8 Bedroom Cabin in the Smokies?

8 Bedroom Cabin in the Smokies?

Lawton, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 25 votes

Hello! My wife and I own 20 LTR units in OK, WY. Following Avery's excellent STR episode, we decided to try something new and venture into an STR in the smokies. We decided to use our VA loan to purchase initially and plan to occupy a cabin there as our primary residence for a year. I'm a consultant and am on the road (in the air) every week, so we are not locationally tied. My wife is getting out of the army this year, and it will be a great spot to recharge prior to renting it as an STR in late 2021.

We currently have an 8 bed/7bath 4,500 sqft cabin under contract with beautiful views in Wears Valley.  As I’ve read through the forums, it seems like most self-managers here have 2-3 bedroom cabins in the smokies. As I look on AirBnB, there are not a lot of properties with 8 bedrooms listed. Do any of you have larger cabins like this? How do they rent? Any concern that we are pricing ourself out of the market with a colossal cabin that only a small portion of renters would look at? Thanks for any insight!

- Abe

3Reply
107 views

Most Popular Reply

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

A nice 8 bedroom cabin in the Smokies will do well.  It is obviously going to be appealing to family reunions, wedding parties, and two/three families meeting up for vacation.  As Luke said, it won't stay as booked - this will typically be a long weekends and holidays cabin - but your nightly rent will be substantial, simply because there is a limited supply of these cabins.

One word of caution on large cabins:  We have managed these types of properties in the past, and they are repair/maintenance intensive.  Large groups of people together for several days can be quite hard on a house.  We were constantly repairing furniture, broken chairs, touching up walls, unplugging potties, etc.  What we found is that folks at these types of cabins often spend quite a lot of time actually at the cabin.  So the math works against you in terms of repairs/maintenance.  Contrast this with a smaller cabin, where the guests quite literally are often just sleeping there, and rarely even cook.

On a large cabin such as the one you are looking at, I am going to budget $10,000-12,000 a year for repairs and maintenance to be safe.  Some years you might get by with $5,000; others it might be $25K because you are having to replace a bunch of furniture, etc.  

As a side note, we have had a much better ROI on furniture getting the good stuff. Ashley-grade furniture needs replacing often. As an experiment, we went with high end leather in our newest cabin - several Ralph Lauren pieces and a couple of Drexel, and they are extremely durable. Twice the price, but I think it pays off. My $.02.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    You don’t see as many 8 bedroom cabins because there aren’t as many. They just don’t exist. You’re probably talking 1% of the market while 2 bedrooms make up something like 50%

    Look at it this way do you want to be competing with 98% of the market or have yourself a niche? I think it’ll work. @Avery Carl will know much more about this than I do as she deals with them all day every day. 

    Your occupancy will be lower and your reservations will be much further in advance than a small cabin. But your price per booking will be through the roof. 

    You’re buying the apartment building of short term rentals. Many folks will tell you single family is a a waste of time. 

    Bravo! 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y

    Sounds like you have partially answered your own question about only a smaller portion of renters will look at something that big as smaller groups will be less likely to afford a house bigger than they need.

    From reading other posts it seems like a 4 bedroom house may be the sweet spot. 

    Look at other Vrbo and Airbnb listings for houses this large and check their calendars and pricing and see if the larger house makes sense.

  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Luke Carl That makes sense. It seems like the vast majority of the 6-10 bedroom cabins are rented on local PMs sites. At least during the summer, they are mostly rented out. Rates vary from $400-$1,100/night depending on holidays etc. Maybe having one of these that is not on a PM platform/site will give it an edge. 

  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @John Underwood Completely agree. I think it’s really a supply/demand issue. If there are only a few of these available and there are more renters looking for them, then great. If there are fewer renters looking than cabins available, that is a problem. I’ll do some more research. 

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    A nice 8 bedroom cabin in the Smokies will do well.  It is obviously going to be appealing to family reunions, wedding parties, and two/three families meeting up for vacation.  As Luke said, it won't stay as booked - this will typically be a long weekends and holidays cabin - but your nightly rent will be substantial, simply because there is a limited supply of these cabins.

