Never Break Your Policies!

Never Break Your Policies!

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Policy: NO last minute one nighter with more than X (depends on property) people.

Broke my rule due to current situation.

Ended up with a door busted down.

No big deal hell I just replaced a door at another property last week all it takes is a phone call. BUT I should have known better.

7Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @John Underwood:
Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

@John Underwood Last minute one-nighters are a big red flag, at least in our area.  If the number of adults is disproportionate to the usual accommodations then there's a good chance it's a party.  

He can likely send the photos to AirBNB with a receipt for the replacement and AirBNB will reimburse, but it's a pain and depends on AirBNB's approval.

I probably would've made the same exception too, this is a good reminder to still exercise caution!

I have never set my minimum stay below 2 nights. It seems like too much work handling a turnover that amount of money. So I can see why if someone requested it that would be a red flag.

I had a problem with a PROM party where the adult booked the house, but only a bunch of kids showed up. My neighbor alerted me to what was going on. Luckily I had no damage just a messy house and trash everywhere. I now have security cameras so I can keep an eye on who is coming and going and something like this would be stopped right away.

 I'll allow one-nighters to fill a gap in my calendar, as my properties are small (one bedroom) and it's not a big hassle to turn it around.  Otherwise my minimum is 2 nights, with longer requirements for holidays. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · The Villages, FL · Member since 2017 · 341 posts · 398 votes
    6y

    Ugh, It is so tempting, but good reminder. I hope this is all over soon, it's such a burden on so many. Stay Well everyone!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    So this happened because it was a one night reservation? Or because they had a bunch of people?

    Can you take the damage out of their deposit?

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @John Underwood Last minute one-nighters are a big red flag, at least in our area.  If the number of adults is disproportionate to the usual accommodations then there's a good chance it's a party.  

    He can likely send the photos to AirBNB with a receipt for the replacement and AirBNB will reimburse, but it's a pain and depends on AirBNB's approval.

    I probably would've made the same exception too, this is a good reminder to still exercise caution!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    @John Underwood Last minute one-nighters are a big red flag, at least in our area.  If the number of adults is disproportionate to the usual accommodations then there's a good chance it's a party.  

    He can likely send the photos to AirBNB with a receipt for the replacement and AirBNB will reimburse, but it's a pain and depends on AirBNB's approval.

    I probably would've made the same exception too, this is a good reminder to still exercise caution!

    I have never set my minimum stay below 2 nights. It seems like too much work handling a turnover that amount of money. So I can see why if someone requested it that would be a red flag.

    I had a problem with a PROM party where the adult booked the house, but only a bunch of kids showed up. My neighbor alerted me to what was going on. Luckily I had no damage just a messy house and trash everywhere. I now have security cameras so I can keep an eye on who is coming and going and something like this would be stopped right away.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    @John Underwood Last minute one-nighters are a big red flag, at least in our area.  If the number of adults is disproportionate to the usual accommodations then there's a good chance it's a party.  

    He can likely send the photos to AirBNB with a receipt for the replacement and AirBNB will reimburse, but it's a pain and depends on AirBNB's approval.

    I probably would've made the same exception too, this is a good reminder to still exercise caution!

    I have never set my minimum stay below 2 nights. It seems like too much work handling a turnover that amount of money. So I can see why if someone requested it that would be a red flag.

    I had a problem with a PROM party where the adult booked the house, but only a bunch of kids showed up. My neighbor alerted me to what was going on. Luckily I had no damage just a messy house and trash everywhere. I now have security cameras so I can keep an eye on who is coming and going and something like this would be stopped right away.

     I'll allow one-nighters to fill a gap in my calendar, as my properties are small (one bedroom) and it's not a big hassle to turn it around.  Otherwise my minimum is 2 nights, with longer requirements for holidays. 

  • Paul CoxPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 193 posts · 156 votes
    6y

    I just allowed a local to book our cabin...They work in Gatlinburg and are from some Eastern European country originally (thinking Ukraine). Anyway, with all the cancellations I've had, they booked one of the cancellation weekends. She had 5 positive reviews and so I have gone against my gut allowing the instant book to continue. I know there are at least 5 there as they called me last night wanting to know how the grill works. I'm holding my breath and praying that she earned those good reviews and that I'm going to be able to give her a good review. If not, they will have ruined it for any other future local wanting to rent from me!  Sorry for the busted door @Luke Carl and thanks for sharing and reminding us all.

    Paul

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 149 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl

    Did they at least own up to it and apologize and offer to pay for repairs?

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 241 posts · 254 votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl is right, always stick to your guns. Those 1 or two bookings won’t make a difference in a year but damage, or having to cancel a follow-on booking will make a difference.

    I think we all have at least 1 of these moments but it is so much more tempting during this crisis to make exceptions.

  • John McGonigalPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    I’m considering canceling a short notice instant booking that appears to be a group of college students trying to find a place to spring break in Branson. The booked yesterday and arrive on Monday. Hate to do it, but it doesn’t pass the sniff test.  I asked the guy who booked to state the reason for their visit, and for the makeup of the group, and haven’t received a response.


    I hope I can justify under the AirBnB COVID guidelines.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 241 posts · 254 votes
    6y

    You should be able to do that just under their policy of not feeling good about the reservation.

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    I read a couple of months ago same-day bookings cause 4.3 times as much problems as others.

    given the 80/20 rule, it was an easy thing to remove.

  • John McGonigalPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    @Chuck Kramer the way I read the AirBnB policy on COVID is we would be penalized under normal cancellation rules unless the guest initiates or requests we cancel on their behalf for COVID. 

    As new hosts, We were on track to earn Superhost status on April 1st. That now appears in jeopardy if we initiate the cancellation.

