"STR Favorite Things" - Pretend you're Oprah

"STR Favorite Things" - Pretend you're Oprah

Investor 路 Madison, WI 路 Member since 2017 路 19 posts 路 21 votes

We're closing on our first STR next month (yeah!) and need to get the property set up for renters. Please tell me about some of your favorite STR furnishings/kitchen items/bedding/towels/security gadgets/etc. Put on your Oprah hat. What are the items your guests love? What makes your life easier? What items are the best bang for your buck? Which products hold up well? Have a checklist of items you use to furnish your property - please share! Thanks - I'm looking forward to reading the responses...and shopping :)

4Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor 路 Roseville, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 893 posts 路 1k+ votes
6y

@Amy Canfield

Our property has a lot of Ikea furnishings (we acquired with it) which hold up well related to their cost (see images below).  They also just look great when properly placed and designed.  As for tech, we have a Nest (but also Honeywell fan) and Schlage/Nexia remote deadbolts for check-in access.  Also utilize Samsung smart home hub to tell me if the back slider is left open after check out (so no bears come to visit while unoccupied). 

All that being said, by FAR the biggest compliment we get is how well stocked the kitchen is.  We have everything you could imagine including Slow Cooker, KitchenAid mixer and plenty of pots, pans and all the little stuff you find in your normal home.  The only thing we have missing is an Insta-pot I think.  Those are always the first compliment we get, is they had everything they needed to cook a meal for the group. 

Congrats again and best of luck! 

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    6y

    They love the view of the lake from our screened back porch that has rocking chairs.

    They love the water and the water toys we provide.

    I love my Honeywell wifi color touchscreen thermostats. 9000 series.

    I live my wifi Rheem water heater

    I love my digital watchdog hardwired security cameras.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 USA 路 Member since 2016 路 909 posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    These! Not so much a guest favorite but a host favorite. Keeps guests from staining your towels and wash cloths with makeup.

    https://www.amazon.com/Black-Make-up-Washcloths-Piece-Set

    I have found guests love having access to a crock pot so they don't have to think about putting dinner together after a day of sight-seeing.

    Make sure you have a full spice rack! I wouldn't go as far as liquid condiments, but spice racks are really nice for the guests to have. We also stock coffee, creamer, and sweetener. Oh and some sort of cooking spray.

  • Investor 路 The worst town to live in, KS 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    6y

    Nice gas and charcoal grills.  Bedrooms that look like Hugh Hefner decorated them.  Living rooms that look like a frat house.

  • Investor 路 Roseville, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 893 posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Amy Canfield

    Our property has a lot of Ikea furnishings (we acquired with it) which hold up well related to their cost (see images below).  They also just look great when properly placed and designed.  As for tech, we have a Nest (but also Honeywell fan) and Schlage/Nexia remote deadbolts for check-in access.  Also utilize Samsung smart home hub to tell me if the back slider is left open after check out (so no bears come to visit while unoccupied). 

    All that being said, by FAR the biggest compliment we get is how well stocked the kitchen is.  We have everything you could imagine including Slow Cooker, KitchenAid mixer and plenty of pots, pans and all the little stuff you find in your normal home.  The only thing we have missing is an Insta-pot I think.  Those are always the first compliment we get, is they had everything they needed to cook a meal for the group. 

    Congrats again and best of luck! 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE 路 Member since 2019 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    As a customer of STRs, please but dressers in the bedrooms. It is very annoying to live out of a suitcase. 

    I also like a large bathroom vanity - no pedestal sinks - so there鈥檚 room for toiletries. If you can鈥檛 fit that, put up shelves instead for that purpose. 

  • Investor 路 Madison, WI 路 Member since 2017 路 19 posts 路 21 votes
    6y

    @Jon Crosby I hadn't considered Ikea...thought it might look cheap...but your photos look great and bang-for-the-buck is a big concern.  I don't want to go broke furnishing this house.  Good point on the kitchen too.  When I visit Airbnb's, the biggest annoyance is when they have hardly any kitchen items - I swear none of them have containers for leftovers.

    @Avery Carl I like the black towel suggestion.  I should buy some of these for my own house - my husband would thank you :)

    @John Underwood thanks for the tech recommendations.  I need to be able to have control from afar and keep an eye on the property.

    @Paul Sandhu I'll go with a grill...but I think my goal is to not attract your guests...haha :)

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host 路 Longmont, CO 路 Member since 2014 路 7k+ posts 路 10k+ votes
    6y

    @Amy Canfield, Please try to cook a full meal in the kitchen. You'll quickly figure out what you need. Baking sheets, 9x12 pans, OVEN MITTS!!! A few dish towels, some dishcloths for hand washing. Wine glasses, plastic cups/utensils/dishes for kiddos. (If you're in a kid-friendly place, consider some of those big Duplo blocks sets - even bigger kids will play with them and they're easy to find/not step on.)

