Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 121 posts · 43 votes
I had a family booked this past weekend. After checking in they called and said there was mold in 1 of the 3 bathrooms at it was unsafe to stay there. The truth is, there was a very small area of mold in the shower ceiling. It wiped right off with a sponge. Regardless, they refused to stay and received a full refund.
The guest then left a review saying all the bathrooms had mold and it was an unsafe house to stay in. Mind you, we’ve had 4 - 5 star reviews in the past 5 weeks.
His review was full of outrageous exaggerations and untruths. Outright lies about a leaky roof, etc. Airbnb refuses to do anything about it. I had a mold expert out already who has verified there isn’t a mold issue and immediately took video that shows no other issues. What can I do to get the review removed?
Thanks for the replies. This has been a STR for about 4 years with over 100 5 star reviews. Eventually this review will be buried by dozens of good ones, but it will have an effect. This is the time of year I book up summer at very high rates. I'm sure it will be more difficult with this sitting at the top.
I am going to file a small claims action against his guest for $10k and hope to just get them to remove the review and I will drop the case.
if you have that many positive reviews, I'd never think a thing about it. It's not even a blip. Move on.
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
If it’s vrbo, they had to stay there to leave a review. I would assume air bnb has a similar policy. You can’t really leave a review for a place you didn’t stay in. It’s really crappy for them to leave a negative review after you refunded their entire stay. but there’s always knuckleheads out there. If you have sufficient positive reviews then probably no one will pay attention.
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
Hey @Kevin Boyd, you should at least leave an reply to the review. Explain what happened. Take a look at this and see what you can do. There appears to be a process:
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y
@Kevin Boyd. It’s all policies and procedures with Airbnb. It’s a big corporation. More often than not they take the guests side no matter how much $$ the host brings in each year. Removing a review CAN be done but the review must break Airbnb’s review rules. Your brief description did sound a bit like it may violate the rules by basically attacking your properties character. If Airbnb has already said NO more than once.... you’re likely stuck with it.
You’ve got to learn the lingo! When you call Airbnb to have a review removed make sure you know exactly which rule(s) that review violates and use the PROPER TERMINOLOGY. You’re calling low paid labor on the other end of the line. They have NO idea what it’s like to own a home and can’t grasp the concept of renting one. They’ve been trained in policies and procedures and you have to know their job better than they do. Which really isn’t difficult.
You do have another option..... it sounds like this is a new listing. You can take it down and start over. You’d have to cancel future bookings but could be worth it to get rid of a 1 star in the early days.
I know it feels awful when this happens. But..... this is the business we have chosen.
The listing sites make it very difficult to impact reviews. For the most part this is a good thing. I 'get it' for why they lean towards doing nothing. If we could pick and choose what reviews remained on our site they would be of very little use.
The advise being offered here is solid. We, as owners and business operators, need to be realistic in our expectations. If you call up AirBnB or Homeaway and say "it's broke and you need to fix it", you'll get nowhere. You need to have documentation and proof and a solid reason for why you want them to do something.
If you are pretty new to this I'd recommend that you research credit card chargebacks. This is another area where if you don't have your act together you will eventually get burned. Also research fraudulent renters and the methods that they use. There are a handful of techniques that get repeated.
Bad reviews are hurtful. Most consumers know this. Only turkey-feathered dips..ts leave 1 star reviews that are meant to do harm. When I read through reviews for a product I will take a look at the one-stars and they usually are crap. It's the 3 and 4 star reviews that I tend to focus on to find the negative side of a product. That said, if 1 stars dominate I'm gone. If you have mostly 5 star reviews and one 1 star review it won't impact potential customers much. It can move you down in the rankings on VRBO or AirBnB. That's the biggest problem.
For sure, leave a reply to the comment. Keep it short and non-vindictive (judgemental?). Take the high road. Admit that there was a small amount of surface mold in one of the shower areas and that you have had it removed, and brought in professionals to look for other problems of which none were found. Indicate that this guest was provided a full refund upon their request. Be done right there.
There are for sure people out there looking to scam. They will act differently than what you are describing. They will want to stay for a week and not pay anything and they will threaten you with bad reviews if you don't do as they say. We all hope that we don't get these people and have our personal methods for vetting renters when they initially inquire. There is quite a lot of information on the internet about this if you do some research. The Homeaway forums are a pretty good source.
Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
6y
You should be able to get any mention of mold removed if you have a professional report stating that the home was inspected and no mold found.
It's very unusual that a guest left a review after receiving a full refund. Sounds very vindictive.
You can also create a new listing and hide the other. The hidden one can still serve out the existing reservations. However, the review will still be there but will be tied to the previous listing's name so make sure you change the name of the new listing.
Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 706 posts · 611 votes
6y
Honestly I don't even fight with Airbnb anymore regarding reviews. I'd just duplicate the listing and move on. Use your past good reviews by placing them in the photo area of your new listing and start from there. Good luck on your investing journey.
Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 121 posts · 43 votes
6y
Thanks for the replies. This has been a STR for about 4 years with over 100 5 star reviews. Eventually this review will be buried by dozens of good ones, but it will have an effect. This is the time of year I book up summer at very high rates. I'm sure it will be more difficult with this sitting at the top.
I am going to file a small claims action against his guest for $10k and hope to just get them to remove the review and I will drop the case.
Thanks for the replies. This has been a STR for about 4 years with over 100 5 star reviews. Eventually this review will be buried by dozens of good ones, but it will have an effect. This is the time of year I book up summer at very high rates. I'm sure it will be more difficult with this sitting at the top.
