Short Term Rental Arbitrage analysis discussion

Short Term Rental Arbitrage analysis discussion

Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 377 votes

Short Term Rental Arbitrage analysis

This topic keeps coming up recently recently and I feel like a broken record, so thought I would post about it and share how I run an analysis on a potential arbitrage deal, and hopefully spark some discussion and learn how everyone else is doing it. I very much believe that every person knows something that I don’t especially in this group, so thought I would take the opportunity to try and learn from you all. I like using real numbers, so I’ll go through a real analysis that we completed recently.

Side by side duplex in our beach town, within 2 blocks of the ocean, one unit available for rent now at $1200 per month, the other available next October, so a while to wait. The unit in question is a 2/1.5, some recent updates, good location, and nice shape. I located this unit by going to Craigslist homes for rent, and turning on the “Map” function, and then looking at the parts of the island that I know do really well just based on our other units. I put together a list, cold called a few owners, and this guy and I hit it off. I’ve written other posts about that messaging, but this is just for the numbers. So before I called, here’s the analysis, let me know how y’all run yours.

First off, I alway run an AirDNA Rentalizer analysis. This property is 2 beds, 1.5 baths, and I ran the analysis at 4 guests (data has proven against the idea of max beds/heads here, and it’s not worth the hassle) AirDNA shows Gross Annual Revenue of $47,116. (Just ran it again to confirm, because it does fluctuate a little). Now this metric is as a Median performer in the market, meaning that it uses average occupancy, daily rate, seasonality, etc. We always use median metrics, and have so far always beaten those metrics soundly by trying to be a top performer and optimizing and streamlining our listings. PS, there can be a 7-10% standard deviation on this metric if you run the analysis just at the end of peak season versus off-season because it uses the previous 365 days of data, so account for that. The analysis on this unit shows Gross Annual Revenue of roughly 47k, average daily rate of $205, occupancy of 63%, and as expected, a seasonal Revenue Forecast. So here’s the analysis part.

We spend 25% of our gross rents on cleaning fees and airbnb fees after starting our own cleaning company, but I still run my analysis at 30%, which is what it was when we started. So 47k, multiplied by 0.7 is $32,900. Then I subtract my monthly rent, and utilities provided by previous tenants, which is $300 because our water is expensive. Our utilities will usually be less in STR than long term tenants, but thats the number we use. So that's $32,900 minus $18,000 (rent and utilities) which leaves $14,900. Divide that by 12, and we're looking at $1,240 per month profit over a yearly average. Our barrier to entry is that we need to make at least $1,000 per month per listing, so this hits that metric. A couple other things that are important though, we spend $4,000 to stage a 1/1 unit, an extra $500 for porch furniture if needed, and then another $1,000 per additional bedroom, so we'll stage this unit for $5,000. We use that number as a bargaining chip when speaking with the own to justify why we need a minimum of a 2 year lease.

Of course there are always some small Cap Ex, and we build most of that into our cleaning fee. We know that on average we spend $5.40 per booking on cleaning supplies, restocking supplies, coffee grounds, filters, and the occasional broken dish or stained towel, etc. Depending on the size of the unit, we charge $80, or $100 cleaning fees, and we pay $60, and $80 respectively, including laundry. That extra $20 covers that Cap Ex and restocking fees, and a little extra builds up for any larger Cap Ex that ever may occur. On some of our units, we are pet friendly and charge $50 pet fee per pet with a limit of 2. Over the year, those fees stack up and usually create another 3-5, depending on the property, some allowing 3 pets.

So even though we run our analysis using median metrics, between the small extra margins from our cleaning and pet fees, and the fact that the average occupancy for our town is 63%, but out occupancy over the past year and a half has been 88%, as long as we originally line ourselves up to hit that $1,000 a month profit, we set our selves up for fun surprises when it comes in higher than what the median prediction is.

OK, whew, long-winded. What do y’all do differently? Are there any other factors that have proven to help predict value? As our listings grow, it’s easier to lean on that performance more than AirDNA, but so far that still proven to be a solid benchmark for us. Anyone else have a better way?

4Reply
231 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Andrew LeBaron:

Okay, but what is your net profit monthly?

I manage 23 STR's and average monthly net is approx. $900...NET.

I'm curious if I could do the same here in Phoenix?

$4000 to $20,000 net.  My market isn't seasonal.  It depends on unscheduled emergency repairs, planned maintenance and capital spending at a refinery.  Emergency repairs is where the good money is.  The other 2 categories depend on the price of crude oil.  The higher the price, the more money the refinery has for maintenance and capital spending.  If the price of crude is low, they postpone that work until the price of crude comes back up.  When they postpone planned maintenance long enough, it becomes an unscheduled emergency repair.