    If you provide non-stick pans, don't provide any utensils that are not compatible - they'll use them and scratch up your pans. If you don't provide non-stick pans, you'll have a lot of stuff stuck to them!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jon Crosby:

    @Amy Canfield

    Our property has a lot of Ikea furnishings (we acquired with it) which hold up well related to their cost (see images below).  They also just look great when properly placed and designed.  As for tech, we have a Nest (but also Honeywell fan) and Schlage/Nexia remote deadbolts for check-in access.  Also utilize Samsung smart home hub to tell me if the back slider is left open after check out (so no bears come to visit while unoccupied). 

    All that being said, by FAR the biggest compliment we get is how well stocked the kitchen is.  We have everything you could imagine including Slow Cooker, KitchenAid mixer and plenty of pots, pans and all the little stuff you find in your normal home.  The only thing we have missing is an Insta-pot I think.  Those are always the first compliment we get, is they had everything they needed to cook a meal for the group. 

    Congrats again and best of luck! 

     Very Nice!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Avery Carl:

    These! Not so much a guest favorite but a host favorite. Keeps guests from staining your towels and wash cloths with makeup.

    https://www.amazon.com/Black-Make-up-Washcloths-Piece-Set/dp/B00GWVWTV4?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3

    I have found guests love having access to a crock pot so they don't have to think about putting dinner together after a day of sight-seeing.

    Make sure you have a full spice rack! I wouldn't go as far as liquid condiments, but spice racks are really nice for the guests to have. We also stock coffee, creamer, and sweetener. Oh and some sort of cooking spray.

     We use these black towels for makeup also. Not sure where my wife got them, but Amazon is a likely candidate.

  • Property Manager 路 Aurora, CO 路 Member since 2014 路 221 posts 路 210 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Avery Carl:

    These! Not so much a guest favorite but a host favorite. Keeps guests from staining your towels and wash cloths with makeup.

    I buy sets of dark grey or navy blue washcloths from Target for guests to use for makeup removal or extra dirty hands. I just put a little sign up in the bathroom that says

    "Please use the dark wash cloths (located in drawer below) to remove make-up or excessive dirt.

    Thanks for your cooperation!"

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2016 路 543 posts 路 716 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Amy Canfield:

    We're closing on our first STR next month (yeah!) and need to get the property set up for renters. Please tell me about some of your favorite STR furnishings/kitchen items/bedding/towels/security gadgets/etc. Put on your Oprah hat. What are the items your guests love? What makes your life easier? What items are the best bang for your buck? Which products hold up well? Have a checklist of items you use to furnish your property - please share! Thanks - I'm looking forward to reading the responses...and shopping :)

     Walk up & down every single aisle of the closest Walmart Superstore. Throw everything into your cart that you realize you forgot about. You will probably need multiple carts - your guests will thank you later 馃洅 馃洅 馃洅

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA 路 Member since 2016 路 8k+ posts 路 7k+ votes
    6y

    Hey @Amy Canfield! There is a ton of great advice in this thread. Here is some of the stuff we have been using that we are very happy with:

    Ikea Oftast plates/bowls etc. They are made in France by Duralex. Pretty much the french equivalent of Corelle. Nothing broken in the 3 years of rentals.

    Costco Charisma quilts. They are lightweight for summer use. They are very washable and hang great on the beds.

    I have been buying the Kohl's Big One cotton/poly blend sheets. They are 70/30 percale weave in white. They have been very durable and bleach up well. The older ones are ready for a bluing but so far zero issues.

    We use the Schlage Smart Connect Z Wave front door lock. It has been working perfect for 3 years. Change the batteries once a year so far. Zero failures and I can remote manage just fine.

    I am using the tri-ply stainless set of pans from Costco. They are pretty nice for the money. I also have provided the Henckels Granitum saute pans. I have them here at home and they are tough and the non-stick is great. They are also resistant to the FORK. That is the first thing guests seem to grab to stir/flip/saute anything. The FORK devastated the Tramontina pans I had.

    American made furniture. Find stuff on Craigslist/Offer Up/LetGo. Nuff said.

    Zinus Green Tea 12" mattresses. I also added a 1.5" gel foam topper and a Serta waterproof cover over it all. They are awesome. Very reasonable for a new mattress and everyone loves the beds.

    TCL Roku TV's I have a 55" a 50" and a 43". Easy to use, reliable and the stay connected to WiFi for streaming. I don't have satellite TV, but no one has ever complained. Just about everyone has some kind of streaming service and the Roku has it on the TV built in.

    Costco Grandeur Hospitality towels. All white. They have been excellent as well. When they are on sale, they are about 3 bucks a towel, less of course for hand and washcloths. I bought another set this fall to start replacing ones that get damaged, but the original ones look good still. Time to blue them up though.

    My wife embroidered some black and grey cheap washcloths with MAKEUP on them. Everyone uses them instead of the white towels/washcloths.

  • Investor 路 Madison, WI 路 Member since 2017 路 19 posts 路 21 votes
    6y

    @Michael Baum yes!  Thanks for the awesome list.  Another host recommended forgoing cable and just getting the Roku TV - he said he hasn't had anyone complain either.  Everyone seems to love Costco towels too...good thing I have a membership.

    @Mindy Jensen good idea on the Duplo blocks.  I have little kids and we're ready to get rid of ours...looks like I know where to put them.  And you're right about the non-stick pans vs. utensils...we'll make sure they are compatible. 

