4 bedroom house - what is the best bed layout?

4 bedroom house - what is the best bed layout?

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

I'm prepping for my first AirBnB and want to get your advice on the best bed plan. 

4 bedroom house, one queen-sized murphy bed in the upstairs bedroom. (Upstairs is a bedroom, 3/4 bath, and living space)

2 bedrooms in the front of the house share a bathroom and ensuite master bedroom in the addition at the back of the house.

Master is large enough for a King-sized bed.

What do I put in the two bedrooms near the front? Bunk beds? Queen-sized beds? (King will be too big for the front bedrooms.)

I like the idea of a kid's room, with 1-2 sets of bunk beds. If I go with the one set of bunk beds, I'd do the full-sized bottom bunk with the twin-sized top. If I do two sets of bunk beds, there won't be a lot of room for doing anything else, but gives me more space to put people. 

I can advertise that it sleeps 10-12, but it's actually a pretty small house for that many people. If there were 2 sets of adults and a bunch of kids, the house would be fine but 10 adults is stretching it. House is 1800 square feet, 4/3 but almost no yard...

Thoughts? @Luke Carl @Avery Carl @Paul Sandhu @John Underwood

0Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

No bunk beds.  I've got 83 beds in all my rentals.  3 Kings, 3 twins, and about 40 Queen and about 40 Full.  The only benefits of a bunk or twin bed is that nobody will get pregnant or catch an STD in it.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    No bunk beds.  I've got 83 beds in all my rentals.  3 Kings, 3 twins, and about 40 Queen and about 40 Full.  The only benefits of a bunk or twin bed is that nobody will get pregnant or catch an STD in it.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    The more beds the more you can charge. I can't remember if Airbnb allows you to charge extra per person per night over a certain number, but Vrbo does allow this.

    I have 2 queens in every bedroom. Kings are nice but having 2 Queens instead of 1 King gives more sleeping options.

    A fold out couch would allow for overflow.

    I have some queen air mattresses as well, but I don't advertise that I have these or that I can sleep more. Sometimes you might have a group of guys that are below your max and it is weird for 2 guys to sleep in the same bed, girls don't seem to mind as much.

    You also (in my opinion) don't want to advertise that you can sleep too many people to encourage parties.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen I would sleep 10 as you'll come up in more search impressions than sleeping 8, but charge extra for persons 9 and 10 (15 bucks per night or so). This will weed out a bit of the riff-raff that try to shove extra people under one roof to save money. 

    I would put a queen bunk in one of the front rooms and a sleeper sofa in the other front room with a large TV for folks that want a breather. This way if you want to switch to 8 person max you just make the sleeper off limits (zip tie it shut). The alternative is of course 1 queen in each front room, but if you want to switch to less folks you'll have to ditch a bed. Not the end of the world. 

    Camera on the front porch (ring flood light) to make sure people aren't bringing more people than they paid for -although one of the biggest mistakes you can make is actually looking at the damn camera as it won't create wealth; yet it's addicting. It's your own private reality show. 

    Personally I don't know or care if they bring extra people. They're gone in two days. I gladly take their money and move on. 

    Most important part of this conversation.... You can ALWAYS change this setting. In the early days my brain would get stuck. "Man I'm sick of having 10 people they're annoying me" sometimes it wouldn't click that I could just change this, or any setting and any time! 

    Go with your gut as to what you think will work for you and tweak it as the weeks roll on. 

    Good luck! 

  • Developer · Chicago, IL. · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    I own a 2/2 condo in river north Chicago. I rented it on airbnb as a 1/1 that can sleep up to 5 since it has 2 sets of bunk beds. 1 queen / 3 twins and it performed great. I would lock out the master suite so it couldn't be used since we have all of our personal stuff in it. Everyone was very satisfied with the price point and accomodations and always received 5 star ratings. I rented it to every base. A family of 4 for the entire month of June, girl groups, guy groups, and couples. Never had an issue 

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    Bunk beds have ladders and insurance companies are starting to frown on this.

    use trundle beds instead

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I fell out of one of these bunks on a pheasant hunting trip.  There was a lot of whiskey involved. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 227 posts · 365 votes
    6y

    @Mindy Jensen - The ideal set-up really depends on who your customer is--long-term or short-term? Business traveler or vacationer? Economy, mid-range or luxury? I manage 25 furnished homes in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I focus on business travelers seeking value and convenience for 30+ day stays (with some STRs mixed in). Given this market, I put a Queen bed in every room (2 if they will fit), with a sleeper sofa in the living room as suggested by @John Underwood. 

    Why not put a bigger bunk bed in one of the front rooms? I just rented a big 5-bedroom home near SFO Airport from a landlord and ordered 2 Full-over-Queen bunk beds for one room so the place will sleep 12-16 people a la @Luke Carl. More beds = more heads = more $$! This gives you great flexibility to rent to 4 business travelers or a 10-person reunion. And yes use the AirBnB feature where you charge an extra $5-$10 per night per person over 6 or 8 so each extra person brings in $150-$300 more per month.

