Are you affected by SXSW 2020 being cancelled?

Are you affected by SXSW 2020 being cancelled?

New to Real Estate · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes

I know the news just broke and it might be too soon to tell. But I would love to learn as a case study for investing in AirBNB and other STR. How much revenue does SXSW bring to the Austin investors and how will the lack of the big event affect your annual revenues?

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 200 votes
6y

Short term rentals is the 1st market to die during the virus - even before the airlines.   I have friends who holds hundreds prime short term rentals in China, Korea and Japan.  All said for the past 6 weeks, short term rental market has fallen to ZERO - literally zero business.   People do NOT travel at all for being scared.  Same thing is happening in Italy.   

I feel it is starting in the US.  I am skiing in Lake Tahoe this weekend, and my Airbnb rental (great location) is the cheapest I have ever got.   Such low rates is likely due to low demand already.   If you have lot of short term rentals, my suggestion is to build up some cash to weather the storm - extra cleaning will not help.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    I wonder how this will shake out.

    Will more people travel and stay domestically?  Will people just not go anywhere?

    Should we take extra measures when having our properties cleaned between guests?

    Most of this is a wait and see I suspect.

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Arian Moreno SXSW is a massive boon to Austin and most AirBnB properties can see 400+% increases in rent amounts during the convention. I expect the cancellation was at least a $300-400 million dollar hit to the local economy. It isn’t affecting residential sales in anyway, but will definitely hurt the short term rental market and local businesses.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 200 votes
    6y

    Short term rentals is the 1st market to die during the virus - even before the airlines.   I have friends who holds hundreds prime short term rentals in China, Korea and Japan.  All said for the past 6 weeks, short term rental market has fallen to ZERO - literally zero business.   People do NOT travel at all for being scared.  Same thing is happening in Italy.   

    I feel it is starting in the US.  I am skiing in Lake Tahoe this weekend, and my Airbnb rental (great location) is the cheapest I have ever got.   Such low rates is likely due to low demand already.   If you have lot of short term rentals, my suggestion is to build up some cash to weather the storm - extra cleaning will not help.

  • Riverside, CA · Member since 2017 · 412 posts · 296 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Kelly:

    @Arian Moreno SXSW is a massive boon to Austin and most AirBnB properties can see 400+% increases in rent amounts during the convention. I expect the cancellation was at least a $300-400 million dollar hit to the local economy. It isn’t affecting residential sales in anyway, but will definitely hurt the short term rental market and local businesses.

     Just bring your can of Lysol along. ;-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Arian Moreno not related to SXSW, but I own an STR in Kissimmee and just received my first cancellation request for later this month related to the coronavirus. A conference a guest was schedule to attend in the area might be cancelled and that coupled with concerns over the virus prompted them to ask about cancellation.

  • New to Real Estate · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Kelly

    I couldn’t imagine it effecting residential. But I am also interested to see how this effects small businesses/commercial leases that were counting on the event every year to keep them afloat. It’s unfortunate but could be a great opportunity to acquire businesses and help ease the burden off of the owners.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Off topic @Edward Liu but I received an email yesterday that aidbnb has lifted cancelation policies in China and Japan. Meaning guests can cancel with no repercussions regardless if the hosts cancelation policy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 354 votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Conaghan there have been multiple conventions canceling in Orlando. Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society's global health conference, The Grainger Show, and McDonalds worldwide conference are all larger size events that cancelled. My W2 role has me in the heart of knowing what's happening in the accommodations business and strategic discussions on how to mitigate impacts. Needless to say, it's been a crazy week with little time to focus on REI.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    A STR in East Austin I've seen the numbers of (not mine) had on average an 80% jump in revenue in the month of March year over year, no doubt due to SXSW.


    Outside of REI it's going to be interesting to see how local businesses rally to still hold events.

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 92 votes
    6y

    @Nathan Estochen

    I have friends who operate in Seattle and it’s really bad out there for STRs - especially for operators using a pure lease arb strategy.

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Im flying to vegas for my bachelor party in a couple weeks. Flights from the east coast are literally 75 dollars round trip right now.  Too bad we booked flights a while ago. I am expecting some huge promotions to get people in casinos while we are there.  To me there is a difference in being cautious and living your life in total fear that something is going to happen to you. No way in hell we are cancelling unless a plane refuses to take off or airports shut down.

  • Rental Property Investor · Navarre, FL · Member since 2019 · 913 posts · 640 votes
    6y

    We have paid a deposit for a VRBO in Destin FL for a June stay. I've asked my wife to check on canceling it, since, well you know, the virus. 

    I work in EMS. I think I'll start carrying an N95 mask with me everywhere now. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    The number of people wearing masks is actually way down from previous years in Vegas. Maybe they’ve finally seen the news reports about how they don’t help. Or the reports about how only  1 person in Nevada has caught it. Or how the flu will kill 200 times more people. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.