"STR Favorite Things" - Pretend you're Oprah

"STR Favorite Things" - Pretend you're Oprah

Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 21 votes

We're closing on our first STR next month (yeah!) and need to get the property set up for renters. Please tell me about some of your favorite STR furnishings/kitchen items/bedding/towels/security gadgets/etc. Put on your Oprah hat. What are the items your guests love? What makes your life easier? What items are the best bang for your buck? Which products hold up well? Have a checklist of items you use to furnish your property - please share! Thanks - I'm looking forward to reading the responses...and shopping :)

4Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Amy Canfield

Our property has a lot of Ikea furnishings (we acquired with it) which hold up well related to their cost (see images below).  They also just look great when properly placed and designed.  As for tech, we have a Nest (but also Honeywell fan) and Schlage/Nexia remote deadbolts for check-in access.  Also utilize Samsung smart home hub to tell me if the back slider is left open after check out (so no bears come to visit while unoccupied). 

All that being said, by FAR the biggest compliment we get is how well stocked the kitchen is.  We have everything you could imagine including Slow Cooker, KitchenAid mixer and plenty of pots, pans and all the little stuff you find in your normal home.  The only thing we have missing is an Insta-pot I think.  Those are always the first compliment we get, is they had everything they needed to cook a meal for the group. 

Congrats again and best of luck! 

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Amy Canfield Zinus green tea mattresses all the way. Super cheap and also really comfortable. We have one in the guest room of our primary that I prefer to the Casper in my own bedroom.

    @@Mindy Jensen just put out a couple individually wrapped makeup wipes per guest. Girls will take all of them with them when they leave if there are more than that!

  • Property Manager · Wisconsin and Florida · Member since 2017 · 346 posts · 227 votes
    6y

    I have a checklist that we use for our property owners. I'll email it to you! 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Hey @Amy Canfield, I second @Avery Carl on the Zinus Green Tea mattress. We have 3 of them and everyone loves em. They are very reasonable, especially when they are on sale.

    I think we paid under $200 for the queens and just about $250 for the King when I got them on sale on Amazon. They can't be beat IMHO.

  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    This group is awesome - you are all so responsive, I love it.  

    @Wendy Schultz thanks! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rohnert Park, CA · Member since 2014 · 306 posts · 160 votes
    6y

    @Valerie Rogers

    I do the same thing as you. I buy black washcloths, and wrap a sign around the washcloth that I print from my computer— makeup washcloths.

    Most people use ithe black washcloth, but I had a guest stay for 2 days last week and she got black and brown makeup on 10 of my white towels!

  • Rental Property Investor · Rohnert Park, CA · Member since 2014 · 306 posts · 160 votes
    6y

    @Amy Canfield

    Not many people have mentioned to get an automatic door lock. These are essential to save the headache of lost keys. Some people use WiFi enabled locks, so you can see when guests, maids, handymen come and go, and you can change the code remotely. You need to buy a monthly service in order to use this system.

    I only have a plain electronic lock, so the guests can use a code to get in and don’t have to worry about a key. I have to go in person to change the lock code with each turnover, but that’s not a big problem. The cleaners could change this code if needed.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    This thread rules

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian N. I agree, I'm going through and making a checklist with all of these.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greensboro, NC · Member since 2019 · 99 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    @Wendy Schultz - I'm about to kick up a short term rental as well. Would you mind sharing the aforementioned list with me as well? :) 

  • Property Manager · Wisconsin and Florida · Member since 2017 · 346 posts · 227 votes
    6y

    Sure! Just message me your email address

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.