new construction for short term rentals - Airbnb

new construction for short term rentals - Airbnb

NC · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 1 vote

Hey folks, I'm interested in opinions - pros/cons on this strategy of new construction for STR income. I am in my DD period with a contract on the lot for $89k.

Here's my projected numbers on the deal: 

My income/expenses numbers are based on two other properties I own in my market. Both of my current 1BR properties are paid for and gross over $40k each annually. 

I am trying to be smart about my next move and have considered a smaller 6 unit apt building also. Or wait until things are cheaper with an expected recession/downturn? I see that most more seasoned investors don't really like single family homes, but when I compare the income on the 6 unit vs what I'm getting in my market on a single family, it does not seem worth it to own the multi-unit. 

Thanks in advance! 

0Reply
148 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

Your spreadsheet assumes 100% occupancy, which is of course not reasonable.  (there's a note about 2% vacancy, also not reasonable, but even that 2% doesn't appear in the math)

I'd also consider holding costs while the property is under construction, account for cost overruns, etc.

As for the 6 unit, is that also for STR? Depending on your market, those units may not yield nearly so much as a SFR, so do some research on that.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    6y

    @Bryan Harvey if your market doesn't have great returns, start working in one that does?  Sounds like you may be investing a lot of time and money into the wrong market.  Also, please value your time and put in a (fair) cost for property management.  Seems like with property management cost, you have no cashflow.  There are plenty of markets that cashflow turnkey with no property management costs added in to the scenario.

  • Contractor · Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2016 · 917 posts · 266 votes
    6y
    @John D , why do you consider 3 months a long period for new construction?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.