    One word of caution on large cabins:  We have managed these types of properties in the past, and they are repair/maintenance intensive.  Large groups of people together for several days can be quite hard on a house.  We were constantly repairing furniture, broken chairs, touching up walls, unplugging potties, etc.  What we found is that folks at these types of cabins often spend quite a lot of time actually at the cabin.  So the math works against you in terms of repairs/maintenance.  Contrast this with a smaller cabin, where the guests quite literally are often just sleeping there, and rarely even cook.

    On a large cabin such as the one you are looking at, I am going to budget $10,000-12,000 a year for repairs and maintenance to be safe.  Some years you might get by with $5,000; others it might be $25K because you are having to replace a bunch of furniture, etc.  

    As a side note, we have had a much better ROI on furniture getting the good stuff. Ashley-grade furniture needs replacing often. As an experiment, we went with high end leather in our newest cabin - several Ralph Lauren pieces and a couple of Drexel, and they are extremely durable. Twice the price, but I think it pays off. My $.02.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    Congratulations, Abe!

    My friends own a large retreat in Cody called Bull Moose Retreat.

    Their rates are low right now and they're not even booked for half the summer, but these are unusual times. They are normally booked solid throughout the summer.

    I also have friends that manage vacation rentals and I keep an eye on the market. Majority of vacation rentals are one or two bedroom guest homes. At least 75% of all vacation rentals in our area have three or fewer bedrooms and try to cram as many guests in as possible. The property that is in most demand are larger homes with 5 + bedrooms that can handle two or more families and larger groups. 

    A decent hotel room in Cody will cost $250 a night. A family of five (or two couples) would pay $500 for two rooms. No views, no outdoor space, no kitchen, no table to sit and play games or share a bottle if wine, etc. For the same price, that family can have a beautiful cabin with stunning views, a fully-equipped kitchen just like home, private bedrooms, and much more. 

    The larger homes perform better due to economy of scale. If priced correctly, six couples could rent your large home for much less than it would cost to rent individual hotel rooms and they'll save more by cooking their own meals. 

    This year may be an anomaly but I think you'll do just fine. I have no experience in the Smokies but out here usually takes a couple years to build up a reputation, workout kinks, and start getting repeat business.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Abe DeHart It's definitely a niche but your returns can be excellent - as has already been stated, cabins this size are not nearly so common, and demand for large groups staying will allow you to charge a premium, so long as the cabin is nice and offers amenities in line with its competition.

    I've found that there's more large cabins like that on VRBO than AirBNB, so make sure you list there also.  

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I've got 23 STRs in my town.  Refinery contractors are my tenants.  Half of my places are 2BR and they get rented out quite often.  Most of the other places are 3BR or 4BR, and they get rented out less often, but the weekly rate is greater.  I have a 3 story house with 8 beds and 4 baths.  It doesn't get rented out that often, but it brings in the most money each week when it does get rented out.

    At the end of the year, all the places gross about the same amount of money regardless of their size.

    The 3 story house is my man cave.  The bedrooms are decorated like Hugh Hefner's mansion, the rest is decorated like a frat house.  I put a kegorator in there.  There is a vacant lot next door that I spread pigeon and starling bait on.  I keep a scoped .22 cal pellet rifle in there and snipe the pigeons and starlings.  It's also haunted.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I have a vision of what you mean by cabin but I wouldn't consider 8 bedrooms a cabin, that's a large woodland retreat.   By definition a cabin is a small woodland retreat, but I guess it is perspective. 

    There isn't as much demand for large places but whenever we need one we look the same places we do for smaller locations VRBO/AIRBNB and we know not to expect to find the volume you will of small cabins. If you plan to live there given the size you could Airbnb rooms/sections of the house from the start to get a feel for STR but the layout may make it more/less palatable.

  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 25 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Collin Hays:

    A nice 8 bedroom cabin in the Smokies will do well.  It is obviously going to be appealing to family reunions, wedding parties, and two/three families meeting up for vacation.  As Luke said, it won't stay as booked - this will typically be a long weekends and holidays cabin - but your nightly rent will be substantial, simply because there is a limited supply of these cabins.