    I imagine you have great ideas already about amenities and furnishings. I like to use certain items that aren't expensive but demonstrate good mid-level quality and coziness, e.g. Keurig coffee maker, 10" Queen memory foam mattresses, 100% cotton sheets and oversized spa towels, 55" SmartTV, lots of new throw pillows & throw blankets, big art, cotton poufs, etc.

    Have fun!

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Every year we rent on Marco Island 5+beds/4+baths. We avoid Murphy beds, bunk beds & anything smaller than a queen for adults & if the property has ALL King sized beds it wins. Grandkids get the 2 twin beds in a smaller room. On any property we own around here to buy&hold etc we look for rooms large enough for a King & the rest as queens. Ground floor masters with an en-suite are a big positive.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    You can get a bed that looks like a trundle bed, but can also be converted into a double.  I would do that over bunk beds.  Ikea has some (Hemnes daybed).  I agree about a sofa bed for overflow.

  • Member since 2019 · 65 posts · 48 votes
    6y

    We have a 4 bed. Two king suites, 1 casita with 2 full sized beds, and 1 suite with 2 full sized bunk beds (4 beds total in the bunk room which has proved a hit with families or groups with kids of similar ages. Given they are full size they also sleep adults perfectly. What I like about having a combination of full and king size is only having to worry about 2 sizes of sheets.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    6y

    I'm going to agree with @Ethan Cooke, this decision is highly dependent on the location, and add'l details about the property and target customer.  There's no telling what the right call is for a 4 bedroom without knowing additional details.

    Our bedrooms run the gamut from bunk rooms with two Queen over Queen over Full trundles (6 beds sleeping up to 10 in one room), to smaller rooms with two Twin XLs that can be converted into a King, to rooms with a King plus Full over Twin trundle day bed (to maximize sleeping spaces without making the room feeling crammed full of beds).

    There are riches in niches, and the devils in the details.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I've got a 3 bed house in coastal Florida, in a residential area.  I don't want too many people in the house, because parties will get us shut down.  As far as beds go, I have a King a Queen and 2 Doubles for the grandkids. 

    I only use white sheets, and have marked the tags with nail polish to discern which size is which.  I went to a patterned sheet from Target for the kids' room.  I wish I'd gone with 2 King beds, to minimize confusion about sheet sizing, but also because they are spacious and I get compliments about the mattress on the King (it is a memory foam, whereas the Queen is a gel hybrid). 

    Someone posted that they use extra long King beds, too, to embrace those extra tall people who struggle to find a comfortable place to sleep.  

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    We have had a few Airbnb's, and also have stayed at many. We always look for Queen or King sized beds. Though our group is all adults. Twin beds tend not to be very comfy. Though, if your area attracts a lot of families with kids, then it may make sense for you to have bunks or twins in one of the bedrooms.

    In our guestbook, it is amazing how many people comment on the comfort of the beds. We tried 2 twins and also a trundle bed in of our smaller bedrooms, and we got feedback they just were not comfy. So, we changed to a Queen bed. 

    If you used 2 Queens in the largest bedroom, and a queen in each of the other 3, that would give you room for 10 people, while keeping the comfort level.

    Also, a day bed can be used in living room (or anywhere else you have room for one) for extra seating during the day, and an additional bed at night.

    Good luck with it!!

  • Residential Real Estate Investor and Broker · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Unless you KNOW your guest profile and it is consistent (like families near Disney or something) then you have no idea, really, how people want to sleep. Are they couples, do some snore (my issue when I rent with my college friends), all friends with everyone wanting their own bed, etc.             

    I've done a fairly in-depth analysis of what rises to the top when people are looking on Airbnb. Typical properties like a 3/2 have tons of competition. More bedrooms, less competition. More beds, less competition. The best is 5+ bedrooms, 14+ guests, 4+bathrms, 14+beds. Very little competition. 

    1800 sf should be way big enough to host 12+ people. I have 1600 sf and had large groups (although it was specifically built with a great layout for that).

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    A Duplex? Never relying on one source for revenue sounds tantalizing. 2be. 1&1/2-2ba. each.

    To answer the full post, I am curious as to how you have the space separated? You could have an umbrella post covering the house as a full rental and then have it (the full house) unavailable when other rooms have been rented out individually. Each door can have an individual keypad lock that is reset upon new guests. Therefore, the bunk bed option is still available for one room. Possibly a full/queen/king, if large enough, in the other front room for different demographics. Same for the upstairs unless two twins are feasible, because stairs. A king with a blow up mattress or two full/queen sized beds in the master suite. Of course video surveillance of common areas. Then your property is not tied down to large parties in the off season and you can let the request cue filled to confirm. Rooms and common areas would be designated and signage would be posted, like a lobby with amenities in a hotel.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Like some mentioned above, the most important is to know your market and what your customers want.  For example if you see the average number of guests in a certain area is 6 guests then it makes sense to have at least as many beds that can fit that number. Don't make decisions based on what you feel is right, look at the data and see which units perform best. Then do that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.