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Jasper, GA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @ Clint Harris Thank you for the information! I will for sure, take a look at this. I'm super excited to making my life easier.

  • Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 377 votes
    6y
    Ken, I’ll be honest with you, I’ve heard that same reaction and response from a lot of different people.  I have no idea how you operate, or what your strategy is, but to date, not a single person that has had a negative reaction has ever tried to operate in this space.  Lots of Nay sayers, but no one that’s actually doing anything in the STR space.  When we landed our first Arbitrage triplex last year, there was a lot of negative reaction.  Right now, we’ve bought a quadplex this month using some cash from our Arbitrage units, and next month I’m using 60k from the profits from that one Arbitrage deal to purchase a triplex (Closing on Jan 30th).  Being “Stuck with all these leases” isn’t exactly a problem, there’s always an easy exit strategy of putting long term tenants in place, and we could actually still cash flow on most of our units.  Real estate is all about the numbers, and when you let the data and numbers make the decisions for you, it’s not that hard to get it right.  Are you using any data or numbers for your negative assessment, or just opinion.  In terms of being grounded in reality, here are a few of our Arbitrage units that continue to make over $1000 net profit per month, per unit, over a year average.  

    https://www.airbnb.com/users/2...

    Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:
    better analysis: is this really a good idea? Am I relying on theory instead of cold reality? have i accounted for all the risk and all the expenses or am I missing out on a lot that I didn't even imagine?

    since there's no backup plan in Arbitrage, what will I do if this whole thing fails miserably and I'm stuck with all these leases and risk bankruptcy?



    Originally posted by @Tonya Slater:

    @Clint Harris, where can I find this AirDNA Rentalizer analysis? I have narrowed down my locations and have scoped out some houses that I would like to lease and then airbnb then out. 

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    this is illogical or nonsense

    "not a single person that has had a negative reaction has ever tried to operate in this space. Lots of Nay sayers, but no one that's actually doing anything in the STR space."

  • Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 377 votes
    6y
    Sorry Sparky, that’s a fact.  I’m referring to people that have commented negatively on my specific posts, or have messaged me.  I’m not making a blanket statement
    about the earths population, I’m stating that on those posts that I have written, and the responses that I personally received, I have always asked if any of those negative responders have ever operated a short term rental, or worked in Arbitrage, and to date, the answer has always been no.  Cool story though bro.

    Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

    this is illogical or nonsense

    "not a single person that has had a negative reaction has ever tried to operate in this space. Lots of Nay sayers, but no one that's actually doing anything in the STR space."

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    this is uninteresting or useless.

  • Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 377 votes
    6y
    Then why did you comment?  Which one is it Scooter, uninteresting, or useless?  Pick one, and please enlighten me. 

    Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

    this is uninteresting or useless.

  • Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 377 votes
    6y
    And just to see if the streak is still running.... Have you ever purchased and/or operated any short term rental, or ever used the leverage of Arbitrage to generate cash flow?... or just a nay sayer?  How’s the scalding hot STR market in Hatfield, PA?  


    Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

    this is uninteresting or useless.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Clint Harris so much great info here, thanks. I'm a SFH investor in the Raleigh area and have been exploring going the Airbnb route next. How accurate is Airbnb's Rentalyzer in your experience/market? I actually spent a few years growing up on the coast, so this is a market I'm familiar with and would like to target (it would be nice to use the property on some days when it isn't rented too!)

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    just bringing out all your "good" points. keep it up. you dont seem to grasp you are in a str focused forum.

  • Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 377 votes
    6y
    It’s an imperfect science, but so far it’s the best metric that we’ve found for setting a benchmark for performance.  AirDNA uses the previous 365 days of STR bookings scraped from Booking, HomeAway, and AirBNB.  It uses the median performance, so average occupancy, average daily rate (this is gross and includes cleaning fees and AirBNB fees), etc.  there’s definitely no substitute for having eyes on your market and understanding where people want to be, but overall it’s pretty good.  I run a rentalizer analysis on every property here before we move on it, and use that median performance metric to figure out what the margins are.  So far, we’ve been able to beat those metrics pretty well because we try to perform at a high level.  On our first property, AirDNA said we should do 47k, and we did 57k.  That was a 3 bedroom, on some that said we should do 30k, we did 35k.  One thing that’s really important to know, is that in a highly seasonal market, it can be off by 10-15% if you run it on the back end of peak season.  Basically then it’s looking back at 2 peak seasons, so it will come in a little high.  Same thing in the off-season.  If you run it February to February, it will come in a little low.  Not a perfect science, but pretty close.  We always account for 30% of gross rents to go to cleaning fees and Airbnb fees, then take out the debt service and utilities, and a small Cap Ex %.  We run those metrics, and want to see a net profit of $1000 per unit per month over a yearly average.   Then when/if we do outperform those metrics, we set ourselves up for fun surprises.

