Do I need internet in both units of a STR duplex or just one?

Do I need internet in both units of a STR duplex or just one?

Rental Property Investor · PA & NJ · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 11 votes

Hi all- probably a silly question, but I'm about to call the internet provider in my area to hook up my duplex that I'm using as a STR/vacation rental and wanted to know if I need a separate internet hook up for each unit or if I could just have one internet hook up.

It’s an up/down duplex and since I’m paying the utilities, I was thinking I wouldn’t need it separated. I’m just thinking if there’s ever an issue with the WiFi the one unit without the modem/router won’t be able to reset it. I’m pretty sure the signal strength would be plenty strong to serve both units but I’m curious what do most people do in this situation?

Obviously paying for one internet subscription for the duplex would be preferable.

Any thought?

Thanks!

1Reply
84 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 42 votes
6y

First time I am the one with the answers here and not the questions!!! This is very exciting :)

You should only have one subscription and pay for 1 bill.  However, you’ll want to create 2 separate Wi-Fi networks for a couple of reasons: 1) Security and privacy of the renters from one unit to the other. Pretty easy to monitor what other people on your same network are doing... 2) A person in the Wi-Fi can scan all devices connected to that Wi-Fi... this has now become common since there were a few prominent cases of creepy hosts with hidden cameras to spy on their guests (use a 3rd wi-fi if you want to hide other legitimate equipment for this reason to avoid misunderstanding — e.g. a doorbell camera pointed OUT of the property).  3) You can control the bandwidth of each network and keep it balanced 50/50... so if one guest is running 5 Netflix shows doesn’t impact the speed of the other

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Install it in one, and make sure the signal is strong throughout the property.  Ask if the provider can remotely restart the modem in case of a problem (if you're leasing their equipment, they can likely do this).  If the answer is yes to both, hooray you just saved yourself a cable bill.  If it doesn't reach the second unit well, obviously you need another subscription.  If it's just a matter of being able to troubleshoot the occasional modem problem, I'd take that risk any day. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Hey @Brad Spuhler, I am with @Julie McCoy on this. Your best bet it so put it somewhere close to the other unit so you get the best coverage.

    Most of the better routers will have coverage enough for both units. If not, you could try a mesh type system. There are several on the market that can extend your range to cover both units.

    I am a fan of 2 separate units for the modem and the router. The both can be managed remotely.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    First time I am the one with the answers here and not the questions!!! This is very exciting :)

    You should only have one subscription and pay for 1 bill.  However, you’ll want to create 2 separate Wi-Fi networks for a couple of reasons: 1) Security and privacy of the renters from one unit to the other. Pretty easy to monitor what other people on your same network are doing... 2) A person in the Wi-Fi can scan all devices connected to that Wi-Fi... this has now become common since there were a few prominent cases of creepy hosts with hidden cameras to spy on their guests (use a 3rd wi-fi if you want to hide other legitimate equipment for this reason to avoid misunderstanding — e.g. a doorbell camera pointed OUT of the property).  3) You can control the bandwidth of each network and keep it balanced 50/50... so if one guest is running 5 Netflix shows doesn’t impact the speed of the other

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    Strong wifi or run an ethernet cable next door. Either will work.

  • Property Manager · Columbia, SC · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 163 votes
    6y

    We have 4 duplexes and in all of them we have a single router that will broadcast a wifi signal for both units to save the $50 / month.  Its a bit more expensive but I like to purchase the Google Wifi router.  It has strong signal and you can monitor & reset the router remotely from the Google Wifi app.  Also, it is a mesh router, so you can always add another one to your network if you need to extend the signal.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    My cable modems will let me have two network names with 2 different passwords.  I think one is 2.6 ghz and it can carry a lot of data but doesn't have much range.  The 5.2 ghz will have range, but it can be a little short on data.  

    With that info, put your 2.6 downstairs and let the upstairs log in to the 5.2

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    I have a long building that used to be the town bowling alley and I use an extender on each with a router in the middle

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y


    Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

    I have a long building that used to be the town bowling alley and I use an extender on each with a router in the middle

     I used to manage a bowling center in Edwardsville Illinois.  24 lanes. Internet did not exist at that time.  The most high tech thing people had were beepers.

  • Rental Property Investor · PA & NJ · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Julie McCoy thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · PA & NJ · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Thanks everyone, super helpful!

  • Marvin MengPro Member
    Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2014 · 142 posts · 54 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:


    Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

    I have a long building that used to be the town bowling alley and I use an extender on each with a router in the middle

     I used to manage a bowling center in Edwardsville Illinois.  24 lanes. Internet did not exist at that time.  The most high tech thing people had were beepers.

     Montclaire Bowl???

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Marvin Meng:
    Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:


    Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

    I have a long building that used to be the town bowling alley and I use an extender on each with a router in the middle

     I used to manage a bowling center in Edwardsville Illinois.  24 lanes. Internet did not exist at that time.  The most high tech thing people had were beepers.

     Montclaire Bowl???

    2005 LeClere Avenue.  Hytens dentist office is on the south side.  The city swimming pool is on the north.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.