Never Break Your Policies!

Never Break Your Policies!

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Policy: NO last minute one nighter with more than X (depends on property) people.

Broke my rule due to current situation.

Ended up with a door busted down.

No big deal hell I just replaced a door at another property last week all it takes is a phone call. BUT I should have known better.

7Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @John Underwood:
Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

@John Underwood Last minute one-nighters are a big red flag, at least in our area.  If the number of adults is disproportionate to the usual accommodations then there's a good chance it's a party.  

He can likely send the photos to AirBNB with a receipt for the replacement and AirBNB will reimburse, but it's a pain and depends on AirBNB's approval.

I probably would've made the same exception too, this is a good reminder to still exercise caution!

I have never set my minimum stay below 2 nights. It seems like too much work handling a turnover that amount of money. So I can see why if someone requested it that would be a red flag.

I had a problem with a PROM party where the adult booked the house, but only a bunch of kids showed up. My neighbor alerted me to what was going on. Luckily I had no damage just a messy house and trash everywhere. I now have security cameras so I can keep an eye on who is coming and going and something like this would be stopped right away.

 I'll allow one-nighters to fill a gap in my calendar, as my properties are small (one bedroom) and it's not a big hassle to turn it around.  Otherwise my minimum is 2 nights, with longer requirements for holidays. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 280 posts · 221 votes
    6y

    @Lucas Carl such a great reminder. Every time, every single time we’ve made an exception for a local or hosted someone we didn’t feel entirely comfortable with, we have regretted it. Trust your gut and stick to your policies!

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 241 posts · 254 votes
    6y

    @Lauren Kormylo Guests were getting messages saying their reservation qualified for extenuating circumstances due to the incident in XXXXXXX (substitute with any city). Essentially inciting them to cancel.

    In our case it was saying Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, or Sevierville. There were no incidents. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Looks like a good opportunity to replace the hollow door with a solid wood door. That way the next idiot will have a broken hand as a memento of their stay.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Rich Meister I thought about that but then I’d have to replace the rest of the doors and they’d just be more expensive the next time someone breaks one lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.