    One word of caution on large cabins:  We have managed these types of properties in the past, and they are repair/maintenance intensive.  Large groups of people together for several days can be quite hard on a house.  We were constantly repairing furniture, broken chairs, touching up walls, unplugging potties, etc.  What we found is that folks at these types of cabins often spend quite a lot of time actually at the cabin.  So the math works against you in terms of repairs/maintenance.  Contrast this with a smaller cabin, where the guests quite literally are often just sleeping there, and rarely even cook.

    On a large cabin such as the one you are looking at, I am going to budget $10,000-12,000 a year for repairs and maintenance to be safe.  Some years you might get by with $5,000; others it might be $25K because you are having to replace a bunch of furniture, etc.  

    As a side note, we have had a much better ROI on furniture getting the good stuff. Ashley-grade furniture needs replacing often. As an experiment, we went with high end leather in our newest cabin - several Ralph Lauren pieces and a couple of Drexel, and they are extremely durable. Twice the price, but I think it pays off. My $.02.

    Collin - Great point. I hadn’t thought of the fact that more time would be spent at the cabin and maintenance would be higher. It makes complete sense. The budget is also very helpful. I will certainly set aside some reserves along the lines of what you suggest.

  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 25 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    Congratulations, Abe!

    My friends own a large retreat in Cody called Bull Moose Retreat.

    Their rates are low right now and they're not even booked for half the summer, but these are unusual times. They are normally booked solid throughout the summer.

    I also have friends that manage vacation rentals and I keep an eye on the market. Majority of vacation rentals are one or two bedroom guest homes. At least 75% of all vacation rentals in our area have three or fewer bedrooms and try to cram as many guests in as possible. The property that is in most demand are larger homes with 5 + bedrooms that can handle two or more families and larger groups. 

    A decent hotel room in Cody will cost $250 a night. A family of five (or two couples) would pay $500 for two rooms. No views, no outdoor space, no kitchen, no table to sit and play games or share a bottle if wine, etc. For the same price, that family can have a beautiful cabin with stunning views, a fully-equipped kitchen just like home, private bedrooms, and much more. 

    The larger homes perform better due to economy of scale. If priced correctly, six couples could rent your large home for much less than it would cost to rent individual hotel rooms and they'll save more by cooking their own meals. 

    This year may be an anomaly but I think you'll do just fine. I have no experience in the Smokies but out here usually takes a couple years to build up a reputation, workout kinks, and start getting repeat business.

    Nathan - Thanks! This is helpful. I know many of my friends would link up with friends and rent something like this out. If they think about it by cost/bed it’s fairly low cost.  

  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 25 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Julie McCoy:

    @Abe DeHart It's definitely a niche but your returns can be excellent - as has already been stated, cabins this size are not nearly so common, and demand for large groups staying will allow you to charge a premium, so long as the cabin is nice and offers amenities in line with its competition.

    I've found that there's more large cabins like that on VRBO than AirBNB, so make sure you list there also.  

    Planning to check out VRBO this evening. I noticed that AirBnB only allows you to input put to 16 adults, but VRBO is at least 20, so that may be one reason why there are larger options posted there.

  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 25 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Paul Sandhu:

    I've got 23 STRs in my town.  Refinery contractors are my tenants.  Half of my places are 2BR and they get rented out quite often.  Most of the other places are 3BR or 4BR, and they get rented out less often, but the weekly rate is greater.  I have a 3 story house with 8 beds and 4 baths.  It doesn't get rented out that often, but it brings in the most money each week when it does get rented out.

    At the end of the year, all the places gross about the same amount of money regardless of their size.

    The 3 story house is my man cave.  The bedrooms are decorated like Hugh Hefner's mansion, the rest is decorated like a frat house.  I put a kegorator in there.  There is a vacant lot next door that I spread pigeon and starling bait on.  I keep a scoped .22 cal pellet rifle in there and snipe the pigeons and starlings.  It's also haunted.