    I would think the guest has a requirement to respond to our message asking for clarification of their group makeup and visit intent. Our stated house rule is no parties and the person booking needs to be at least 25 yo.

    Can they just ignore us and show up asking for entry? 



  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 149 posts · 102 votes
    6y

    @John M.

    Just tell them to contact you before you give them check in info they can’t get there or In without that

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    @John Underwood Last minute one-nighters are a big red flag, at least in our area.  If the number of adults is disproportionate to the usual accommodations then there's a good chance it's a party.  

    He can likely send the photos to AirBNB with a receipt for the replacement and AirBNB will reimburse, but it's a pain and depends on AirBNB's approval.

    I probably would've made the same exception too, this is a good reminder to still exercise caution!

    Julie nailed it as always. I allow one nighters to fill in gaps. My minimum night stay is 2. I use the “rule sets.” Logistically it’s no problem and my housekeeper appreciates the work.  

    I sent pics and a few messages and eventually the guest replied and admitted. I filed a resolution for $200. They can decline the resolution and still leave a bad review. So I could end up with a busted down door AND a bad review. That’s AirBnB for you. We have to be smarter than them. And as uncle Paul says..... mind readers.


    I can’t get one vote on the OP??  😂

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I started denying rentals to certain classes of tenants that I have had problems with.  I have had much fewer problems.  The class of tenants is based on their occupation.  I'll just call their occupation "unskilled labor".  They are psychotic mutts.

    Skilled labor I welcome with open arms.  Boilermakers, electricians, inspectors.  They are not psychotic mutts.

    Welders and pipefitters.  They can be psychotic or they can be a mutt, but they are not both.

  • Real Estate Agent · Texas Tennessee · Member since 2019 · 93 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl you’re old adage of the more they pay, the less they complain is also applying too. I lowered my prices to fill a cancellation and am dealing with my neediest guests ever. So ready to go back to normal operations.

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl I am so sorry this happened. Like you said, no big deal but a good reminder to stick to our policies. They are in place for a reason. Stay safe. 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    When there is minor wall damage to one of my STRs, I'll put up a painting of a nekkid woman to cover up the damage.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 241 posts · 254 votes
    6y

    @John McGonigal They still have the "uncomfortable" rule. But you need to call for that. I just used it 3 days ago for someone that was asking about how large the living room was, how many people fit on the deck, and can the exterior cameras be turned off -- even though they booked a month ago. Also sending you a PM.

  • John McGonigalPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    @Chuck Kramer thanks for that info! I was able to talk to the individual and he agreed to cancel, so this potential crisis is averted.

    I’m sure this question is addressed in other posts, but since today’s topic addresses policy, what are considered best practices as it pertains to AirBnB booking requirements? We currently allow instant bookings and don’t require a government ID or host review. 

    We  thought this approach was good to build up quick bookings and positive reviews before the 1 April Superhost assessment. Now that that is accomplished, we’d like to know what other seasoned hosts use as standard practice that isn’t too restrictive in nature and doesn’t inhibit  steady bookings... but reduces risk to the property.  Thanks

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 241 posts · 254 votes
    6y

    @John McGonigal It depends on your market and guest profiles. In the Smokies, you want an ID on file and verified, 25+ yrs old is the standard here to rent. Instant bookings are ok when you select ID verified, has traveled before, has a review. But ABB will let you decline an instant book if you are uncomfortable with it. Problem is, you often don't have enough info to determine that. But more experienced hosts who have the time and investment to protect often communicate with guests to find a bot more about them; like what they do, why are they coming, who are the members of their party. 

    The Smokies is such a popular destination (20M people annually) that we attract a lot of great people, but also some not-do-great people. Most of them use local property managers as they know most Pms don't care as long as they get their fees. They also bottom-feed owners looking for those who will take a lot less just to book as they know they are more vulnerable. These are the people that will bring 12 to your 2 bedroom cabin, or have parties, or cause damage or leave a huge mess. Its hard to weed them out but the communication can often give you enough to base a gut-feeling on.

    Instant Book is supposed to rank higher but I am not sure anyone can verify that.

    Based on recent events, you want to think long and hard about AirBNB. Their decision to override owners cancellation policies and take thousands -- tens and hundreds of thousands -- of dollars out of owners pockets and even putting out false information about COVID-19 events in areas just to make themselves look good clearly shows that they value guests over hosts. Only you can decide if you want that kind of partner. When all this shakes out it will be interesting to see what happens to their inventory. Not to mention the class-action suits that are coming here and governments stepping up in other countries where local economies were completely hosed by them.

  • Developer · Atlanta Ga · Member since 2011 · 47 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    @John Underwood John - do you mind if I ask what type of security cameras you use? I'm closing on some properties next week that will be STR's eventually. Just curious as to what brand you used and if you're happy with the clarity of them.

  • John McGonigalPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    @Chuck Kramer thanks for taking the time for this detailed response! Our condos are in Branson, so generally the guests are families looking to experience Silver Dollar City or older guests who attend the many shows offered in town. It’s definitely more family focused as compared to party/nightlife vacation locations. Although, we’ve had great experience with the relaxed booking requirements, we’ll likely add the government ID and previous positive host review in order to instant book.

    For us, AirBnB seems to be where most of the reservations come in here at Branson. We’ve had substantially fewer bookings with VRBO.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Peterson:

    @John Underwood John - do you mind if I ask what type of security cameras you use? I'm closing on some properties next week that will be STR's eventually. Just curious as to what brand you used and if you're happy with the clarity of them.

     I use Digital watchdog cameras and software. It is much higher end than the wifi cameras you get in a box store.

    Mine are ethernet and get power over ethernet so I never have to worry about changing batteries.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Chuck Kramer when you say Airbnb is "putting out false information about COVID-19 events in areas just to make themselves look good", what are you referring to?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.