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Staunton, VA 路 Member since 2019 路 194 posts 路 216 votes
    6y

    I've set up around 20 vacation rentals at this point and order almost everything on Amazon, including most furniture (Wayfair is also good for furniture).  I can save a few bucks on my kitchen outfitting list by shopping Walmart isles, but I prefer the convenience of clicking a button.  

    We add coffee bars to each rental and guests love it.  I get a Keurig, k-cup carousel, and two small bowls.  We stock the carousel with k-cups and the bowls with sugars and creamers (all of which I order on Amazon).

    I highly recommend stocking disposable makeup removal wipes.  We finally started doing this after 2 years of replacing probably hundreds of white towels, and the stains have nearly stopped completely.

    Another nifty item I've been putting in all of our rentals is bedroom lamps with USB plug-ins in the base, like you find in hotels.  Guests don't have to pull the bed out to find the wall sockets, they just plug their phone right into the lamp.

    For bedding, get a duvet with two sets of covers.  Rotate your covers each turnover with the rest of your linens.  It's much easier to replace a stained $30 duvet cover than a $100 comforter.  Don't forget mattress protectors!

    Recently I began finding sofas secondhand and saving a lot of $. At first I was against the idea of secondhand furniture and tried ordering sofas online, but 100% of them were horribly uncomfortable. I've been finding very gently used and stylish sofas for $150 or less. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer 路 Redding, CA 路 Member since 2009 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Jon Crosby love that! Where is it?

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer 路 Redding, CA 路 Member since 2009 路 7k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Amy Canfield great thread. Following.

  • Val PearePro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber 路 Wichita, KS 路 Member since 2014 路 62 posts 路 39 votes
    6y

    Hi Amy,

    I just started my first STR the day after Thanksgiving so I'm still a newbie but I read a lot of great information on the forum that gave me a bit of guidance. I make sure to have lots of foil, wax paper, plastic wrap, ziplock bags, to-go coffee cups, storage containers, etc. I would highly recommend staying at your place before you have guests. I did not and I had a few things come up I missed. I too recommend the duvet covers. I do white so they can be bleached. I also spent a lot of time on the design and finishes and most guests comment on that specifically and honestly I think that has what has helped me get bookings. January is typically really slow here for STRs but I am staying consistently booked. Be sure to get professional photography done. So far I have eleven 5 star reviews. I keep in constant communication though and really try to bend over backwards (hopefully I can keep it up LOL). Here are a few pics of mine.

  • Investor 路 Roseville, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 893 posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @Jon Crosby love that! Where is it?

    Thanks Karen, we are in Tahoe City, near Squaw Valley.  : )

  • Holly BrownBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 190 posts 路 137 votes
    6y

    @Lauren Kormylo

    Could not agree more on the dressers!

    Invest In Houston Real Estate Team
  • Karen ChenaillePro Member
    Real Estate Agent 路 Sevierville, TN 路 Member since 2017 路 165 posts 路 137 votes
    6y

    @Amy Canfield

    Great thread! TV鈥檚 are a big deal. To cut overhead we went to 100% streaming. Most guests are ok with it because we provide free Sling orange and blue. I have found a lot of guests really like their sports so don鈥檛 skimp on the channel lineup if you decide to go the streaming route.

    Totally concur on the black washcloth hack. I get mine from Wally World.

    Best of luck to you!

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host 路 Longmont, CO 路 Member since 2014 路 7k+ posts 路 10k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Chase Hoover:

    I highly recommend stocking disposable makeup removal wipes.  We finally started doing this after 2 years of replacing probably hundreds of white towels, and the stains have nearly stopped completely. 

    How do you display these? Do you get a big container or individually-wrapped wipes? Do you have a sign asking guests to use them? This is a worry for me, as I know that makeup doesn't come off those towels - even with bleach! 

  • Investor 路 The worst town to live in, KS 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    6y

    If you get an HDTV, mount it on the wall in a place that does not have much foot traffic in front of it.  If it's on a table, it's not a question of IF it'll get broken.  It's a question of WHEN it'll get broken.

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Staunton, VA 路 Member since 2019 路 194 posts 路 216 votes
    6y

    I have a little jar on the vanity and have my cleaner set out 5 each turnover.  I have a little laminated sign leaning on the jar saying "please use makeup wipes, stained towels will be charged to guest".  

    I wouldn't recommend setting out bulk quantities of them (or any other supplies) because they will disappear quickly.  We have set quantities of each item we set out per turnover.  5 dishwasher pods, 5 laundry pods, 2 paper towel rolls, 2 trash bags, etc.  

  • Multifamily Syndicator 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Amy Canfield 

    Signed in Netflix... :)

  • Investor 路 Madison, WI 路 Member since 2017 路 19 posts 路 21 votes
    6y

    What about mattresses?  There's way too many to choose from...which ones are comfy AND affordable?  I don't want anyone complaining about the bed.  Thanks - so many great recommendations in this thread.

    @Chase Hoover, @Jon Crosby, @Avery Carl, @Michael Baum, @Mindy Jensen

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.