping a solid reputation. Unfortunately I will never refer to these large companies again since it is the equivalent of hiring Dollar Tree to manage your investment. I now train many of my owners to self manage very successfully or find them local resources for a far better outcome!

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Lyndsey Garza:
    Originally posted by @Larry A swanzer:

    Very helpful thread. I purchased a property in Maggie Valley NC in September. The previous owner used Evolve and it was easy for me to continue with them. But I discovered they are not full service. They rely on the homeowner to be the guest point of contact for most issues. I called Vacasa today. But after reading these post I'm not likely to use them. Wondering what determines where my property turns up on an Airbnb, Vrbo, etc, search. It seems Evolve and Vacasa are good at having their clients property show up at the top of an Airbnb search and, if true, that is a big plus for using these companies. Anyone know what drives where a property shows up in the search and if these companies provide more bookings than DIY?  Also, if anyone knows of a str company in NC smokey mtn area pls let me know.


    Larry, did you locate the right management company for your needs in NC? Please let me know if not yet…I have several personal referrals who I have known professionally for years. 


     Lyndsey,

    We use vacasa for our property in Whittier, NC which is near Maggie Valley. We just had our first guest check in yesterday and I'm already disappointed with Vacasa from a communication stand point. I am interested in the PM contacts you mentioned for this area. Please let me know how I can get those referrals from you.

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    I had a nightmarish experience with Vacasa.They are a poorly managed dysfunctional management company -- if you're not committed to a year long contract get out while you can. Below is my Yelp review of Vacasa:

    

    

    

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    My experience with Vacasa since March 2020 has been disastrous. I canceled the relationship in December. When you don’t visit your property very regularly you rely on them to fix the things that need attention. They assured me they had resolved an issue with dripping faucets and shower and we now have mold and water under the floors. Their lack of attention to our sprinkler system caused all of the lawn to be replaced. They had not secured the necessary permits from the township to even list our home, so it was taken down from all of their websites causing us a complete loss of revenue. The Regional Director for the central Florida region told me he runs his own company with 48 properties. I’m not sure if Vacasa runs some kind of pyramid scheme, but nothing makes sense. They couldn’t attend to maintenance issues in a timely manner because they skinned their staff down to the bone to prepare for their stock market IPO. I was told they had 40 open tickets with only 2 techs on staff. 25% fee is fine by me if they take care of things, but they don’t. I have a couple of friends who switched to Evolve and others who went with Air BnB. It seems there are plenty of local property managers who won’t take a huge fee if you want to list your property with other sites. 
    they literally cost me thousands of dollars in repairs that I’ll never get back. 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    4y

    Hello Debbie!

    I just messaged you and would love to connect on short term rentals!

    Looking forward to connecting!

    Best,

    Andrew

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    In 2 months, over $800 in damages to our home from vacasa renters. Vacasa did not screen guests not did they inspect for damage each time renters left.

    When I arrived, I discovered 3 missing door knobs, broken tile, broken washer, toilet paper roll torn out of wall, stained carpet, etc.

    Vacasa had not informed me of any of the damage prior to my arrival - and refused to pay for all the damage done by their renters.

    N addition, guests contacted me over missing pillowcases and towels. Vacasa said “they ran out” -/ after I paid $450 for linens 2 months prior.

    Will happy to provide more details and speak with vacasa if they wish to correct a very poor managed ski rental area.

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    This is typical of my recent experience having Vacasa as my property manager. As a previous poster says, they put most of their resources into middle management and very little goes into maintenance and teams that can take detailed reviews of inventory and the state of your home. 

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Cathy Dunnam Pleitz:

    In 2 months, over $800 in damages to our home from vacasa renters. Vacasa did not screen guests not did they inspect for damage each time renters left.

    When I arrived, I discovered 3 missing door knobs, broken tile, broken washer, toilet paper roll torn out of wall, stained carpet, etc.

    Vacasa had not informed me of any of the damage prior to my arrival - and refused to pay for all the damage done by their renters.

    N addition, guests contacted me over missing pillowcases and towels. Vacasa said “they ran out” -/ after I paid $450 for linens 2 months prior.

    Will happy to provide more details and speak with vacasa if they wish to correct a very poor managed ski rental area.

    Cathy:  That is horrifying!  I am about to visit my own condo for the first time since Vacasa took over management 3 months ago.  It's been almost fully rented, though those bookings already existed when Vacasa took over, so no credit to them for that.  I'll try to remember to report back when I get back.
  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    I had a nightmarish experience with Vacasa.They are a poorly managed dysfunctional management company -- if you're not committed to a year long contract get out while you can. Below is my Yelp review of Vacasa:

    

    

    

    

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Vacasa Steamboat response was they have been going thru “growing pains” the last 6 months. 

    In other words, they acknowledged they had problems - but for some reason I am responsible for addressing their “growing pain issues”. 

  • Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mary Beth Hebert:
    Cathy:  That is horrifying!  I am about to visit my own condo for the first time since Vacasa took over management 3 months ago.  It's been almost fully rented, though those bookings already existed when Vacasa took over, so no credit to them for that.  I'll try to remember to report back when I get back.
    Mary I'd love to hear what you found when you visited your condo
  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Absolutely the WORST property management company! RUN!

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Debbie Bone:

    I’ve purchased three cabins-beachfront-great location cabins on 1/2 acre. I want to develop Condos or townhomes but meanwhile vacation rent them to help cover costs. I’m finding a lockdown style 32-35% property management rate by local managers and I’m not impressed by what I’m hearing on reviews. VACASA is new to this area and wants to manage the cabins but still want 32% not including extra fees for maintanance etc. The properties were very mismanaged so I can’t go on past rents. Area rents are great occupancy summer and dead in winter. I travel-work a lot and don’t really want to manage myself unless absolutely must. Does anyone have experience with VACASA or have suggestions. The local municipality requires a property manager for absentee owners and state of WA requires property managers to be licensed real estate agents. I’ve thought of a couple ways to work around all that but if VACASA is as good at marketing as they say I’d lean that way. Thanks.

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    I agree… find something other than VACASA. We have a home in Vermont that we have rented for about 3 months… net effect… we owe VACASA $100. Yup, negative return. They rented our property far below market rates just to fill it, and have charged us ridiculous fees. They charged an initial cleaning fee, and then another set-up cleaning fee, and just charged us a $375 deep cleaning fee. We haven’t even used the house in those 3 months. They do have people on the ground, the house is sparkly, but we will never make a dime. I’m looking for a PM now. The tenants do pay fees which you were not made aware of, and those go straight to VACASA. The linen service is nice, but the fee is hefty. We are canceling our contract. BTAw, our fee is not negotiable. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    I work with Vacasa and would be very happy to get you a legit quote and go over all that we cover for our management fee's

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    I would strongly suggest that you choose another option. But if you do choose Vacasa, they will encourage you to pay for daily insurance, to pay for damage/stolen items. They will tell you that it is a worry free way to rent your home. I did this, and to date, I have never been reimbursed for a clothes dryer, room purifier, Keurig, barstools, console table, pizza oven, Rowenta and countless smaller items that were broken or missing when I return home. Rest assured, they will say "insurance doesn't cover that" AND don't expect a call if there is damage to your home or the items within.  Expect to walk in to a damaged house with trashy replacement items that were bought at the Dollar Tree.

    I am so disgusted with their customer service and business practices, that I won't even use their rentals (on any platform) and I discourage friends, family and coworkers from using their vacation services, as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.