I am going to file a small claims action against his guest for $10k and hope to just get them to remove the review and I will drop the case.
if you have that many positive reviews, I'd never think a thing about it. It's not even a blip. Move on.
Thanks for the replies. This has been a STR for about 4 years with over 100 5 star reviews. Eventually this review will be buried by dozens of good ones, but it will have an effect. This is the time of year I book up summer at very high rates. I'm sure it will be more difficult with this sitting at the top.
I am going to file a small claims action against his guest for $10k and hope to just get them to remove the review and I will drop the case.
If you have that many positive reviews then responding to this review as hogwash, and referring to your 100+ positive reviews, will have potential guests chalking this negative review up as vindictive.
What are you going to sue him for? I don't think he has any ability to remove a review once both your reviews are posted.
I had a family booked this past weekend. After checking in they called and said there was mold in 1 of the 3 bathrooms at it was unsafe to stay there. The truth is, there was a very small area of mold in the shower ceiling. It wiped right off with a sponge. Regardless, they refused to stay and received a full refund.
The guest then left a review saying all the bathrooms had mold and it was an unsafe house to stay in. Mind you, we’ve had 4 - 5 star reviews in the past 5 weeks.
His review was full of outrageous exaggerations and untruths. Outright lies about a leaky roof, etc. Airbnb refuses to do anything about it. I had a mold expert out already who has verified there isn’t a mold issue and immediately took video that shows no other issues. What can I do to get the review removed?
Welcome to the internet. Nothing you can do but plug away, do your thing well, and stack positive reviews. I've got a couple negative ones myself, one I'm not going to comment on (my only closed past client that does NOT get happy birthday cards from me :P ), the other from someone I'd never worked with before. Just how it is.
The reality is that when a consumer sees 50 reviews that are all 5-star, it looks fake and curated, so as long as you've got a bunch of great ones next to the few negative ones, it will look more authentic.
The platform collecting the reviews, on their end, needs a few negative ones mixed in for that same reason. Credibility. Platforms where 50 reviews that are all 5-star is the "norm" will consider the few negative reviews to be a credibility asset, so you're never having any of those removed, no matter how off-base.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Write a SHORT response including that they got a full refund and did not stay. For negative reviews I always look for a response but I am not going to read a huge story. The star system is pretty useless because everyone gets an A until they don't. The more important points are hopefully stated for the reader in the beginning of a review/response.
Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 121 posts · 43 votes
6y
Maybe Ken you're the kind of guy who is OK not doing anything while someone is slandering you and effecting your livelihood. I'm not. I am having a mold report written by an expert today. Small claims action is already filed. If Airbnb is more concerned with me protecting my business than they are with the 5 properties doing over $600k in annual business with them, I can live without them. In the meantime, I will add you to my "101 people most likely to let dishonest people take advantage of".
Maybe Ken you're the kind of guy who is OK not doing anything while someone is slandering you and effecting your livelihood. I'm not. I am having a mold report written by an expert today. Small claims action is already filed. If Airbnb is more concerned with me protecting my business than they are with the 5 properties doing over $600k in annual business with them, I can live without them. In the meantime, I will add you to my "101 people most likely to let dishonest people take advantage of".
Rental Property Investor · Houston TX / Tacoma WA. · Member since 2019 · 166 posts · 89 votes
6y
@Kevin Boyd
Ask to talk with a different Airbnb representative. Claim that they where laying and prove it with video, also the mold inspector should be beyond what is needed to prove they are lying.
Maybe Ken you're the kind of guy who is OK not doing anything while someone is slandering you and effecting your livelihood. I'm not. I am having a mold report written by an expert today. Small claims action is already filed. If Airbnb is more concerned with me protecting my business than they are with the 5 properties doing over $600k in annual business with them, I can live without them. In the meantime, I will add you to my "101 people most likely to let dishonest people take advantage of".
Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 121 posts · 43 votes
6y
I did read everyone's response and appreciate each of them. However, your response of "I think I will add this response to the list of "101 stupid things to do when you get a negative review." was not appreciated. It is simple and cheap to file a small claims case. My opinion is that this particular review will cost me many thousands of dollars. I am in a very competitive market and a review that says the place is full of mold, unsafe, etc. will have people going elsewhere as opposed to my place which is priced higher than most others in the area (due to amenities). I'll be willing to bet once he is served he will remove his review. BTW, in addition to the bad review, they broke into the pool controls and set the pool temp to 103 degrees. Took 5 days to realize. I'm sure that cost over $500 in gas.
Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
6y
1. you should be able to remove the review with the inspection report
2. i dont believe the guest can remove a review after both reviews are posted. only airbnb can do this
3. respond effectively to his review to mitigate its effect
4. the fact that you are on AirBnB is why you are generating $600K in revenue. If you were to remove your listing form their platform you'd be doing much less. trust me, i've contemplated removing myself as well due to poor experience with their support but it did not make business sense. roll with the punches.
Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
6y
What you said below makes me now up to. 104 stupid things. Yank his listing off Airbnb because of the review? Unbelievable.
He just doesn't get any of this. But since he also got offended by me having an opinion, I get the feeling he gets offended easily anyone who doesn't agree with him.
The guest is allowed to have an opinion. The judge is not going toward him money or make the guest remove his opinion. He already admitted there was some mold. And he will not be able to prove his case most likely.
He's about 10 years behind the curve about what happens when a business tries to get a negative review removed. I was under the impression people came on here understood. Everyone is trying to tell him but he ignores it.
4. the fact that you are on AirBnB is why you are generating $600K in revenue. If you were to remove your listing form their platform you'd be doing much less. trust me, i've contemplated removing myself as well due to poor experience with their support but it did not make business sense. roll with the punches.