    Originally posted by @Brad Johnson:

    @Clint Harris so much great info here, thanks. I'm a SFH investor in the Raleigh area and have been exploring going the Airbnb route next. How accurate is Airbnb's Rentalyzer in your experience/market? I actually spent a few years growing up on the coast, so this is a market I'm familiar with and would like to target (it would be nice to use the property on some days when it isn't rented too!)

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Clint Harris you seem to be the exception to the norm.  Congrats on doing something that is working for you in your market.

    I see this exact same discussion in bodybuilding forums.  Some people are dead set on a full body workout routine 3x a week.  Other people advocate a Push Pull Legs or some other split. 

    What the 2 have in common is that you have to do what works for you.  I can't do heavy sets of 6-8 reps.  But I can do moderate weight sets of 12-20 reps  You have to do what works for you.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thanks so much @Clint Harris - incredible insights/advice. You're giving me much more confidence to give it a go!

  • Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 377 votes
    6y
    ok.  Best of luck with the body building.  I’m sure my situation is different than most, we
    had money for a duplex in September 2018, built that into arbitrage for 4 more units in early 2019, and used that to purchased a quadplex in 11/2019.  We Net $1000 per unit per month over a yearly average. Probably not amazing compared to the rest of the world, but currently Doing well and immediately shopping for more units.  Currently looking for a hotel, 20-40 units, that we can convert to invisible service.  Will probably face-plant, but either way, Should be a fun 2020.  

    Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:

    @Clint Harris you seem to be the exception to the norm.  Congrats on doing something that is working for you in your market.

    I see this exact same discussion in bodybuilding forums.  Some people are dead set on a full body workout routine 3x a week.  Other people advocate a Push Pull Legs or some other split. 

    What the 2 have in common is that you have to do what works for you.  I can't do heavy sets of 6-8 reps.  But I can do moderate weight sets of 12-20 reps  You have to do what works for you.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Clint Harris:

    Whoosh.  The posts go way over your head.

  • Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 377 votes
    6y
    sorry, bad joke.  Good luck with your strategy, it’s definitely different than what I typically hear from short term rental investments. Seems like you have a niche in your market dialed in.

    Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:
    Originally posted by @Clint Harris:

    Whoosh.  The posts go way over your head.

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the valuable insight Clint. I don't have a lot of experience with STR arbitrage, but I'm trying to learn more about it. Hoping for more value and feedback on this thread.

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y
    If you want to learn more about it,  then you should start with the recent threads dealing with Arbitrage here.  ARB has a lot of  risks and problems  that the course sellers don't want to tell you about.

    and some of the positivity you hear is from someone who does a lot of it rather than just a few.

    there are few markets where the Newbie Arbitrage Seekers can do well for the next 10 to 20 years. There is a rapidly growing number of competitors and regulators and other factors that will squeeze the prices and occupancy dramatically.




    Originally posted by @Daniel Pessin:

    Thanks for the valuable insight Clint. I don't have a lot of experience with STR arbitrage, but I'm trying to learn more about it. Hoping for more value and feedback on this thread.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Rochester, MI · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Clint Harris - Thanks for sharing your approach and details. Wondering if you'd be willing to share your arbitrage agreement template? I'm just getting started in the Detroit area and it looks like there is still opportunity. I've been running numbers on a lot of properties (some furnished) and about to solidify at least one in the next month. Appreciate any help/direction you are willing to give. Thanks!

  • Investor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 377 votes
    6y

    Sure, send me a DM.  I have a copy at my office and I’ll be back there tomorrow or Monday 

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 92 votes
    6y

    Great discussion and adding from our experience. I think AirDNA is a great for a high level market overview but less useful after you've decided the property "works." After we identify a viable property, we will analyze nearby listing to see if there are many listings (positive since you know the area works), how many Superhosts (positive, again because Pros have validated it), and then analyze the calendars, reviews, etc. (this gets easier the more reps you get).

    I come from a finance background and happy to share my model that I use to analyze deals. We generally try to underwrite the deals both for LTR (so we have a solid exit option if STR doesnt work) and STR.

    Here is the link you can download and use it: https://docsend.com/view/ngjz2...

    Good luck and please share how you are using it so I can improve it based on feedback.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.