    Interesting that they all gross the same. I hope that would not be the case for a rental in the Smokies, or I should be looking for a  2 bed at 1/3 of the price. 

  • Property Manager · Pigeon Forge · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 208 votes
    6y

    I own a 7 bedroom and an 8 bedroom (and smaller) and can answer any specifics you've got on them.

    My COC return has been crazy good on them -- way more than my 1 BRs. Since you can afford to take down a big cabin, you'll get great results (assuming you didn't get in for too much money).

    Wear-wise, I'd say that generally speaking it's about the same.  Granted, big groups are rougher on the cabins but as long as your decor/furniture/floors are quality you'll be fine.

    I have a few suggestions learned the hard way:

    -  Minimum night stay is good to help avoid the kind of parties you don't want.  I do 3 day mins with 4 during peaks.
    - DON'T PRICE TOO LOW.  I've had a couple of party groups come in and work the cabins over.  When 20 people get together and pitch in $200 each for a long weekend, they will probably party hard.
    - Require the booking party be 25 years old.
    - Request a copy of their ID.
    - Be prepared to handle damage claims within hours on same day turns.  I had one group that spilled alcohol and OJ all over the entire first floor, literally break the door off the oven, and have wars with trash in the front yard.  I submitted an 80 page claim with airbnb within three hours and the host guarantee paid out $1700 within a couple of weeks.

    I started managing the cabin myself after one of the large local shops wasn't maximizing my money.  (After all, if they have 300 cabins, why do they care if you're at 40% utilization instead of 80-90%?)

    Totally happy to help guide you through this.  It's a wild ride!

  • Lawton, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 25 votes
    6y
    Justin - This is really helpful. Your suggestions are excellent. I spent some time on VRBO the last couple days and it looks like these large cabins really are renting well. At least during the summer and fall. I’ll reach out to you to take some more time to talk. On the damage claims, are you doing those while remote? Does your house cleaner take the photos? Or are you in the area yourself? 

    I’m also interested in talking about how to scale to an additional cabin if the first one works out. I assume financing would be a challenge (at least for me) for multiple 8br cabins.


    Originally posted by @Justin Anderson:

    I own a 7 bedroom and an 8 bedroom (and smaller) and can answer any specifics you've got on them.

    My COC return has been crazy good on them -- way more than my 1 BRs. Since you can afford to take down a big cabin, you'll get great results (assuming you didn't get in for too much money).

    Wear-wise, I'd say that generally speaking it's about the same.  Granted, big groups are rougher on the cabins but as long as your decor/furniture/floors are quality you'll be fine.

    I have a few suggestions learned the hard way:

    -  Minimum night stay is good to help avoid the kind of parties you don't want.  I do 3 day mins with 4 during peaks.
    - DON'T PRICE TOO LOW.  I've had a couple of party groups come in and work the cabins over.  When 20 people get together and pitch in $200 each for a long weekend, they will probably party hard.
    - Require the booking party be 25 years old.
    - Request a copy of their ID.
    - Be prepared to handle damage claims within hours on same day turns.  I had one group that spilled alcohol and OJ all over the entire first floor, literally break the door off the oven, and have wars with trash in the front yard.  I submitted an 80 page claim with airbnb within three hours and the host guarantee paid out $1700 within a couple of weeks.

    I started managing the cabin myself after one of the large local shops wasn't maximizing my money.  (After all, if they have 300 cabins, why do they care if you're at 40% utilization instead of 80-90%?)

    Totally happy to help guide you through this.  It's a wild ride!

  • Property Manager · Pigeon Forge · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 208 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Abe DeHart:

    I generally do everything remote, so it's definitely possible.  As far as renting goes, Jan/Feb are slow but the rest of the year is good.

    And yes, the cleaners take photos.  They're your boots on the ground and need to be awesome for you to succeed.  

    Scaling up is hard after you no longer have the funds for down payments and most of us hit that at some point.  You can read about it all over the flipping forum where they talk about BRRRRRRR for ideas on creative financing.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.